Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to sit in it, the cockpit is leap years ahead of the promaster and better than sprinter also. It was a mid roof and I'm 6'2" and could not stand in it but was close. It was a diesel and the guy claimed he's getting 24 mpg. He was a ford trainer , also picked his brain about the diesel for f150 and no plans yet.

If I was buying today I would have to say I'm leaning towards ford due to the comfortable cockpit. With that being said I didn't get to drive it. I'm not bashing promaster I like it a lot just can't get comfortable in driver cockpit.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You must be comfortable in your van! I'm only 5'8" and the Promaster fits me perfectly. I considered waiting for the Transit to come out but my last Ford had to have 4 transmissions in the 9 years that I owned it. At $4000 a piece I literally bought that thing twice. Ford would have to seriously impress me to give them another chance.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm driving a 2004 Sprinter right now and the Promaster cab seems nice in comparison. Transit is not in consideration as they don't make the short wheelbase version for the US market yet.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have always been loyal to ford vans. I have owned seven different E-series vans in the last twenty years ranging from quarter million mile retired fleet trucks that I held together with pop rivets and bubble gum to my last three that have been year old rental program vehicles that I keep about two years and trade up again. I have also had two E-Series vans that were issued to me as company trucks for plumbing shops I have worked for. I had a new '05 Sprinter as my last company truck and my current company truck is a '10 Sprinter with 75,000 miles on it. I have been waiting for a couple years for the transit to come out, as I've been hoping to get a vehicle for personal use (occasional plumbing, camping, and daily driver) that I can walk in the back of, like my Sprinter but without the Mercedes price tag and service nightmares. I was very disappointed that the new Transit with a medium roof wouldn't allow me to stand up in the cargo area (I'm 6' 3"). If you go to the tall roof it exceeds my budget. Also my wife's 2012 Ford Flex wagon has a more rugged, tough truck like interior than the new Transit. If I wanted to sit in something that looks like a Ford Focus I would just buy one (they're a lot cheaper). I also need something that will allow me to keep 10 foot lengths of pipe inside on a rack of some sort, as the tall roof pretty much eliminates the usefulness of a roof mounted rack. I test drove a few different Promasters and for several months couldn't wrap my head around buying a large front wheel drive cargo van powered with the running gear out of the Dodge Caravan. I kept coming back to it because it seemed to be the most affordable cargo van that will do what I want it to. The other thing I noticed is that the loudest opposition to the Promaster is from guys that don't own one. I have yet to hear of someone that wishes they hadn't bought theirs. I only put on about 5000 miles per year and rarely go anywhere more than 60 miles away with my van. So I don't think the unusual seating position will be a problem for me. On May 16th I ordered a 2500 159" charcoal gray Promaster with most of the options (minus navigation, parking sensors, diesel, interior convenience and smokers groups, and partition). The dealer gave me about $2750 discount off of MSRP and $17,000 for my 2011 E-350 wagon in trade. I won't miss 10.5 MPG in the city with the old Ford. Now I just can't wait for the Promaster to get here so I can start building it out.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I still driving my Ford E350 cube van with a 16' box. Transmission went 3 years ago
and cost $3800 for a rebuilt one.
Have the 159 promaster in my garage and it is small compared to my cube.
But the thing that I still am in awe is how big the cargo is on this thing.
Small on the out side and big in the inside.
Now I just have to clean up my cube and get rid of it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I wasn't that impressed with the transit interior, except the cup holder location. I didn't think it was any nicer than my PM, just different. The transit is very narrow looking to me, even more than a sprinter. I also saw one doing dealer training.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm signed up this coming June 11th for Ford's first ride & drive event they are having with the Transit in Kansas City. Says it'll be 2.5 hrs of interaction with the vehicles and engineers.
I will try to remember to do a thread here on the experience and the comparison to the Sprinter we own, which if the weather is nice, I'm going to take over there for direct back to back comparison

·
Super Moderator
9,061 Posts
I just fixed my cup holder. Popped it off, it lifts right up because it's held on with a few spring clips, then I took the 10 Torx screws out that hold the whole thing together, removed the rubber insert and put it all back together. Now I have 3 full size cup holders without any cutting. I cut out some carpet circles to fit on the bottom of the holders just to provide some cushion and help soak up any spilled coffee!

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Am I correct that PM is the only full size van offering that has three across seating available? Honestly this is one of the biggest selling points going for our business to buy one along with the cargo height/room in the low top 136" WB.

·
Registered
35 Posts
FYI - The three across seating isn't great, the middle person does not have much leg room because of the lower middle cup holder location.

·
Registered
32 Posts
FYI - The three across seating isn't great, the middle person does not have much leg room because of the lower middle cup holder location.
Believe me plans are already in place to remove and modify that! But am I correct that they are still the only full size van with 3 across capability?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I believe PM is the only one in the U.S. with a three person front seat. Some of the Benz / VW vans and Ducato and its other variants, have it available in Europe. I ordered it on my PM also. I'm going from an E-350 club wagon to a cargo van. For the last ten years I needed the club wagon for hauling four kids, but it seems eventually they grow up and riding around with dad isn't cool anymore. I thought I should have seats for two of the four incase they get a crazy whim to go somewhere with me. The wife won't ride in it. She hates vans. They remind her that she married a plumber.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts