Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to site build a bench seat parallel to the wall behind the driver. There will be storage (battery etc.) below. I'd like to get a seat belt on it for a passenger, and my understanding is that a seat in this configuration only needs a lap belt. Has anyone done this? Is it as simple as bolting the seatbelt to the floor?

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a shoulder seat belt for a sideways seat in an RV. Yes, just need lap belts and bolt them through the floor with plenty of reinforcement under the floor.

I'm also planning a sideways bench seat. Mine will have a pull out bed mechanism. One of the primary reasons I began looking at the Promaster was because you can sleep transversely due to the ~6'3" of space. Can't do that with a Transit or Sprinter.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a shoulder seat belt for a sideways seat in an RV. Yes, just need lap belts and bolt them through the floor with plenty of reinforcement under the floor.

I'm also planning a sideways bench seat. Mine will have a pull out bed mechanism. One of the primary reasons I began looking at the Promaster was because you can sleep transversely due to the ~6'3" of space. Can't do that with a Transit or Sprinter.
Id be very interested in your bench with a pull out bed mechanism. . Please post up a link (s) to what you intend to get and wherw.
thank you... thata exactly what i am looking for.
or else ill just stick a futon back there up against the wall.
thanks again

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Id be very interested in your bench with a pull out bed mechanism. . Please post up a link (s) to what you intend to get and wherw.
thank you... thata exactly what i am looking for.
or else ill just stick a futon back there up against the wall.
thanks again
Well, I've decided against it for space reasons but this is the best fold out sofa I found (and I looked everywhere): http://www.wayfair.com/Istikbal-Twist-Convertible-Loveseat-10-TWI-S1193-02-0-L305-K~ISB1068.html?refid=TPNP49-ISB1068

I found it cheaper at a store in NYC that shipped cheap but can't locate the link now.

I'm going to build my own (wish me luck).

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Here's the design I'm using. On mine, there will be two couches across from each other. For a single couch, a block on the wall could support the bed panel 2x4's.

Makes a 6' x 6' bed... sleep either way. With 2 couches, it can be 2 separate beds with an aisle. with my design, the center filler will be stored in the basement.

P1080165.jpg

bed.jpg

Nothing new or exciting here, but may help with DIY ideas!

More info at www.empowersites.com/edsvan

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Planning to site build a bench seat parallel to the wall behind the driver. There will be storage (battery etc.) below. I'd like to get a seat belt on it for a passenger, and my understanding is that a seat in this configuration only needs a lap belt. Has anyone done this? Is it as simple as bolting the seatbelt to the floor?
As others have said, every RV I've ever seen only had lap belt for side-riding passengers. Understand, however, that in a serious frontal collision that's not great protection. Lap belts only can cause back injuries even when passenger faces forward, so riding side wards is probably much more dangerous.

Since a shoulder harnesses is too dangerous while seated sidewards, I'd install the lap belt so passenger rides just behind the driver's seat. That's what I prefer when I have a third person because I like to imagine that the back of the driver seat may offer some protection against body twisting more so resulting in back injury.

As to seat belt attachment, it depends on how strong the seat base is. If made of plywood or any wood, I'd attach to floor. If seat base is made of steel and designed for collision load, I'd attach the seat belts to the structure. In that case the seat base has to be attached to floor very securely.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. I was going to ask where to buy seat belts, but instead I just googled it. Turns out there's a site called seatbeltsplus.com. Who knew.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
As others have said, every RV I've ever seen only had lap belt for side-riding passengers. Understand, however, that in a serious frontal collision that's not great protection. Lap belts only can cause back injuries even when passenger faces forward, so riding side wards is probably much more dangerous.
That's why RV insurance intrigues me so much. Seems like people seated sideways in the back would be in a bad spot, especially in a front-into-a-wall accident. How can RV insurance be so cheap with lots of liability? I know, not many RV accidents, but...

Since a shoulder harnesses is too dangerous while seated sidewards, I'd install the lap belt so passenger rides just behind the driver's seat. That's what I prefer when I have a third person because I like to imagine that the back of the driver seat may offer some protection against body twisting more so resulting in back injury.
Passenger facing toward the front of van or back? or sideways?

Just wondering....

Ed

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
That's why RV insurance intrigues me so much. Seems like people seated sideways in the back would be in a bad spot, especially in a front-into-a-wall accident. How can RV insurance be so cheap with lots of liability? I know, not many RV accidents, but...

Passenger facing toward the front of van or back? or sideways?

Just wondering....

Ed
Ed, you are right. Not many RV accidents occur by comparison to cars. Let's not forget the average RV is only driven around 5000 miles per year. We also don't have teenagers driving, or as many drunks, etc..... As a group they are relatively safe drivers, although advanced age may adversely affect safety a little for some. Many RVs usually only have two occupants, so they mostly ride in captains chairs facing forward anyway. And it doesn't hurt that many RVs outweigh cars and even SUVs by a wide margin.

Anyway, I have a sideways facing seat just behind my driver's seat. My wife and I normally travel alone and sit in the two forward-facing captain's chairs with shoulder harnesses. It's only when we have a guess traveling with us that anyone sits side wards. The last time I remember anyone traveling more than a few miles in back it was my daughter, and that was probably 5 years ago or longer.

For my next van I will likely have forward facing seats or dinette with forward and backwards seating.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
My other thought is that I could actually seat people front-facing at the end of my couch. (see pic above, or on website)

If I could come up with a temporary seatback attached to the couch top, I could use the threaded hole in the column and install a shoulder belt.

Thinking about the design of that.

Ed

·
Registered
810 Posts
I put my old Ford Transit Connect rear seats in my Promaster.
They sit sideways up against the drivers side. They are rarely used also. And always when parked for resting, socialize or stretching out when parked. They work out great.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My other thought is that I could actually seat people front-facing at the end of my couch. (see pic above, or on website)

If I could come up with a temporary seatback attached to the couch top, I could use the threaded hole in the column and install a shoulder belt.

Thinking about the design of that.

Ed
Is that what those threaded holes are for? I've been wondering about that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts