Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had some water leaking in around the upper gaskets on the rear doors on my high roof PM and after adjusting the latches to where there's no more daylight showing, water kept coming in. After some investigation this afternoon I noticed it looks like the previous owner must have backed into something and slightly bent the drip channel over the rear doors (under lights/camera). The bend is very minimal but it looks like when it happened it caused to pieces that join inside of the drip channel to separate. There's now 1/8" gap in some areas which seems to be allowing water to come inside and run down the face of the doors.

My question is this - what is the best product to stop the water intrusion in this area? I'm pretty sure a lap sealant would work but I was interested in knowing if there's a better product. Thanks for your thoughts.

I've attached a few pics for clarification.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Dicor lap seal non-leveling would be my choice. Smear it in with a dowel or something similar.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sikaflex is my go to for all my work on the PM. Sikaflex 221 is what I use for a all-around sealant.

Sikaflex®-221 is a Multi-Purpose One Component Polyurethane Sealant/Adhesive

See attached speck sheet

Dave

Attachments

Reactions: J L

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sikaflex is my go to for all my work on the PM. Sikaflex 221 is what I use for a all-around sealant.

Sikaflex®-221 is a Multi-Purpose One Component Polyurethane Sealant/Adhesive

See attached speck sheet

Dave
Being a polyurethane, I would assume it to be thick, correct? I've worked with other poly based caulks before but never sikaflex.

·
Registered
233 Posts
yes medium thick with a good initial tack. It works great for both sealing and light bonding

Cheers,

Dave

Reactions: J L

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Not that it will need to be removed but the Dicor can be scraped away with a putty knife and mineral spirits “dissolves” the last remnants IIRC. I know some polyurethane adhesives cannot be scraped so easily and they are not going to be dissolved by any normal chemical. I have a tube of the Dicor so it is my go-to waterproof whenever. It has never leaked!

Reactions: shreddagorge

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a quick follow up. I applied the non sag non self leveling dicor to the drain channel. I also saw that the door was rubbing the underside of the drain channel so I did a little hinge adjusting and got everything closing properly now. 2 big rain storms later and no leaks. Success!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts