Ram Promaster Forum banner

Scopema Swivel seat fiasco

31K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  wStar 
#1 ·
Hey all, I wanted to share my quick story with you about the scopema install on my 2018 promaster 2500. I've read previous threads about scopema, but this one contains new information. Hopefully it may shed some light on scopema.

Let me start off by acknowledging that there are many more affordable options for swivel seats in a promaster other than Scopema. I'm 6'4, and have previously installed a swivel in the passenger seat of my old Vanagon, and it left me almost unable to ride passenger. I'm just too tall. For me, the advertised 7/8" raise on the scopema swivel opposed to 1 1/2" made the extra cost worth while given my height.

I contacted the dealer and they confirmed how much it would raise the seat (7/8"), so I ordered passenger and driver swivels. Upon arrival I noticed they had what looked like optional spacing bars which add extra height to the seat, and directions in French (I think, cant quite remember). The directions are useless- but mechanically its very easy to figure out.

Unfortunately, putting in the swivels without the extra spacer leaves the seats unable to rotate because the swivel hardware bumps into the metal base of the seat belt buckle. UGH. So I had to use the "optional" metal spacing bars, and they work just fine. Only they raise the seat around 1 1/2". Super bummer for me as I payed basically double the money for a short lift on the seat. The dealer said he only installs on Sprinters, and wasn't aware of that issue until I brought it up.

The extra height on the driver side really impedes my vision, and makes me hunch down slightly to see the road, so I took it out. It's not going to work for me. I can send it back (and pay shipping twice unless the dealer agrees to subsidize return shipping). Alternatively, if someone on the forum wants a brand new driver side swivel at cheap shipping prices from central coast California, feel free to PM me.

TLDR: Scopema swivel seats raise the seat 1 1/2" on a 2018 promaster, NOT the advertised 7/8" of an inch. I have an extra driver side swivel if you want to PM me.

See less See more
#6 ·
I lowered mine 2 inches and had to lower the parking brake also. Was pretty easy to do, cut it easily with a sawzall. Just cut the diagonal bar straight up and down and did not weld it. Took about 2 hours and $250 for both. No special jigs, just marked 2 inches on the 4 corners, cut it, welded it, painted it. Lowered brake mount later at my house. Tool kit still fits with the top of the box off. Reattached plastic side skirts after cutting 2 inches off with a table saw.

#7 ·
So I just received some Scopema swivels for my Promaster, and encountered the same issue with the spacers.

HOWEVER, it is possible to install without the spacers with minor modification:
1 - You must remove the metal hook below the seat belt buckle receiver on the seat. Cut/Grind it off.
2 - You must use a washer on each bolt between the top of the scopema mount and the bottom of the stock seat slide. The washer should be about as thick as the small tab that protrudes from the bottom of each slide between the 2 rear bolt holes.
3 - You must modify the plastic cover that goes around the seat belt receiver assembly. Basically cut the entire bottom flat part off.

Should be good after this.

#8 ·
So I just received some Scopema swivels for my Promaster, and encountered the same issue with the spacers.

HOWEVER, it is possible to install without the spacers with minor modification:
1 - You must remove the metal hook below the seat belt buckle receiver on the seat. Cut/Grind it off.
2 - You must use a washer on each bolt between the top of the scopema mount and the bottom of the stock seat slide. The washer should be about as thick as the small tab that protrudes from the bottom of each slide between the 2 rear bolt holes.
3 - You must modify the plastic cover that goes around the seat belt receiver assembly. Basically cut the entire bottom flat part off.

Should be good after this.

View attachment 59157

View attachment 59158
So are you around 1 inch rise with the washers installed ?

#9 · (Edited)
Agreed that the advertised 7/8" boost isn't realistic for a Promaster installation unless you're getting aggressive with power tools (clean work, the_alpine!).

My height increase came out to just over an inch and a quarter for both seats (measured at 1.28" for the passenger side and 1.26" for the driver side). I'm 6' and the boost is noticeable -- but not inordinately so -- for both my clearance below the headliner and my knees below the steering wheel. I DO have to very slightly unweight the seats in order to swivel cleanly, otherwise the bottom of the seatbelt bracket will make some contact with the mount.

Gotta clean up the wiring a bit, but here's the finished product.

#17 ·
I just finished installing to scopema on the passenger side as well as installing the OEM FASP Promaster swivel on the driver side. If it makes y’all feel better you have to do Alpine’s mod on the seatbelt metal hook as on the FASP OEM swivel as well. You don’t have to do the washer trick but you do have some serious cutting and grinding to do.

#18 ·
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted
Has anyone else had trouble getting it swivel before installing? I can’t seem to get it to swivel which makes it more difficult(maybe impossible to install).

#19 ·
I did have a little trouble getting it to swivel before installing, I held it vertical, placed the 'fixed' base on the edge of my wood picnic table letting the 'swivel' plate overhang the edge, held the lever, then hit the swivel plate with a rubber mallet to get it to move.

#21 ·
Thanks for this explanation. I have some swivels on the way and will likely try this.

When I first found this mod, I also found a link to someone else that tried it. They posted photos to include the cutting of the plastic. Does anyone else know where to find that post? Always nice to read multiple versions of the same mod.

Thanks

#22 ·
Installed Scopema swivels, 1" increase in height. Here are some photos, used a 4" cut off wheel on my grinder, pretty easy. Then I used hack saw to cut the first plastic trim, discovered that using some tin snips was the trick to cut the second one, then used a file to clean it up.

Also found a good video of someone showing this mod.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

Pliers Hand tool Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.