Ram Promaster Forum banner
301 - 320 of 548 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,462 Posts
May I ask did you use 1/4” foam and where did you source it and the headliner from? Did you use 3M 90 spray on both to attach? Lastly did you find it difficult to apply? I’ve been following your thread as we had also been waiting several months for our 3500 to arrive. We’re from Alaska so it’s way to cold to work outside until “Spring”. Today we were lucky to work on our van as a friend of a friend is out of town for a few days and is allowing us to use their oversized garage. I’m glad that you’re ahead of us and posting even though we’ve done a lot of research, we don’t have any experience in this new endeavor of ours. Thank you again for documenting your build.
Uline has packing foam but it comes in large quantities. You might find other sellers with smaller rolls.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,462 Posts
Do you use this materials in large sheets to cover the entire wall panels to help eliminate “road noise / squeaks”?
I did not use it to help eliminate squeaks. I used it to cover metal that would be exposed after installing polyiso. I stuck it on before installing the polyiso so the polyiso overlaps it in most places.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
Jan 22;

Today I installed the cherry colour ledgers that hold the upper cabinets to the van walls. As I had cut a channel in the back of the one that goes above our heads when sleeping for electrical wires for an LED light, I was over zealous with the table saw & had to glue in a piece of wood as a bolt & rivnut are in that location. So some glue & a piece of wood that fits.

Brown Rectangle Wood Triangle Font

Then I installed the cherry ledgers after sealing the back sides of them (these 4 screws will be replaced with small black o
Wood Knife Utility knife Tints and shades Composite material

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive design

Shade Interior design Wood Floor Wall

Then. Looked at how I am going to build the uppers & think I have a loose design in mind. Still no 1” polyiso for the ceiling, so I decided to install the window in the slider;
Wood Flooring Floor Automotive design Font

Green Font Slope Rectangle Facade

Rectangle Shade Slope Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Window

I have had that window since about April or May 2021, but after. Installed it I think the “Tint” is not what I ordered.😳🤔. Another thing to sort out with the supplier,,,

So now I am at a crossroads in my build;

1) Cut up what little 1” polyiso I have and install in the ceiling along driver’s & passenger’s walls to finish gluing the trunk liner to & carry on with the upper cabinet fabrication

or

2) Try to find some XPS high load & put the floor in & carry on with the rest of the build floor up.

I am inclined to choose path #2. I am good ng to think about it & choose soon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
T
I used “sill gasket” for thin foam. Purchased it @ HD;

View attachment 82136

The glue & trunk liner I purchased from a local auto upholstery shop. Here is the glue I used;
View attachment 82137

My 1st build lives in “Whitehorse” now 2018 EXT. 🥶🥶

Installing 🤔 ,,, I had little screw ups, but I am working alone, so I founded it best to start by setting the liner 1st, then glue an edge, then glue the remainder & work from the center out if possible;

View attachment 82138

View attachment 82139

Spraying both the bulk of the liner & foil faced insulation with glue;
View attachment 82140

I did not have a photo of the trunk liner in place, but here is one of me gluing the wood panel to the polyiso foil face 2” Insulation;
View attachment 82141
Thank you. I checked and our HD does carry the 5 1/2” sill gasket. I also appreciate the extra application information and pictures. I was hoping to find a good video to watch before tackling this but I might just dive in when the time comes. Yesterday we got the kilmat up. Today we got the XPS and the plywood floor cut and put in but not bolted down. We’ve got all the Thinsulate panels cut and hope to mount them tomorrow. We’ve got to take advantage of our 5 days of garage time. Thank you again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Uline has packing foam but it comes in large quantities. You might find other sellers with smaller rolls.

Thank you. I looked after seeing your suggestion and saw one that was fairly affordable 1/4” x 12” x 50’ but wasn’t sure how the perforated would be. I may look at the sill gasket since it’s in stock here. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #316 ·
T

Thank you. I checked and our HD does carry the 5 1/2” sill gasket. I also appreciate the extra application information and pictures. I was hoping to find a good video to watch before tackling this but I might just dive in when the time comes. Yesterday we got the kilmat up. Today we got the XPS and the plywood floor cut and put in but not bolted down. We’ve got all the Thinsulate panels cut and hope to mount them tomorrow. We’ve got to take advantage of our 5 days of garage time. Thank you again.
You are welcome. HD might also carry 7.5” sill gasket (it is for 2x8 framed walls). The 7.5” might be a better width for you on the “C” pillars.

Yes take advantage of those 5 days 👍

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #317 · (Edited)
Jan 23:

Todays task was the roof fan Maxxair 7000 “All White” but with a black remote control

I do not like loading the roof, so I go to the huge effort of setting up scaffolding. Getting the scaffolding, setting it up, taking it down, & taking it back takes as much time as cutting the hole in the roof & installing the roof fan.

Here are the photos;

I make sure. Am in the center of the roof @ the high pan & I drill a small hole to ensure when I get to the roof. I also verify this when I’m up n the roof.

Line Font Wood Rectangle Gas

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

Tire Window Vehicle Building Wheel

I clean the area of the roof with a clean rag & 99% alcohol. And then I mark it out 14” x 14” standard hole & I check to make sure it is square.
Rectangle Grey Font Handwriting Flooring

I use a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade, after I drill an appropriate size hole in the 4 corners. I then cleanup the edges with files and Scotch Brite Pads.
Window Rectangle Grey Material property Wood

I then put butyl tape around the edge of the fan mount & place it on the once again cleaned roof with alcohol. I get Mrs RV8R to hold the plywood backing I made out of 3/4” Birch plywood 19” x 18.5” with a 14”x14” hole cur out after marking it in the roof hole. The I predrill a pilot hole just barely thru the van skin and into the plywood backing & use another cordless drill to install the screw. I start with 1 corner at a time until all 4 corners are screwed & then I do the middle screws one at a time. Then I drill all the remaining holes in one operation & then install the remaining screws. Then I hand tighten each screw to ensure torque. Then I trim off the excess butyl that squashes out the side. Then I add the self leveling sealant over the screw heads & the mounting flange & van roof;
Window Grille Rectangle Grey Automotive exterior

Edit; I have cut out & installed 3 of these fans now. On the first on I did in 2018, I fought to install the 4 screws that mount the “unit” to the roof flange. The last 2 “recent” installs there was no fighting these 4 screws.

Watercraft Vehicle Toy Hood Automotive mirror

Here is the trick; In the photo above you can barely see the black “pressure” seal on the side labeled front. I removed the interior screen on the unit and have a helper pull down by reaching through the fan and holding onto the crossmember to pull the unit and pressurize the little black seal. It is easier to crank the hood up, screw in the front screws first as they are most difficult to reach, and then screw in the rear screws. I get my helper to apply pressure to the front first while installing the front screws. Once they are in the helper pressurizes the back in order to get the back screws in. The other minor detail is this, the four metal clips the pinch the mounting flange where these four screws go through come from the factory with a small gap at the top were these pinch the mounting flange. While mounting the flange to the roof, I pushed one of these clips down by accident. I adjusted it back into the original position before attempting to mount “the unit”.

I’m a little bad for “not reading the install manuals” with things & stuff, so in full honesty I do not know if this “technique is mentioned or if Maxxair glosses over this minor issue (that caused me more fighting time than cutting out the hole on the 1st fan I did in 2018).

added footnote; I am a bit of a purest in regards to waterproofing design over aesthetics or function. So I always place my roof fans on the location Ram intended them to be - the highest flat surface of the PM roof.

However if you want a roof fan in a different location, although I have never used it I think @Hein PM corrigated roof fan adapters would be “the ticket”. I do not like relying upon sealants in a roof trough situation, but if I had to have it, I would buy these adapters from @Hein

I would also buy them 1st and receive them and use them for the template to mark out the hole to cut - not cut the hole & then purchase the adapters as the corrugations are set in the adapters

Promaster Roof Vent Adapter for 14

Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Slope

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #318 ·
Blooper Post;

Ok; having looked at the above post yesterday, I see I should have vacuumed the metal filings from the roof, while I still have a scaffolding up. I will attempt to clean those up today. It is cold out 1C & night & 7C during day high, so I suspect the self leveling sealant will take a bit to “set up”. I do now want these steel filings getting trapped in the top of the sealant.

Grille Automotive exterior Window Motor vehicle Bumper

Also; when I set up scaffolding I ensure the crossbrace slope matches the fascia board of the house ! Just kidding 😜

Building Wood Window Siding Facade

301 - 320 of 548 Posts