Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any service work done in the Vancouver, Wa or Portland, OR area that you are satisfied with? My local dealer seems to be overbooked and could care less about getting it right...

I am currently having a ignition/key issue. When the steering wheel locks, it is nearly impossible to get the key in and turn it over.

I've tried both key fobs, and a tiny bit of lube already...

Help?

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,658 Posts
Anyone have any service work done in the Vancouver, Wa or Portland, OR area that you are satisfied with? My local dealer seems to be overbooked and could care less about getting it right...

I am currently having a ignition/key issue. When the steering wheel locks, it is nearly impossible to get the key in and turn it over.

Help?
When mine locks the steering wheel, it sometimes makes it hard to turn the key. Usually a jiggle of the wheel to the left or right eases up the lock and it turns easily. It's not the key slot, it the tightness of the wheel lock mechanism which makes the key hard to turn.

If you've already tried that, disregard!:D

Ed

·
Super Moderator
10,530 Posts
I just jiggle the wheel a bit and it works. I've had lots of vehicles with this very problem and jiggling always works for me.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I just jiggle the wheel a bit and it works. I've had lots of vehicles with this very problem and jiggling always works for me.

+1
It's a pretty natural movement, after several vehicles doing it.

·
Super Moderator
10,530 Posts
For what it's worth, my Sprinter did the exact same thing.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I was told the key patent designs to disengage steering lock with no/low effort were bound to long-term licensing agreements with a few US manufactures - which made every other OEM use some variant of Japanese steering lock equivalents, so were jiggling the steering wheel to unbind the ignition key cylinder to avoid paying a dime royalty fee.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My chevy 3500 was the same way, until now I never gave it a thought because it was second nature to just tug on the wheel with my left hand when I turned the key with my right. Amazing the things that we get used to and never even think about.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I, as well have had this same issue on many automobiles... This one seems to be far worse. It literally takes minutes to turn the key over. Totally unacceptable when you are A.D.D. and O.C.D. The first part of my quote I was looking for:

Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts

Help?
Stay away from Hannah Dodge, total disaster there. My 15 118 diesel has been there 13-14 weeks and still unrepaired(although at least now I get a loaner when needed) Regional FCA guy has made references to use Dick's Country Dodge in Hillsboro, very high CSI ratings in the future when my replacement arrives.

Reactions: Ddog574

·
Registered
96 Posts
The hard key turn is caused by the anti-theft feature. It locks the steering wheel when the ignition is off. If the tries are the least bit turned after engaging, it binds the ignition. Normal in most vehicles. Sometimes it takes a great deal of force to free the ignition. Mine does it, sometimes, as did all the loaners I had when my PM was on sabbatical with the Dealer.

·
Registered
604 Posts

Help?
It definitely sounds like you have an issue for the dealer to look at.

We've all commented on the "normal glitch" with turning the key, but if you're having problems "getting the key in", as you described, it's something else. Sounds like they need to replace something.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts