Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I took my van to a well known local audio shop to get a remote start installed as well as the kicker 8" sub installed. While in there, I had them install a dual USB port above the visor shelf for my dash cam and future rear view monitor. So all went well except when they installed the sub under the driver seat it was a tad too close to the right side of the inner seat frame causing a vibration when on loud setting. No biggie. I decided to just unscrew the sub and move it over but as I removed the screws which they installed (3" black drywall screws), I noticed a faint gas smell. Now at this point I was scratching my head why they first of all used, drywall screws and why 3"? I opened up the fuel pump cover between the seats and put in my snake camera and sure enough, there's the screw going through the metal floor board and into the poly tank. I called the shop and they told me to bring it to them on Tuesday. I don't know what they can do to fix, but it looks like a big job to drop the tank. Is there even a proper fix? Should the tank be replaced? I left it alone at this point.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I would insist they pay for a competent replacement of the gas tank. Anyone who would drive a drywall screw into the floor of a vehicle is not competent.

DRY WALL SCREW!!! Designed to break DRY WALL SCREW!!! Make sure he didn’t drive any through your roof when he was installing the port.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rest of it was done nicely. I went in there and added some zip ties but overall, their work looks neat. They had the van for the whole afternoon and Im sure wanted to get out of there. Typical...

·
Registered
735 Posts
Amazing how extremely rare it is these days to find competent people to do work. I haven't seen it in years. Whether it be a a dealer, mechanic or any trade related to building a home.
They're definitely pumping something into the water.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The funny thing is that I always do my own work on my vehicles. With being so busy with the business, I really just wanted to get something done a little quicker to save me some time. I love the comment about something being pumped into the water! LMAO! At the same time as frustrating as this is, I am not even upset. Not yet. I expect them to take care of it. If not, then off to the dealer to do so and stick them with the bill. Yelp, Google and the like are really good for spreading the word. I do not need to run this van just yet so its not pressuring me. Just want to get it all set up the way I like it and then introduce it to the Arizona roads and the jobs it will be visiting :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even so, they'd have to drop the tank and that itself is a doozie of a job. I would not accept that kind of repair as nothing sticks to poly plastics.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yeah, it's bad enough someone's sister finally got them to give her idiot BF a job and they let him install a subwoofer.
Don't let them try to fix a gas tank.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My tank had to be replaced soon after I drove it home from Plymouth, WI to Texas. (Great dealership where I live, I just didn't want what they had in stock.) Each time I fueled my Promaster (after I got home) the gas pump would click off after about 3 seconds. Took it to the local Dodge dealership, they ordered a new tank and installed it in a day, totally under warranty.

I would be concerned about this "audio shop" making the repair. If they were that incompetent (using dry wall screws) they probably would go back to Home Depot where they got the screws and buy Gorilla tape or Gorilla Glue to patch the puncture.

As a former television news guy, I've seen one too many people burn to death in minor traffic accidents, when gasoline lines had small and minor leaks, and ignited the tank. Just the fumes alone from a few drops of gasoline can cause serious consequences. A "repaired" leaking gas tank is not the way to go, having a new gas tank installed at a Dodge dealership is the only practical and safe solution.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Using wood screws is common practice in car audio shops, and putting hole in gas tanks is also common. In my younger days I saw that happen lots of times. The shop should replace that tank, without question.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Using wood screws is common practice in car audio shops, and putting hole in gas tanks is also common. In my younger days I saw that happen lots of times.
In my former life as a Honda rep I saw an audio amp screwed to the top of a Civic's computer under the passenger seat. The screws were a little too long and caused some drivability issues, to say the least. I give them credit for using sheet metal screws, not drywall screws, though.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The sharp tip on a sheet rock screw is why installers use them. It helps keep your drill from slipping and porting an expensive speaker cone. And if you have ever tried to screw a sheet metal screw through insulated carpet you would know what a pain it is when the insulation balls up on the tip of the sheet metal screw. Just tricks of the trade the normal guy would not really think of.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Interesting. I've put several screw types through carpet, insulation, fabric, you name it. They all grab and twist the material. Drywall screws don't do it any less.
Also, drywall screws corrode and disintegrate faster than any other screw.
It's not a trick of the trade. It's just cheap and lazy.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Screwing something to something else is not limited to the car audio industry. There's no proprietary methods that are a trade secret and unknown to the common man.
I can see someone who has no mechanical experience or inclination, doing something like this and learning a lesson.
But someone who does this for a living, who drives 3" drywall screws through the floor of a vehicle, over the engine/gas tank compartment is either a moron or an Ahole. There's no way to sugar coat or justify it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like I said, even if you forget they used drywall screws, the point was they only needed maybe 1" of screw but they chose to use 3". The Ram dealer gave me a quote to hand the audio shop when I go tomorrow. $1190 parts and labor.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts