Ram Promaster Forum banner
281 - 300 of 548 Posts

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
Thanks @83Grumman

I definitely have some cleanup work to do before the trunk liner goes up (including 1” polyiso on the ceiling - I ordered it before Christmas when they said 1 week away - still not here 😳). There are many things this time around that are screwing with my schedule due to Covid caused supply chain issues. As in any other constructin project, I just have to switch gears & work on another area of the van. The ceiling insulation is in scheduling terms “a critical path task”.

I choose trunk liner this time around, mostly from your post about it years ago. I followed your posts on the topic & really liked it as it hides many sins and odd shapes. So after convincing Mrs. RV8R to accept it, I now have the authorization to proceed. My only real concern with using trunk liner in a van is the “fabric” Con; porous for air movement; trapping airborne materials; spores, dust, dirt, dog hair, moisture, etc. I’m getting delayed with the ceiling polyiso, so it made give me an opportunity to look at reducing the truck liner area for 5mm prefinished birch panels. If a better detail/idea comes & I have not painted myself into a corner yet - I take it. Saving grace of automotive trunk liner - it is specifically manufactured for the auto industry & is specifically treated for mould prevention etc. We do not cook in our van, so capturing cooking residues will not be a factor. My preference is hard sealed panels, bu it is so hard to resist trunk liner’s contouring ability.

Regarding the aluminum angle; Yep 👍 To anchor the upper cabinet fronts I was planning on a similar design, but it is not totally fleshed out yet. I have the advantage of 3/16” x 2” flat aluminum pinch bars & I loosely planned on installing a 1/4” rivnut into these which in turn are held onto the ceiling ribs by 8 - 1/4” rivnuts. The roof ribs are 0.030” & when I close the sliding door, they move. With the ceiling panels on with these aluminum pinch bars any movement is greatly reduced. The entire roof structure is stiffened up.

Thanks for your posts & heads ups !!

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
Jan 19;

Took my wheel well tanks in to the local plastics shop to get new 1/2” outlets spinwelded on the front inside corner of the tanks. Not sure when I will get them back.

Today I changed my mind about trunk liner above the cabinet ledger. I am still using trunk liner in the areas where it shins best - weird shapes and contours like the mid-pillars & such. So behing the cabinets will now be 5mm prefinished birch panels. I made up the lower ones this morning.

Gas Ceiling Font Space Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Mode of transport Automotive exterior Gas Rolling stock

Then after I made those, I used the transfer screws my buddy made for me last night to transfer the holes onto the back of the upper wall ledger (for the upper cabinets);

Automotive lighting Hood Grille Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Vehicle Aircraft Motor vehicle Aviation Aerospace manufacturer

Table Wood Wood stain Tree Plank

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Font Gas Bumper

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 · (Edited)
After locating and drilling out all the holes for those ledgers , I routered the bottom edge to ease the corners & I stained the accent colour “🍒” ,,,

Wood Table Flooring Rectangle Floor

Once dried I moved them against the lighter black colour & we think the cherry looks good with the black;

Brown Rectangle Wood Floor Flooring

·
Registered
33 Posts
I sprayed the ceiling beams and a couple of the horizontal beams with Great Stuff and I can tell you that it didn’t do a darn thing for heat/cold transfer. I believe stuffing them with Thinsulate or poly-fill and then covering them with a thin layer of close cell foam as per Gary is the better approach.
Could also use Havelock Wool which is very easy to stuff into odd places, and I have heard is back in supply.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My passenger-side box does not come all the way to the doorway, so there is enough room for a square dollar store gallon water jug there. I also installed a usb outlet on the side facing the B-pillar, which is quite handy for plugging my device in while I’m using it in the reversed seat.
Do you have a photo of that area? I was not able to find it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
After locating and drilling out all the holes for those ledgers , I routered the bottom edge to ease the corners & I stained the accent colour “🍒” ,,,

View attachment 82057

Once dried I moved them against the lighter black colour & we think the cherry looks good with the black;

View attachment 82061
I am new here and have followed your thread tonight. Wow, what a wait on your van, and then to have it arrive with the weather and get to drive it home in the snow! How did it handle?

Exciting to see it coming together, in spite of missing and late parts. I like the color of the stain. I am living vicariously through your build. Congratulations on your new van :)

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
I am new here and have followed your thread tonight. Wow, what a wait on your van, and then to have it arrive with the weather and get to drive it home in the snow! How did it handle?

Exciting to see it coming together, in spite of missing and late parts. I like the color of the stain. I am living vicariously through your build. Congratulations on your new van :)
Thanks @elkwoman

Yes it took almost 1 year for delivery. The day we picked it up, the highways were n pretty good shape, but the hill that our house is on can be treacherous in snow. So we decided to leave it for that night at the local airport & attempt to get it to our driveway the next day. It had been warming up and raining, so that helped & the conditions had greatly improved by the next day. So I did not need to drive in in the snow very much & the traction was pretty good.

Yes with Covid and supply chain issues a DIYer never knows what will slow down the project. If I get my 1” polyiso soon I could have the walls, ceiling, & floor done by the end of January. I have lots of tasks I can alter sequence if need be.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
Jan 20;

Today consisted of glueing thin foam on some areas that trunk liner was being applied & then installing the trunk liner. After that was complete for the main panel areas I then installed the wall panels;

White Automotive lighting Rectangle Automotive exterior Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Mode of transport Naval architecture

Building Shade Floor Flooring Gas

I then mounted 1 cherry ledger trim to see what it would look like with the colours;

Rectangle Wood Gas Tints and shades Flooring

Black upper cabinets will sit on top of that cherry ledger. The cherry trims need another coat of stain, so I did that tonight and tomorrow I can clear coat them.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 · (Edited)
Design Considerations;

Handwriting Rectangle Font Parallel Art

You can read about this in this link

My point is this; In DIYer “Design / Build” the Design is a bideal. I am always looking for a better mousetrap design.

In van design as space is limited, if a DIYer can design around multiple uses or activities for one space the better the design & way more efficient use of the space. Some of the “Promaster Pioneers” like @MsNomer , KOV, & @RDinNHandAZ knew this or developed this with their builds. If you can design a space for 2 or more uses you are doing well !! That coupled with keeping it simple - even better.

I posted in the above about warming Lithium batteries, not because I have Lithium (some day maybe), but because this is a prime example of designing for 2 or more applications for equipment. I could be better explaining what I do for design to help others, so this post is for that intent. In the above chicken scratch sketch, I am showing the design & 2 uses of my Propex Furnace;

1st it is a furnace to keep us warm when cold outside
2nd it is a battery warmer (batteries & especially Lithium do not like it cold).
3rd I am taking advantage of the design to force the warm air pathway up over the bed & to return under the bed - thus circulation surrounding the bed - a very efficient technique & as far away from the cab as possible. From the 6” gap between the rear doors & bed & under the bed into the mechanical compartment is in HVAC terms a plenum.

I was involved “back in the day when incandescent & halogen lights were a thing” in renovating a building for a large lighting store. The mechanical & electrical engineers actually took into account the heat generated from the lighting displays in this massive warehouse like building. When LEDs came into effect, I can imagine their lighting bill reduced & their heating bill increased.

Design / Building vans has given me more respect towards Architects & Engineers as to the need of being omni-visionary in the design phase.

So as a novice when looking thru the pages & pages of “The Forum” the design my not be apparent or appreciated for the what, why, & how. Usually if you don’t understand why something is designed a certain way all you have to do is ask & a more experienced Member will be glad to share his/her knowledge.

Design - A Big Deal

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 · (Edited)
Jan 21;

Installed the rest of the trunk liner on the walls today & installed the higher wood panels. Also clear coating the cherry ledgers;

Motor vehicle Hood Light Car Automotive design

Shade Rectangle Gas Tints and shades Monochrome

Started to look at the upper cabinets & where I can pickup support at the roof ribs for the upper cabinets.

Here is a “trick” for new DIYers that do not know how to find a “level” in a van that is not “level” - a string-line. Assuming there are parts of the PM van that are built flat & equal distance like the metal cargo floor & the wall stringers where I am bolting on ledgers to attach upper cabinets to;

Mode of transport Automotive design Gas Ceiling Symmetry

Or check your door alignment 😜;
Hood Automotive lighting Grille Motor vehicle Gas

hard to see the srting in that photo - easier in this one;
Rectangle Wood Wall Tints and shades Paint

Anyway, that is an easy way to establish the “level” line of the bottom of my upper cabinets without a “level” or without a level van.

I also had this upper gable from my 2018 “Franken-Shelves”. Not to create that monstrosity aging, I am attempting a more elegant design. We shall see how it works out “part deux”;

Rectangle Handwriting Wood Font Automotive exterior

The old upper gable was also used for a colour board for wood stains😳.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 · (Edited)
Nice chetoyance in that ply.
Thanks @MsNomer

I’m a construction dude, but you got me with that one - I had to look up “chetoyance” 😳.

It is 5mm Pre-Finished Birch from China. Same local supplier as last 2018 build. The difference is when I showed up to pickup my order it was already waiting for me 😕 (I like to go thru the lift & hand pick my sheets). So I got what I got, but was happier when I hand picked back in late 2018.

So there were “selective” cuts & off cuts of 4x8 sheets. It was labeled on the back side of the sheets. Some of the least favorite natural wood or imperfections are hidden behind shelves or the mattress etc. However unless I wanted to throw away 1/2 a sheet or more, I had to be very careful of what I was cutting for where. The best sheets were used for the ceiling.

In hindsight, I should have asked to handpick “my sheets” & dealt with the look - You know the “Oh you are one of those guys” look. Now I am kicking myself ,,, a little bit. I need to get over my OCPD.

Coincidentally, earlier today I caught this in the work lighting (it will be above the mattress @ Mrs. RV8Rs feet). It is the type of wood grain or “chetoyance” I like;

Rectangle Wood Material property Shade Composite material

·
Premium Member
2021 Silver ProMaster 159
245 Posts
Jan 20;

Today consisted of glueing thin foam on some areas that trunk liner was being applied & then installing the trunk liner. After that was complete for the main panel areas I then installed the wall panels;

View attachment 82090

View attachment 82091

View attachment 82092

I then mounted 1 cherry ledger trim to see what it would look like with the colours;

View attachment 82093

Black upper cabinets will sit on top of that cherry ledger. The cherry trims need another coat of stain, so I did that tonight and tomorrow I can clear coat them.
What glue did you use for both the foam and then the trunk material?

·
Registered
33 Posts
May I ask did you use 1/4” foam and where did you source it and the headliner from? Did you use 3M 90 spray on both to attach? Lastly did you find it difficult to apply? I’ve been following your thread as we had also been waiting several months for our 3500 to arrive. We’re from Alaska so it’s way to cold to work outside until “Spring”. Today we were lucky to work on our van as a friend of a friend is out of town for a few days and is allowing us to use their oversized garage. I’m glad that you’re ahead of us and posting even though we’ve done a lot of research, we don’t have any experience in this new endeavor of ours. Thank you again for documenting your build.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
May I ask did you use 1/4” foam and where did you source it and the headliner from? Did you use 3M 90 spray on both to attach? Lastly did you find it difficult to apply? I’ve been following your thread as we had also been waiting several months for our 3500 to arrive. We’re from Alaska so it’s way to cold to work outside until “Spring”. Today we were lucky to work on our van as a friend of a friend is out of town for a few days and is allowing us to use their oversized garage. I’m glad that you’re ahead of us and posting even though we’ve done a lot of research, we don’t have any experience in this new endeavor of ours. Thank you again for documenting your build.
I used “sill gasket” for thin foam. Purchased it @ HD;

Gesture Automotive design Wood Gas Nail

The glue & trunk liner I purchased from a local auto upholstery shop. Here is the glue I used;
Drinkware Automotive tire Tin Fluid Drink

My 1st build lives in “Whitehorse” now 2018 EXT. 🥶🥶

Installing 🤔 ,,, I had little screw ups, but I am working alone, so I founded it best to start by setting the liner 1st, then glue an edge, then glue the remainder & work from the center out if possible;

White Boat Naval architecture Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Interior design Hood Electrical wiring Building Automotive exterior

Spraying both the bulk of the liner & foil faced insulation with glue;
Automotive design Automotive exterior Wood Building Tints and shades

I did not have a photo of the trunk liner in place, but here is one of me gluing the wood panel to the polyiso foil face 2” Insulation;
Automotive design Floor Automotive exterior Shade Flooring

·
Premium Member
2019 136 low roof
304 Posts
I used “sill gasket” for thin foam. Purchased it @ HD;

View attachment 82136

The glue & trunk liner I purchased from a local auto upholstery shop. Here is the glue I used;
View attachment 82137

My 1st build lives in “Whitehorse” now 2018 EXT. 🥶🥶

Installing 🤔 ,,, I had little screw ups, but I am working alone, so I founded it best to start by setting the liner 1st, then glue an edge, then glue the remainder & work from the center out if possible;

View attachment 82138

View attachment 82139

Spraying both the bulk of the liner & foil faced insulation with glue;
View attachment 82140

I did not have a photo of the trunk liner in place, but here is one of me gluing the wood panel to the polyiso foil face 2” Insulation;
View attachment 82141
Very helpful tips on installing the liner...a task I will be facing soon. Thanks!

281 - 300 of 548 Posts