Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife bought me this for Christmas to use in the van with the new pop up clipboard. The idea would be to use the Galaxy Tablet as a stand alone GPS since it has the 8" screen. Before I open it up, I was looking to see if anyone here has better experience with these tablets. We have all apple products in the house. I want to use this tablet as a GPS but not sure if it will work that way? Does it need to have GPS built into it? I couldn't really find any info online whether this has it built in or if its really needed.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,775 Posts
I can’t help with that one but I bought a Asus Google Nexus 7 16GB Tablet (Gen 2) refurbished for $50 to do the same. It has a GPS chipset so I pair it with my iPhone (we are Apple too) and use Google Maps and Waze. It works fine for that and if the Galaxy Tab will too if it has a built in GPS chipset. It will still need internet access for the maps though and live traffic.

·
Registered
311 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have the 10 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab A tablet. It has GPS. You can download segments of Google Maps ahead of time when connected for offline use when internet is not available. Without internet you won't get live traffic updates but you can enter addresses and location names and it will route you with tracking as you drive giving turn by turn directions both visually and audibly. The offline google map segments will be available for 30 days and can be renewed whenever you are online. The offline maps are only for auto routing, the bicycling or walking route functions do not work offline. I have used my Galaxy tablet offline in Canada and Europe without internet connections.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Picked up this 7" Garmin the other day at Best Buy for $70 off: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/garmin-drivesmart-65-traffic-6-95-gps-with-built-in-bluetooth-black/6319480.p?skuId=6319480&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=158&ref=212&loc=DWA&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-KbH667T5gIVycDACh0bugmdEAQYAiABEgJkZfD_BwE

Unlike my older 5" it doesn't have a built in traffic receiver so needs to be paired with a phone for that. Haven't driven much since installing it and wonder how much data that uses.
H1,

I bought that unit this summer for the PM... it's great! It does have traffic built in because the power adapter has an antenna for non-internet-connected traffic. For better traffic, you can link to your phone, but it does have traffic while not linked.

They use the internet link for lots of features so probably best to use with a phone that has unlimited data.

(y)

Mesa,

It has GPS but unless it also has cellular (some do) it will need to be linked to an internet source for maps (except for limited offline maps as TG said)... linked to smartphone or hotspot works best for your type of use.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
We got cheap Asus 7" tablets for free when we got new phones 2-3 yrs ago. They must've had cell feature because they were added to the wireless plan.
We don't use them so we removed them from the plan. Hopefully they're not dinosaurs come this summer. Hoping to add one back to the plan for road trips.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys. I went to Best Buy and returned the Samsung for the Garmin. I paid $216 with tax. It was on sale for $199. Much more than the tablet, but I'm sure much more useful. It is updating itself now in the kitchen. I just wanted a large display. The tom-tom unit in the van is useless. Sad to say for what it is. Seems FCA really cut alot of corners compared to the European versioned van.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
With your new pop up clipboard, mounting in that area might not be the best use of the pop up feature. On my non-pop up clipboard, the GPS is permanently mounted with easy access to a spot above the radio for a DC outlet to plug the Garmin cigarette lighter adapter plug for power.

(older Garmin in this pic)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought of that too. I haven't installed the pop up clipboard. Either way, I could install it and keep the Garmin clipped in or put a suction disc on the clip board and remove the Garmin when using said clip board for papers. Or..... I could sell the pop up and leave well enough alone I guess. I like your installation. I would do the same with the GPS hardwired coming through a small hole as I did on my Sprinter years ago.

·
Premium Member
7,775 Posts
There are great holders that seem made for the PM dash. I bolted mine through the factory clipboard after I freed it and ran power up from below.
IMG_0937.JPG IMG_0940.JPG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts