Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone recommend a sealant for solar panels install when temps are in the 30 to 40 degree range?

·
Registered
259 Posts
What exactly are you sealing? Screw holes? Holes to feed the wires?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mounting solar panel brackets, screw holes, feed wires to interior, fan. I am thinking maybe I find and use some silicone roof caulk that will work in my temps here and cover it with dicor lap sealant once it gets hot. Will hit 70 degree in late May early June I think. Winter is NOT the time to do a build !!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Winter is NOT the time to do a build !!!
Yeah, this is the second time I'm doing a winter build. Not ideal!

If you can heat the area on which you are working and keep the tube warm, I'd suggest Dow U-428. The local glass shop recommended the U-428 for my fan install last time and it worked great, but I had to keep the tube warm. Even the time it took to walk outside, climb the van, and start applying made the tube hard to squeeze. This time I'm going to have an electric heater up there with me. The actual product is fine down to very low temps so curing and use is not an issue - just installation. Keep the tube really warm - literally put it in front of the heater until is warm all the way through and then keep it warm - and you will be fine.

I also ended up using some as-seen-on-TV clear liquid flex seal in the way you are talking about using lap sealant and it worked well, but was probably unnecessary. I just used it around the edges and around the screw holes in the fan.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Phil...light out at the end of the tunnel ! Can't seem to find my way out of this corner !!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would NOT use silicone! Besides the non sticking issues, low temps slow down the curing of it. Consider a heat lamp. Point it at the area to be sealed to keep it slightly warm to the touch. I have had great luck using these in the winter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would NOT use silicone! Besides the non sticking issues, low temps slow down the curing of it. Consider a heat lamp. Point it at the area to be sealed to keep it slightly warm to the touch. I have had great luck using these in the winter.
Now that sounds like something to consider. Thanks for your input !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts