Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not gonna make one. Since someone will inevitably comment on it, I'll say right now I'm (1) lazy, (2) done with making stuff, (3) don't sew, (4) running out of time. Case closed lol.

Also rather not order a Pleasure Way screen for $800.

Here's an example of what I'm considering:

- Ease of install and use are important.
- I don't know what a no seeum is, and have never encountered one of these mythical pests, but if they do in fact exist somewhere in the continental US, we'll want to keep them out. So the magzo and other cheap mosquito screens are out.
- I think I would prefer magnet closure for ease of getting in and out, but my wife is concerned our cat could push out. Is this a reasonable concern? He doesn't typically try to escape our house, but who knows what his life will be like in the van.
- I have a stove overlapping the opening. Is center open still best? Think center opening would allow reaching the slider when the screen is deployed.

Lead time for the one linked above is 6-8 weeks. We leave in 6 weeks, but could get it shipped to AZ if there are no good faster options.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
6,342 Posts
Looks like a very good deal. Cat concern is valid—only you know your cat. It could also climb the screen. Never heard of a cat doing either.

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a very good deal. Cat concern is valid—only you know your cat. It could also climb the screen. Never heard of a cat doing either.
From a bit of searching around, that's the only one I could find. But there could be lesser known options floating around by forum word of mouth. We have a screen door at home we leave unlatched and the cat doesn't push it open. But I know he is capable of scooting a door open if he knows he wants to go through. It just seems to me a zipper would be very annoying and make me feel trapped inside. Which is fine if there are biting bugs out, but my wife sometimes tries to keep bugs out even if they don't bite for whatever reason.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I bought a cheap-o from Amazon two years ago and it's still working, with minimal tearing.

If you need a screen in a couple of days (Prime Shipping) and don't mind a bit of half-assing, this works fine. It is supplied with sticky velcro. I used a combination of the velcro and tucking the screen into my conversion's walls to make it fit. If I didn't have the conversion walls it probably would work better using only velcro. I cut the bottom off to make it fit. It keeps the bugs out pretty well. I also installed the same screen in the back, again using velcro.

One nice "feature" is that you can keep the screen open by just letting the magnets adhere the screen to the open slider door and the front passenger door.

In theory I could take this out over the winter. In practice, it's 35 bucks and if I ruin it, I can buy another without crying. Might be worth a try as a cheap way to see how your cat reacts.

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a cheap-o from Amazon two years ago and it's still working, with minimal tearing.

If you need a screen in a couple of days (Prime Shipping) and don't mind a bit of half-assing, this works fine. It is supplied with sticky velcro. I used a combination of the velcro and tucking the screen into my conversion's walls to make it fit. If I didn't have the conversion walls it probably would work better using only velcro. I cut the bottom off to make it fit. It keeps the bugs out pretty well. I also installed the same screen in the back, again using velcro.

One nice "feature" is that you can keep the screen open by just letting the magnets adhere the screen to the open slider door and the front passenger door.

In theory I could take this out over the winter. In practice, it's 35 bucks and if I ruin it, I can buy another without crying. Might be worth a try as a cheap way to see how your cat reacts.
I did say Magzo is out. Does it block the mythical no-seeums?

But... it is really cheap. I don't mind cheap, but I absolutely mind half-assing. Back in the day, when I was young and naïve, I did sometimes buy budget items, and 99% of the time they were replaced within a couple years. So I naturally see this product, consider how cheap it is, assume it will feel "hack", look "hack", and not be good quality. I'd rather spend $300 on one item than $30 on the same item twice.

But if it installs cleanly, blocks all bugs, stays put, is durable, and looks like a quality item that belongs, I wouldn't mind only paying $30.

Just saying I'm highly doubtful I'd be pleased... I tend to avoid any product that seems like it's built to be a budget option since I've rarely bought a budget item I was happy with. That said I also never buy the most expensive and best option either.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did say Magzo is out. Does it block the mythical no-seeums?
Oops, sorry, missed that Magzo was out. I have never knowingly experienced a no-seeum so I can't give you an answer on that. The screen size is the same as screens on every dwelling or tent I've ever inhabited. I wonder if spraying the screen with pyrethrin would kill no-seeums as they tried to crawl through?

I generally agree with the rest of your statement and have been burned a couple of times by going cheap. I went cheap in this case because I wanted fast. "Fast, cheap and good - pick any two" is a good motto to live by, but in this case I got "fast, cheap and good enough for me".

If you do get the Etsy screen, please report back because it looks pretty nice.

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess what I'm saying is when I see posts about how someone bought a random cheap item and just screwed it willy-nilly into a cabinet or wall somewhere and how wonderful it functions for only a few pence and a bit of duct tape, I cry a little inside.
Oops, sorry, missed that Magzo was out. I have never knowingly experienced a no-seeum so I can't give you an answer on that. The screen size is the same as screens on every dwelling or tent I've ever inhabited. I wonder if spraying the screen with pyrethrin would kill no-seeums as they tried to crawl through?

I generally agree with the rest of your statement and have been burned a couple of times by going cheap. I went cheap in this case because I wanted fast. "Fast, cheap and good - pick any two" is a good motto to live by, but in this case I got "fast, cheap and good enough for me".

If you do get the Etsy screen, please report back because it looks pretty nice.
I'm really leaning toward that now. I can't find any other mid-range options except one at vanupgrades with less info.

The guy on Etsy (also has a website at thebugwall.com) responded that he could get it to me in 5 weeks, which leaves me a week to get it installed. Looks like the bottom just hangs at the floor, and the sides are jammed into the weather-stripping with optional metal clips in case the weather-stripping isn't tight enough. He has a very thorough 34 minute install video of him doing both the side and rear in real time with minimal cuts, discussing any differences between the vans as he gets to it (apparently the rear door latches on the Promaster are close to the weather-stripping making it a bit difficult there, and the plastic trim at the B pillar makes that area difficult).

There's also a solid, waterproof cover option for the rear doors for fixed bed platform builds, where you can open the bottom and top independently to access the garage while it's raining, or to shower and keep your van dry, etc. That's a couple hundred extra... one of those things that I feel like I don't need, but if I do I'll be happy I got it lol.

Still, these final touches of stuff I can't make myself reasonably are adding up - a bunch of window covers, and awning, and bugscreens. "only" a few hundred each but adds up over 6 windows, 2 doors, and one awning.

Every house I've lived in has "normal" screens - a metal grid with easily visible squares. Every tent I've been in is a very fine mesh too small to see the holes.

The only problem I see with this screen is that it rolls up and clips, leaving the doorway shorter. It's nice to have a doorway where I don't need to duck. Plus the rolled up screen may block my speakers I just installed when they aim outside.

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tension across the bottom would keep the cat in if it's zipper. The magnets need a bit more slack to function, and I feel like a cat could stick his head down the gap and push the bottom magnet open.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
6,342 Posts
The reason for the cheap one would be to determine your cat's reaction so that you can make the best decision when you spend the real money.

We have experienced noseeums once. That was enough to compel me to make a new screen and have two of my window screens replaced.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think you need to go with the zipper. I know my cats would push right through the magnet. Just add it to the list of sacrifices you make for the cat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On the one hand if there are bugs a zipper is fine cuz we won't wanna be outside. If there are no bugs we could leave the whole thing open if not for the cat. So really it seems the only reason to have magnets would be to keep an animal in. But face first, out the bottom, easy peasy.
I should probably suck it up and get an annoying zipper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts