Premium Member
7,175 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I should have explained. Buy a magnetic "Magic Screen" from Amazon for about $30. Either buy one that is too wide and trim it down, or buy a narrower one and add fabric to the sides. Adjust the length. Attach to the van with Velcro. At the slider, put it on the inside of the door seal so you can operate the door with it in place. If you get a wider one, you even get to choose where the opening goes--it doesn't have to be centered. I went so far as to replace the screen material with no-seeum screen, so actually, the only thing I used from the purchased screen was the magnetic opening. That I found impossible to duplicate on a regular sewing machine.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
After seeing what Poof did with the snap in place poncho liner divisor between coach-cab and along the sliding door I've given her the challenge of a screen door.
Our angle of attack will be much like our 'clothes rack' in the back which is a piece of paracord strung very tightly from left to right.
The plan is a paracord running left to right low to the floor and one running left to right at the top of the door (sliding door that is).
Screen material at the bottom and top to have small rings that slide on the paracord tracks.
On the bottom a piece of material 1-2 inches long on the outside hanging down over the rings to cover the small gap.
We're shooting for the bottom paracord to be 1/4 inch off the floor so the gap will be small.
On the top of the screen material another scree but facing in and stiffer to cover that gap.
Looking out from the van snaps (same we used for the poncho liners) holding screen in place on the right.
On the left strong magnets sewn/glued in the scrim running down the screen door.

Also the entire screen door sprayed several times with permethrin made for gear to create/inforce a no-fly zone for little critters but heavily applied
to the pieces that cover the ring gap.

A grab handle to pull left.

All theory for now :)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
John noted and already discussed with the 'boss'.
I even put out the idea of a recessed channel in the floor for the cord carriage.
Whichever way it turns out all will be good, the beauty of DIY campervaning/we can change up, pull out, put in, as we see fit.
On the toe-catch head-plant, I'd only do that once :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already have lithium’s, lol.
I’m not able to make one, don’t sew, don’t really know anybody who does anymore.
Will need to try to find something pre-made.
I like the one in the above posted link, but I would prefer magnetic closure instead of a zipper.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The $99 one from van upgrades converts their zipper door to magnetic, but you have to buy the zipper door for $299 plus the $99 for the conversion kit. That is still the cheapest option yet,, just don’t like the idea of having to remove the door seals for installation, then using the seal to hold it in place.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you don't want to sew one to fit, get this. The 60x80 size is the perfect width to extend a few inches beyond the side door opening on each side. The screen has velcro already installed, and it comes with a roll of matching velcro to apply wherever you want to set it up. I found the self adhesive to be woefully inadequate to hold the weight of the screen when I tried to mount it to my sides upholstered with felt. The B pillar next to the passenger seat is plastic, and the stuff sticks great there. For the rest of the upholstered portions, I used small sheet metal screws every 12" to keep the velcro in place. I stays fine, even with my three big dogs busting in and out of it. I have the vertical excess just sitting on the floor, but that does impede the self closing most of the time. I'll get around to trimming to the proper height and that should fix it. The magnetic closure is pretty nifty.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M674HFL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Those sliding doors are pretty widely hated these days among RV owners. That why Pleasure Way and Winnebago are moving away from them. THink Advanced RV is as well.

The track gets dirty and the door sticks or even can come off track. Having seen the Pleasure Way one in person they are without question the highest quality, best operating screen ive seen. The price is absurd, but they are very nice.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I’m with MsNomer.... I customized a magnetic screen and velcroed it inside the weather stripping on my slider... works like a charm.

Last time I had used a sewing machine was 8th grade home-economics class about 36 yrs earlier... youtube, online manuals etc make simple straight line sewing a breeze. I was so happy with my slider screen that I just cut/sewed another magnetic screen for my rear doors last weekend. Took me about 2 hrs and that includes prepping the bobbin and threading the machine.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts