Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a Safety Recall Notice in the mail today. It has to do with the trailer hitch light system. It says brake lights on the trailer can fail. It says that Trailer Tow Packages that were installed at the dealer or an aftermarket facility has the problems. Mine is factory installed, I wonder if I am in the clear?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is what it says when I go to the Mopar Recall website:

THE TRAILER TOW LIGHTING CONTROL MODULE MAY MALFUNCTION DUE TO A SOFTWARE ERROR. THIS COULD RESULT IN INOPERATIVE TRAILER BRAKE LIGHTS. TOWING A TRAILER WITH INOPERATIVE BRAKE LIGHTS COULD CAUSE A CRASH.

Also there is another recall issue:

THE CAN-C BUS COMMUNICATION CONNECTOR MAY DEVELOP INTERNAL CONNECTOR PIN CORROSION DUE TO MOISTURE. CORRODED CAN-C BUS COMMUNICATION CONNECTOR PIN(S) COULD LEAD TO A LOSS OF ELECTRICAL CONTACT AND/OR A LOSS OF COMMUNICATION TO THE TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM). A LOSS OF COMMUNICATION TO THE TCM COULD CAUSE THE TRANSMISSION TO PERFORM AN UNREQUESTED SHIFT INTO NEUTRAL. THE VEHICLE OPERATOR WOULD BE UNABLE TO REENGAGE THE TRANSMISSION. THIS COULD CAUSE A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got that too, even though my van has no factory trailer hitch installed. My aftermarket set up is working fine though so I missed this bullet! I suppose they sent them to everyone just in case the dealer installed a factory setup on it for you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got that too, even though my van has no factory trailer hitch installed. My aftermarket set up is working fine though so I missed this bullet! I suppose they sent them to everyone just in case the dealer installed a factory setup on it for you.
Are you sure yours will not malfunction?
What about the S24 recall issue with the transmission?

·
Registered
55 Posts
recall

If you got the notice, you need the recall. Anyone receiving that notice has the module they are concern about on their truck.. I would suggest you get it done. FYI, parts as of 6/23/16 were not available. The replacement part is probably not in the supply line yet. The manufactures are required to notify when the recall is announced, even if they parts are not available yet. That was common place when I worked at a Buick store, so don't blame Chrysler, they are just following orders.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you got the notice, you need the recall. Anyone receiving that notice has the module they are concern about on their truck.. I would suggest you get it done. FYI, parts as of 6/23/16 were not available. The replacement part is probably not in the supply line yet. The manufactures are required to notify when the recall is announced, even if they parts are not available yet. That was common place when I worked at a Buick store, so don't blame Chrysler, they are just following orders.

It said parts were available on the recall website.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,498 Posts
Service tech told me part was ordered. I had him verify with the mechanic because we do not have the trailer tow package. Van was in for other reasons before I got the notice in the mail.

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Victory Pete,
Assuming you were talking about the ProMaster, the Can-C Bus Communication Connector, I could not find anything on the ProMaster but I did find a recall on the ProMaster City about the connector. Could it only be for the ProMaster City? I have a 2015 ProMaster.
Here's a link:
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/201...unintended-transmission-shift-to-neutral.html

I was referring to the City, as this is the section of the Forum for the City. I wonder how you find out when your van was manufactured, I just bought mine a month ago and wonder if I am in the clear or not.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oops, my bad. Been on a trip, came back, had to change password, and guess I clicked the wrong link. for ProMaster.
Anyway, the build date is on a sticker, driver's door edge. You will see it when opening, it's the edge with the latch on it. At
least that's where mine is.
Interesting that we both have the trailer lighting control problem. It's obvious they use the same parts in the different models.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,511 Posts
Service tech told me part was ordered. I had him verify with the mechanic because we do not have the trailer tow package. Van was in for other reasons before I got the notice in the mail.
I got the recall notice too. Figured it didn't matter to me because I have no tow wiring, no tow package...but maybe I should look into it at some point.

MsNomer and I both have full size Promasters, not PMC's.

ed

·
Super Moderator
440 Posts
My PM came out before a factory option for towing was available so I had the local upfitter install the tow stuff.

This is really the only thing that has given me fits. The turn signals don't work if the headlights are on. I have spent a small fortune trying to get this fixed and am now resigned to just drive during the day.

Could it be that there is some computer error?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts