Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.promasteraccessories.com/swivels.htm

Has anyone tried these seat swivels or have any opinions?

The factory ordered swivels from Dodge are not currently available. These are actually less expensive than the factory swivels ($263 + S&H vs. $425 MSRP, $378 Invoice for the OEM swivels)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Seems like a good product, much cheaper than OEM, but people always say OEM is best.
It is also an investment, maybe spend a bit more for a "better" OEM product?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I wish that after market shops would post pictures of their parts actually installed in the vehicle. Why do you want the swivel seat? I don't find it to be a particularly useful function.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish that after market shops would post pictures of their parts actually installed in the vehicle. Why do you want the swivel seat? I don't find it to be a particularly useful function.
I plan to convert the PM into a camper and want the seats to swivel around into the living space in the back.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds like a useful function to me!

What else are you looking to use for the conversion?
A lot of people convert sprinters into campers which you can read about on the sprinter forum. Some of those people possess craftsman skills that I don't have. So my plan is for a simple conversion.

One of the reasons I am interested in the PM is the 74" width. This would allow a king size bed (California King 72 X 84) to fit. I hope to have the bed height be adjustable by using vertical E track on the side walls with removable 2X4 supports for the basic bed frame, plywood on top for the bed platform. The bed could be raised up high to accommodate bicycles underneath and lowered when needed.

I also hope to be able to carry Kayaks near the ceiling by using the optional above cab shelf and some sort of support at the back.

I already have a lot of camping equipment that I could use inside or outside the PM.

I haven't worked out all the details yet and some of this may not work, so I continue to read about other's experiences and refine my plans.

·
Registered
104 Posts
An entire king size bed!? That seems awfully big to fit back there if you want to put much else back there as well. Good luck though. You'll have to let us know how it goes.

I'm sure you could find some good DIY videos on how to turn a Promaster (or other cargo van) into a camper on Youtube, and I bet you could also find a shop that knows how to do a good job of it too.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An entire king size bed!? That seems awfully big to fit back there if you want to put much else back there as well. Good luck though. You'll have to let us know how it goes.

I'm sure you could find some good DIY videos on how to turn a Promaster (or other cargo van) into a camper on Youtube, and I bet you could also find a shop that knows how to do a good job of it too.
I am looking at the 159 EXT length which gives about 13' 4" of cargo length. The bed would use 7 feet of that. So there would be a little over 6 feet left. I could use all of that on the side opposite the slider, but on the door side only about 3 to 4 feet can be used to leave enough room to exit through the door. I'm thinking I could fit a toilet/shower combo and a small sink on the 6 foot side and a cabinet/cooler on the door side. All gear would be stored under the bed in crates or possibly some sort of drawer system. A drop down table could be attached to the wall behind the driver seat to be used when the driver seat is swiveled to the back. I may have to use a portable table on the passenger side. Since the cab floor is several inches higher than the cargo floor, the swivel seats may leave your feet dangling in air when swiveled to the back, so there would probably need to be some sort of portable foot rest.

Sportsmobile.com does custom conversions for Sprinters, Chevy and Ford vans. They have a Promaster page started, with some basic info and pricing but no specific floor plans. I talked to them a few weeks ago and they said they have been waiting for almost 4 months to get their first PM delivery. Once they get it they will take detailed measurements, create some standard floorplans and set up a blank template of the cargo area and furnishing pieces for self designed plans.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am looking at the 159 EXT length which gives about 13' 4" of cargo length. The bed would use 7 feet of that. So there would be a little over 6 feet left. I could use all of that on the side opposite the slider, but on the door side only about 3 to 4 feet can be used to leave enough room to exit through the door. I'm thinking I could fit a toilet/shower combo and a small sink on the 6 foot side and a cabinet/cooler on the door side. All gear would be stored under the bed in crates or possibly some sort of drawer system. A drop down table could be attached to the wall behind the driver seat to be used when the driver seat is swiveled to the back. I may have to use a portable table on the passenger side. Since the cab floor is several inches higher than the cargo floor, the swivel seats may leave your feet dangling in air when swiveled to the back, so there would probably need to be some sort of portable foot rest.

Sportsmobile.com does custom conversions for Sprinters, Chevy and Ford vans. They have a Promaster page started, with some basic info and pricing but no specific floor plans. I talked to them a few weeks ago and they said they have been waiting for almost 4 months to get their first PM delivery. Once they get it they will take detailed measurements, create some standard floorplans and set up a blank template of the cargo area and furnishing pieces for self designed plans.
this sounds so excellent, please keep us updated with tons of pics of build progress :D:D

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Sportsmobile in Austin has a ProMaster on their lot, as of a few weeks ago, and AFAIK, they should have it upfit in a few weeks. If interested, I can keep tabs on the progress.

My concern about the swivel seats -- do they interfere with the airbags?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this sounds so excellent, please keep us updated with tons of pics of build progress :D:D
If I ever get there, I will certainly document whatever I build. But I may not get there. Right now I am waiting for a few factory options to become available again. By the time they do come back, details of the Ford Transit may begin to emerge.

The Promaster is a better size for me but is still pretty basic (no rear seats or window van yet)

From what I have seen on the Transit, they will have multiple seating options and possibly rear windows that open. I could add these items to a PM from aftermarket customizers, but that tends to be more expensive than getting them from a factory option.

So I will wait to see what develops in the next few months.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sportsmobile in Austin has a ProMaster on their lot, as of a few weeks ago, and AFAIK, they should have it upfit in a few weeks. If interested, I can keep tabs on the progress.

My concern about the swivel seats -- do they interfere with the airbags?
I would be interested in Sportsmobile progress on the PM. I am on the west coast and have been talking to Sportsmobile Fresno. Perhaps Austin is closer to the factory and got theirs sooner. Or Fresno might also have one now but is still not ready to post details.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts