Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just dropped my PM off unannounced for service Sunday night at my dealership. It is 14 months old now and has just under 9,000 miles on it. While working out of it over the weekend, the back door handle gave up the ghost as some others have previously reported. This has been harder to pull and operate since the rear door latches were adjusted to eliminate my previous snow leakage issue. Just pulled it like normal and snap, what a bummer. The van is only half as useful with back doors that don't open. Anyway, I had several other things I've been saving up for the dealer to do. So I figured it was a good time for my second service punch list.

1. Lube and filter.

2. Rotate tires straight front to back.

3. Outside rear cargo door handle has stopped working. Also these doors have been adjusted once already, but continue to make noise when going over bumps etc. I understand there is a service bulletin about this that involves replacing the latches. This is what caused me to drop it off for service without an appointment. The latch broke this weekend and the van is not very useful without operating rear doors.

4. There is some evidence of the known problem with radiator leakage. You refilled the coolant the last time it was in for service. The level has dropped slightly again. There is a dried orange / red droplet residue present at the passenger side of the radiator core where the core meets the plastic end cap. As I understand it, this is where the problem commonly shows up.

5. The screen on the Uconnect system goes unresponsive occasionally, usually after switching back from the backup camera, and or the bluetooth for the phone. It will remain unresponsive until the ignition switch is cycled, then it usually comes back to life.

6. Please turn off the seat belt alarm. According to the manual this is able to be done only by the dealer.

7. Please check the status of parts availability to repair the squealing brakes. You have previously started a star case for this.

8. Is it possible to reprogram the radio and the interior lights to stay on longer before automatically turning off. Something closer to an hour for the radio and 1/2 hour for the interior lights would be much handier.

I knew dropping it off unannounced for a list like this might raise some eyebrows, but I thought meh! I stopped by to visit the service manager today and check on their schedule. They said they may not get to it today, it might be tomorrow (understandable). I told them they could have it several days if necessary. We'll see how it goes. They don't always do everything exactly the way I'd like it, but some of this may be Chrysler protocol on how warranty items are to be handled. Overall, I can't complain about Van Horn Dodge in Plymouth, WI, they are getting right on my repairs even though I didn't have an appointment. I'll report back once the service is complete.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So they called mid-day today (Wednesday) to say they were as far as they could go on my service requests due to back ordered parts. They had the van for two and a half days. I didn't think that was too bad considering I didn't have an appointment prior to dropping it off Sunday night. I had also told them I didn't need the van this week. The progress is as follows:

1. Lube and filter.

Complete as requested. They told me my first three oil changes were free every 4000 miles during the first year of ownership. I fully expected that the first one was the only free one I would get because I hadn't hit 8000 miles in the first year. They didn't charge me for this one either even though my PM was purchased 8-1-14. Rather generous of them.

2. Rotate tires straight front to back.

Completed as requested. This was my first rotation. The fronts were down to 11/32" and the rears were at 15/32". The Continentals aren't awesome by any means, but I'm too cheap to replace them. I'll keep them until they're shot.

3. Outside rear cargo door handle has stopped working. Also these doors have been adjusted once already, but continue to make noise when going over bumps etc. I understand there is a service bulletin about this that involves replacing the latches. This is what caused me to drop it off for service without an appointment. The latch broke this weekend and the van is not very useful without operating rear doors.

The tech said the cable came disconnected from one of the latches in the door. He reattached it and it works again. Yay, I wasn't looking forward to waiting for parts to come and having the back doors non-functional. He also noted that the TSB on the rear door latches should be performed and ordered 1 latch 68226087AB, 1 latch 68226088AB, 1 lock 68226089AC, and 1 striker 68232446AA to perform this. All parts for this are currently on back order. Shame on Chrysler!

4. There is some evidence of the known problem with radiator leakage. You refilled the coolant the last time it was in for service. The level has dropped slightly again. There is a dried orange / red droplet residue present at the passenger side of the radiator core where the core meets the plastic end cap. As I understand it, this is where the problem commonly shows up.

They pressure tested the cooling system again. The result was no leakage found. I will keep monitoring this. I have plenty of time and miles left on the warranty. At this point it is more about building a case to cover myself later on. I will readily admit the leak at this point is minute and wouldn't even be on the radar if I wasn't aware of the history.

5. The screen on the Uconnect system goes unresponsive occasionally, usually after switching back from the backup camera, and or the bluetooth for the phone. It will remain unresponsive until the ignition switch is cycled, then it usually comes back to life.

They performed the Uconnect update which is supposed to eliminate this problem.

6. Please turn off the seat belt alarm. According to the manual this is able to be done only by the dealer.

They refused to do this siting liability issues. Not no way, not no how. Shame on Chrysler again. This should be able to be set by the owner, not only the dealer. Really hate this nanny state in which we live.

7. Please check the status of parts availability to repair the squealing brakes. You have previously started a star case for this.

Yay, after much anticipation, they have the front brake pad replacements #6823015AC on order, or more accurately back order (shame on Chrysler again). This will be done under warranty no charge.

8. Is it possible to reprogram the radio and the interior lights to stay on longer before automatically turning off. Something closer to an hour for the radio and 1/2 hour for the interior lights would be much handier.

They said they are not able to reprogram either of these settings. I'll just have to deal with it, or wire in an alternate power source. Oh well.

They also checked for moisture and proper sealant of the clearance lights without even being prompted by me. Adda boy guys, way to be thorough!

Overall I think it was a fairly productive service visit. As has been the norm, parts availability still is not up to speed, but at least we have acknowledgement of some of the issues and resolution is on the horizon. For those of you that have had dealer issues, I would recommend my dealer, Van Horn Dodge in Plymouth, WI. They have been very helpful.

Reactions: ericsram

·
Registered
91 Posts
The tech said the cable came disconnected from one of the latches in the door. He reattached it and it works again. Yay, I wasn't looking forward to waiting for parts to come and having the back doors non-functional. He also noted that the TSB on the rear door latches should be performed and ordered 1 latch 68226087AB, 1 latch 68226088AB, 1 lock 68226089AC, and 1 striker 68232446AA to perform this. All parts for this are currently on back order. Shame on Chrysler!...

I've been waiting for these back-ordered parts for over a month now.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My PM was in today for the front brake pad and rear door latch upgrades. The parts arrived about a month ago, but I haven't had time to take it in. The odometer shows 10,000 miles today. Its about 16 months old. This was first documented and a Star Case started by the dealer when I got my first oil change at 4,000 miles. This was completed at no cost to me. The work order says they used part #68230105AC . Mine is the 2500 159". Not sure if the part differs between models. Some have said that the TSB doesn't refer to 1500 series vans. I know we've discussed previously the differences or lack there of between weight classes. I don't know why the TSB wouldn't cover all weight classes if the brake parts are all the same. My impression, the first 10 miles with the new pads is that they are totally silent. I'm glad I waited for the proper repair on this. The aerosol fix every five or ten thousand miles wasn't going to cut it for me.

Reactions: ericsram

·
Registered
810 Posts

The tech said the cable came disconnected from one of the latches in the door. He reattached it and it works again. Yay, I wasn't looking forward to waiting for parts to come and having the back doors non-functional. He also noted that the TSB on the rear door latches should be performed and ordered 1 latch 68226087AB, 1 latch 68226088AB, 1 lock 68226089AC, and 1 striker 68232446AA to perform this. All parts for this are currently on back order. Shame on Chrysler!

Same exact thing for me.
Tech reattached the cable.
I asked him to show me how its done.
Parts back ordered.
Mine snapped off during its first cold snap lower than 30°f.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same exact thing for me.
Tech reattached the cable.
I asked him to show me how its done.
Parts back ordered.
Mine snapped off during its first cold snap lower than 30°f.
I'm hoping that whatever got replaced with the new latch and strikes will take some of the stress off of this cable linkage. I haven't gotten time to play with it yet since my van came back yesterday. I'm laid up for a couple days with a bum leg.:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts