Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a salvage promaster at auction. It just has lite body damage on the side third door. Frame is not touched and it runs and drives fine. Michigan requires me to have a body shop (I don't know how to fix body work) fix it like new. I didn't know this when I bought it. I thought the inspection was to make sure it was safe to drive.

It is legal to register the van in another state to avoid this? I don't mind having the rebuilt title or salvage title. I don't want to sell it. I will make a nice camper van out of it. But I don't want to spend the money to repair cosmetic damage.

What do you suggest?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
If the door is damage just replace it.

I'm sure registering a vehicle is another state is not legal, otherwise everyone in Michigan would be register in "no inspection Indiana"

·
Registered
3,352 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the door is damage just replace it.

I'm sure registering a vehicle is another state is not legal, otherwise everyone in Michigan would be register in "no inspection Indiana"
Well, its more than the door. Its the rocker panel behind the door and to the panel to the rear. Your saying Indiana doesn't do salvage inspections? Are you confusing that with standard road inspections for emissions and road worthiness? Michigan doesn't do either. Its just to get a salvaged vehicle to rebuilt status.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Are you confusing that with standard road inspections for emissions and road worthiness? Michigan doesn't do either. Its just to get a salvaged vehicle to rebuilt status.
Your right, I looked a the BMV info packets and state code, a cop certifies the repairs and major parts used. But the form seems intentional vague and allows the inspector lots of leeway.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
That's all it takes to total a Promaster?
New door, big hammer to knock those dents out, some bondo and white paint, call it done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yah, surprisingly. I may now try it. I have a hi-lo I can try to pull them out too. I already have the new door which was $350.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
130 Posts
Quite a few of us have a "domicile" address and never step foot or tire into the state where our vehicles are titled and plated. Check out southern and western state requirements.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Domicle address indeed, can save you a lot of bucks too. Tabs for our van, that just so happens to be parked most nights in So Cal. Would be around $350/Yr. Plus emissions testing on top of that.
However, we source plates & tabs from a quiet little county in a cold northern state. $65 a year, no emissions test. No safety inspections either.
Heck the goverment has no problem getting funky with finances, why not us!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Is the door track and floor straight? Does the door operate?

Curiosity:
What year?
How many miles?
What do you get it for?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Definitely a grey space. You are technically supposed to have vehicles registered within a state of "permanent residence" within 90 days of establishing "permanent residence" in most or all states. Insurance is technically supposed to be through the state most driven. As I see it, very few things are permanent and technicalities are subjective. Different states even have different definitions. Harbor states, one that will register salvage/flood from other states are getting more rare though. I don't have experience, but have the understanding that the issue will arise again if you try to re-register in another state afterwards. ie, it will not 'clean' the title. However, I travel a lot and none of my residences have been permanent. I've had vehicles registered and insured in 4 different states. I do so if it's convenient and/or I ended up staying much longer than expected

·
Registered
169 Posts
In general you have to repair, but it can never be like new, unless you want the salvage title removed, then I can see that. They have access to all the body panels from the inside. Just have them pounded out to near new, replace the door and their should be no issue with inspection. I had to have a salvage sprinter inspected in MN, no big deal. Still had the salvage title, but what did I care, I was using it and driving it with no intent to sell. I think you should reread the requirements, as that might only be for removal of the salvage title.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In general you have to repair, but it can never be like new, unless you want the salvage title removed, then I can see that. They have access to all the body panels from the inside. Just have them pounded out to near new, replace the door and their should be no issue with inspection. I had to have a salvage sprinter inspected in MN, no big deal. Still had the salvage title, but what did I care, I was using it and driving it with no intent to sell. I think you should reread the requirements, as that might only be for removal of the salvage title.
Unfortunately I asked two different inspectors and thats what they say. To make it road legal, has to be repaired as new. This is just to get it on the road. It will always have salvage title. That is permanent. But I don't care, no plan to sell. This is why I am asking. I am thinking about moving to Texas to Wyoming anyways.

I don't care about safety inspections or emissions inspections. This van is like new except for miles. I don't want to have to repair it to get it on the road.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is the door track and floor straight? Does the door operate?

Curiosity:
What year?
How many miles?
What do you get it for?
2017, 140,000 miles, I got it for $7,500 and after auction fees, $8,800 about. I don't know if that is a good deal or not but I have been looking for the extended version for a long time and even the normal length it was hard to get a price like that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts