Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We do not have a PM yet, trying to decide between 159" high roof PM and 149" High roof Transit. We are leaning towards Promaster but I am not sure If I will be comfortable driving it.
I am not quite 5'1" and I had to pull the steering wheel all the way out and pull the seat pretty far forward. Once I did that my legs from foot to knee where pretty much vertical with 90 degrees bend at the knee. I had to push the seat back a little so I can actually use the pedals. But then it was harder for me to reach the steering wheel. My husband is 5'7" so not that tall either.

Is there a way to make some modifications to help a short person drive it more comfortably?
  • I saw a post about changing the angle of the steering wheel which might help some.
  • We are planning on converting the van to camper van and would also want to put in two swivel seats. Not sure if that would make it better or worse for driving comfort.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions and tips.
Margo

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
398 Posts
The post you mention about changing the angle should help get the wheel out farther. Swivels on the seats will raise them up for sure. Some owners have cut the seat bases to lower them some.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Some PMs (maybe all?) have seat height adjustment. Make sure that your salesperson (if you're at a dealer) goes through all the adjustments that would help make it right for you.

Then take it out for an extended drive if you can or if the vendor is willing.

Maybe others who are closer to your height can comment.

Myself, I was worried about driving position and comfort because I travel in my van. My initial impression was that the Sprinters were best, then Transits, and then Promasters. But I'm happy to report that I found my Promaster to be very comfortable to drive for long distances. Hence my recommendation to take all candidate vans out for a longer test drive (as opposed to just sitting in them on the dealer's lot).

Reactions: skeylargo

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I did not drive the Ford or Mercede.

The Ram PM we purchased lets us “tilt”the drivers seat ( back of the seat can be moved up / even the front of the seat can be moved up )

I drive with the seat flat usually, but have adjusted it temporarily on long trips. Raising the back of the seat might be helpful in your case ( The seat back can also be adjusted independently ).

The longest single day travel we have done in the van was Lake Havasu AZ to Eugene OR.

Cruise Control is ultra important to me in long distance days. I can drive with both feet flat on the floor & do not get right foot fatigue that transfers into a sore lower right back.

Good Luck !!

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
You just need a 6 way adjustable seat and a lowered base.
I have a 6 way adjustable drivers seat with CTA swivel +1.75" and 3" cut/lowered base. The result is a seat is 1.25' lower than stock. If I adjust the seat to the lowest position and slide it all the way forward my 5'1" friend can easily drive it, she can even slide the seat back a couple of clicks.
Try sitting in a Promaster with the 6 way seat full down, slid forward and imagine it with a lowered seat base as well. I think you will find it comfortable. I am 6' and I don't like the seat in the fully raised position because I like to be able to see the traffic lights without leaning way forward to see past the visor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, this is all very helpful. I will make a trip to a dealer tomorrow and take a look at the seat, especially 6 way adjustable.
We were thinking of buying a used van so finding one with an adjustable seat might be a little more difficult. But we are not in a rush to buy it so we can just look a little longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts