Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not added def fluid for 13k plus miles and is completely full. van was just at the dealer for a bunch of other unsolvable issues but since it's running properly and there's no check engine light the dealer says there is nothing wrong with the def system ...

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
529 Posts
Unless you have a magic Christmas elf in there cleaning the exhaust, the particulate filter will eventually fail. My guess is the computer may compensate for a little while, but you'll have less power and eventually reduced fuel mileage.

What happened with your trade in/buy back plans? After reading all the issues you've had with that diesel if they still refuse to take that lemon back I'd be standing out on the sidewalk with a huge sign until they did. :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Commercial vehicles are not covered under the lemon law...
My trailer lights and back up sensors still don't work and when they replaced the pcm in attempt to fix my engine issues my mpg stays at 4.7 and won't calculate

I thought the def got sprayed in after the dpf?
The van is still doing regens....

·
Registered
529 Posts
I may have used the wrong term on the filter. There's something similar to a catalytic converter that is downstream from where the DEF is introduced into the system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd tell FCA that you're planning to run it by your region's U.S. EPA office to inform them that FCA has a "defeat device" installed in your diesel's computer system that's allowing it bypass the def system and emit nitrogen oxide emissions in excess of the Federal Exhaust Emissions Standards for your model year. And that you plan to let the media know you've discovered their "defeat device" and have reported it to the EPA for further investigation. I'd bet FCA would be willing to buy it back from you then...just to keep the EPA from doing a deep dive into your diesel's CPU.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Commercial vehicles are not covered under the lemon law...
My trailer lights and back up sensors still don't work and when they replaced the pcm in attempt to fix my engine issues my mpg stays at 4.7 and won't calculate

I thought the def got sprayed in after the dpf?
The van is still doing regens....

I have disconnected the battery 3 times on my diesel in the last few weeks when working on seats swivels etc.
The first time when I connected it back up my mpg was reading 4.7 and was stuck there like yours.
A couple weeks later I disconnected the battery again and after reconnecting it the 4.7 was gone and it was calculating again.
A couple of days ago I disconnected it again to install my second swivel and upon reconnecting I am back stuck on 4.7 and is not calculating.
What the heck is going on here? I plan on disconnecting it again just to see if it fixes itself.
Anyone got any theories about this?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'd tell FCA that you're planning to run it by your region's U.S. EPA office to inform them that FCA has a "defeat device" installed in your diesel's computer system that's allowing it bypass the def system and emit nitrogen oxide emissions in excess of the Federal Exhaust Emissions Standards for your model year. And that you plan to let the media know you've discovered their "defeat device" and have reported it to the EPA for further investigation. I'd bet FCA would be willing to buy it back from you then...just to keep the EPA from doing a deep dive into your diesel's CPU.
FCA does not certify the diesel engine of Ram Promaster, it is FPT Industrial that does it.
The same is done by Cummins for diesel pickups.

That said better to call FCA to ask why DEF is always full and doesn't go down.

From what Rhodanish writes it looks like he has problems in wiring or some electronic board that is not well in place or has some problems and vibrations cause "false" contacts or reboot of some subsystems.
While testing at workshop, standing, could not be caught.

Usually that problems are caught using CAN bus analyzers/data recorders and similar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts