Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have all of my subfloor layers down and I'm getting ready to install vinyl planks on top. After doing some research, I can't really find solid information on whether or not to seal the gap between the floor and the sheet metal wall.

A vendor recommended that I use silicone caulking between the flooring and the sheet metal, but they aren't experts in RV applications. Some people I know are also doing a conversion and they laid down black plastic up against the wall to create a bathtub-lube effect. In RVs or travel trailers I see that people are just putting the flooring all the way up to the edge and then just nailing a trim in the corner. We can't really do that since it's sheet metal and not wood.

One of my thoughts is to simply leave the gap since all of my cabinets and whatnot will be covering it up. Better to breathe and evaporate water than to seal?

Does anyone have links or references that describe a viable method?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,519 Posts
I used the foam rod from the insulation area at Lowes (goes around windows, etc.). A credit card worked great for stuffing it in and it looks good. In retrospect, I would use it only where there is a risk of something falling or spilling underneath or it shows, otherwise let it breathe.

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
You really don't have to unless, as MSN says dirt, etc might get in. You should have some expansion room and the foam insulation rod is good for this purpose. Personally I wouldn't even think about it, much less do it!

·
Registered
37 Posts
My instinct would be to let it breathe too. If you trap the space with silicone caulk, water will condense since it's next to exterior skin.

Foam rod only in places where something might fall in sounds reasonable. Silicone is so hard to remove if you ever need to. The new silicone acrylic caulks would be better if you had to caulk.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Silicone is a terrible product to use. Maybe good for a tub surround. It is a dust collector and if not done perfect it becomes
a pain to fix. A silicone mix would be ok like Dap alex. Like others have said "let it breath".

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
This issue is the Achilles heel of van floors. The vehicle is never really perfectly level so if there is a spill, then it will run to the edge and go under the floor where it becomes almost impossible to dry out. This is why we like area rugs and carpet runners throughout our van. For spill absorption. And we keep a towel handy. Our counter top has a raised lip around the perimeter. In case I spill the wine, coffee, beer....

Designed and CNC machined it myself out of 3/4" Corian. Watch the machining: https://youtu.be/Ho0jfpUtAj8

Round black button on end of cabinet and spout next to sink are for dedicated drinking water system. White cap is gravity fill when we use bottled water to fill the tank. There is also a pressure fill/drain underneath the van.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I especially like the drainboard CNCed into the Corian, nice work and so functional.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts