Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently constructing super-strut[Kindorf]internal skeleton to support a 60'' x 96'',1/2'' thick 80lb King Starboard plastic sheet,40sq.ft second floor on top of danvandam's Van. Will post pictures of the process. It has been a fun project. Ram ProMaster,is the perfect platform,for this unusual add on alteration. Thanks for all other member ideas and photo's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5' X 8' open space for tent,mattress,lawn chair,anything temporary while camping. Will eventually use second floor as viewing platform while attending Nascar and airshows.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Good idea. And, especially if there's an air gap between roof and platform, that should help a lot with heat from sun. Looking forward to seeing pix.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi! ha3dy_j1s. Actually,the plastic weatherproof sheet is hard but flexible.It is primarily for Marine use. It will lay flush on the roof,with no gap in between. I do not want a raised roof rack or platform, making it more than 96''off the ground,voiding it PKWY compatible. White in color,it will protect+insulate from hot+cold weather. All the roofs recessed-concave corrugated sunken ribs and seams,will be filled with PVC-composite strips & silicone sealant,so water will not stand for any chance of mildew & rust. The 5' x 8' sheet will be held down in place between two 10' channels facing in to each other,bolted through the roof,on either side of the six existing nipples. Each rail rides directly over the three 1/2''tall roof rack placement points,serving as guides to keep the channel rails from compressing the cheap sheet metal roof,which is flush with the top of the 6 nipples. Sounds crazy,but I think it's going to work. The hard part was strengthening the existing super structure from the inside floor to ceiling.These vertical risers also offer support of storage cabinets. If interested, sometime take a nine or ten foot straight edge. I would recommend a 10' length of Home Depot super strut with holes,so you can see where it could be applied and attached inside or out-floor,ceiling,roof. I was an electrician,so I love kindorf. I have two 10 foot channels bolted to existing holes in the ceilings ribs,that serve as backbones. Later,3/4''EMT[Electrical Metal Tubing]slightly bent-contoured, 6-will be attached across horizontally to strengthen each of the three existing cross member ribs. Have already glued,screwed+bolted 1/2''+3/4''shaped plywood strips 4''x55'' across rear door overhead frame,covering oversized holes looking in wasted space behind clearance lights. I was very fortunate,to be able to compare the last two generations of Ram Vans next to each other. This new ProMaster's sheet metal is inferior to earlier vehicles. Great way to ruin the roof,just stand on it. That was not a problem with my last two vans. I at least layed a 4' x 8' plywood before testing. I could feel the stock roof and side walls flexing in + out,far too easy. Obviously,I have the time to go through all this trouble, wanting a second floor on my van. It has been a fun project. When completed,I will have 4' x 10'=40sq ft floor space inside,and 5' x 8'=40sq ft,available out on-up top. I will post pictures of the process.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Hi! ha3dy_j1s. Actually,the plastic weatherproof sheet is hard but flexible.It is primarily for Marine use. It will lay flush on the roof,with no gap in between. I do not want a raised roof rack or platform,making it more than 96''off the ground,voiding it PKWY compatible. ....cut....
I'm curious -- how flexible? If it's too flexible, won't it allow the roof to bend when you stand between two adjacent roof ribs? And if too stiff it won't follow the contour of the roof. You must feel you have it just right.:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi! Chance. Yes,there are three unsupported 26 inch wide open areas between the eight foot long span. I am hoping the King Starboard is stiff enough enough to compensate-spread strength. The internal vertical risers only support the side walls from blowing out. They are bolted into the ten foot ceiling backbones,running front to back. Now I need horizontal bridging,without sacrificing absolutely any head room. 6-Bent 3/4''EMT running on the 90 degree convex flange of all three cross ribs.[2for each rib.1on each side] EMT=pipe,will be cut to sit atop ceiling backbones 1.5/8 x 1.5/8 kindorf with slotted holes. Rectangular 1/4'' super strut spring nut slides perfectly into the end of the pipe with drilled hole down,bolted up through kindorf,through pipe into nut without spring, keeping pipe in place. If needed,I can later add several improvised horizontal supports across the three open areas. Either way,the entire 80lb weight of the plastic,will be pressing down on the roof's 1.1/2'' crown. 5' x 8' sits pretty between,soon to be installed SunRoof-Escape Hatch and rear end area above back doors. Here is info on this plastic product. http://www.kingplastic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/King-StarBoard-XL-Literature.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts