Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved notice of a recall on my 2015 Ram City Passenger Wagen for the cooling fan; V54, I believe it was. Scheduled the service 2½ hrs away because the local Chrysler dealership isn't doing recalls, they said. Not the scary part. I found a dealership in Chehalis; I-5 Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/etc/ad nauseum; and booked the service. The recall was to inspect to see if the cooling fan had bearings (the right one) or bushings (the wrong one). I was glad it wasn't in Pugetopolis, as they insisted it get there by 8am, when they open, and I won't being seeing much of rush hours traffic by the time I get to Interstate 5. But It does mean I have to get going by 5am, and it ain't fishing. It was a frosty cold morning, 29° in Chehalis. After checking in and being told they'll have it done this afternoon, I went across the freeway (on a bridge, silly) by shank's mare and had breakfast and walked thru Walmart while they were still stocking shelves. About an hour later, they called to ask me to come back, they had something to show me... Ominous, I know. They told me they had found a hole in the transmission case right below the battery, and asked if I had the battery replaced. I did, one of the first things I did to repair the minor problems I found after buying it. They said the hole was right under the battery tray and acid might have dripped down onto the case and it was leaving fluid all over their shop. This is when I discovered that there isn't a way to check transmission levels, it's a sensor only. No lites had showed up in the preceeding months or on the 2½ hr jaunt at highway speeds getting there. The removal of stuff on the front of the engine allowed them to see the hole on a plastic cover and you could look down the front into the transmission. That's the scary part... Here I am; stuck in Chehalisburg with a busted tranny and noone to call for a ride. This is the only vehicle I own, so it would seriously cramp my style. Well, one problem at a time, and getting back home seemed to be the biggest one. I told to finish the fan recall, fill the thing full of ATF, and I'll hope for the best. They made sure that I signed off on the hole problem on the service orders before they let me go. I got home, taking the blue highways and keeping my speed down, every time I stopped (I'm old... pee breaks are manditory), I looked for signs of tranny fluid. and now the local repair shop is putting on a new cover, which the service manual says is a 4 hour job.

I wanted to tell this story, and I'll add to it if new info shows up, so's y'all can look to see if you got one, too. Look under the battery on the right side, and there's a black plastic cover with a wiring harness going into it. I'm really not sure that this cover s actually holding fluid (they didn't show me the spills, and may have been an attempt at gouging). It's gonna cost ~$500, but it's better than blowing a tranny (EWWwww!) I heard that it's a sealed unit with the engine. Buyer Beware! That's my halloween tale for this year.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You are not the first to have that happen, similar accounts have been reported. Since when are batteries leaking acid anyway ...that shouldn't be happening! Also your local dealer says they don't do recalls!!!? WTF!!!? I would contact FCA about that too!

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,065 Posts
No dog in this fight, but the Chrysler 200 used the same transmission and youtube has some videos for checking the fluid level, it may apply to the PMC.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are not the first to have that happen, similar accounts have been reported. Since when are batteries leaking acid anyway ...that shouldn't be happening! Also your local dealer says they don't do recalls!!!? WTF!!!? I would contact FCA about that too!
The local garageman said, "they have those in stock, so it must happen often enuf".

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recieved notice of a recall on my 2015 Ram City Passenger Wagen for the cooling fan; V54, I believe it was. Scheduled the service 2½ hrs away because the local Chrysler dealership isn't doing recalls, they said. [redacted]

and now the local repair shop is putting on a new cover, which the service manual says is a 4 hour job.

I wanted to tell this story, and I'll add to it if new info shows up, so's y'all can look to see if you got one, too. Look under the battery on the right side, and there's a black plastic cover with a wiring harness going into it. I'm really not sure that this cover s actually holding fluid (they didn't show me the spills, and may have been an attempt at gouging). It's gonna cost ~$500, but it's better than blowing a tranny (EWWwww!) I heard that it's a sealed unit with the engine. Buyer Beware! That's my halloween tale for this year.
I found out the Transmission Fluid is a specail order item. Ordered yesterday, still ain't here. 'Chrysler 9-speed ATF', they call it, 'gouge juice', for short.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found out the Transmission Fluid is a specail order item. Ordered yesterday, still ain't here. 'Chrysler 9-speed ATF', they call it, 'gouge juice', for short.
It cost $29.75 a quart! The six it took to drain and fill it again added $ 178.50 to the bill.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recieved notice of a recall on my 2015 Ram City Passenger Wagen They told me they had found a hole in the transmission case right below the battery, They said the hole was right under the battery tray and acid might have dripped down onto the case and it was leaving fluid all over their shop. ...[redacted] them to see the hole on a plastic cover and you could look down the front into the transmission. That's the scary part... They made sure that I signed off on the hole problem on the service orders before they let me go.

I wanted to tell this story, and I'll add to it if new info shows up, so's y'all can look to see if you got one, too. Look under the battery on the right side, and there's a black plastic cover with a wiring harness going into it.
Well, It's Done; BUT the old cover had about 4 inches of the side melted, and the tranny had maybe just a coupla quarts in it, mixed with water. The melted plastic was a slime on the edge of the cover and my garageman said it'll be lucky if the slime didn't enter the tranny itself... the cover was for the valve body, but being low on juice by 4 quarts (the butts in Chehalis didn't fill it up, like I asked) it got water mixed in. Imma gonna see if the tranny's will hold up after this. It was plenty strong before they discovered the problem.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I wanted to tell this story, and I'll add to it if new info shows up, so's y'all can look to see if you got one, too. Look under the battery on the right side, and there's a black plastic cover with a wiring harness going into it. I'm really not sure that this cover is actually holding fluid (they didn't show me the spills, and may have been an attempt at gouging) [EDIT: yes, it holds fluid. It covers the valve body, and has fluid in it]

There are other threads about this. It's a common problem...the supply chain carries this cover in stock... that common. My local shop said the drain line from the battery tray stops right over this carbon-fiber valve cover on the right-hand (looking from the front), carbon-fiber is good for mechanical protection, but not so much for battery acid. It was a set-up! The drain line was made to drip on this cover, and if it was a little longer, it wouldn't drip on the cover. I have placed a problem report with the NTSB's recall site. But ain't gonna help you 'cause it's dripping on your tranny right now. Imma gonna find out what this drain line is made of and buy a longer version to stop this problem where it starts.

Also, the level sensor never showed up while I was driving around with a hole in the transmission. That's also an issue. The mechanic said the water might have fooled the sensor into not reporting... scary. There is no dipstick for checking levels in the tranny, another issue. The shop says the fill hole is the only way to check it manually. Online, there is several videos on making a tool to dip the hole, but since it's behind the engine, against the fire wall, and above the suspension; it's nigh on to impossible for your senor citizen (ME!) to get to it. It's a simple allen-head bolt back there, but the mechanic suggested you take the left front wheel off, to make it easier. A set-up, I tells ya!

I hope this helps ya. Oh! and the transmission fluid is from Chrysler only, and coasts $30/ Quart!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts