Ram Promaster Forum banner
221 - 240 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
6,747 Posts
My passenger-side box does not come all the way to the doorway, so there is enough room for a square dollar store gallon water jug there. I also installed a usb outlet on the side facing the B-pillar, which is quite handy for plugging my device in while I’m using it in the reversed seat.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Maybe RV8R could led me out of this fog

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
Hi @baitbegger44##

The photo in post #215 is of @Jing build & I posted it as an example of built in foot stools that are needed to be comfortable when swiveling the seats around (not my build - sorry for any confusion).

& correct. Have already purchased months ago a Truck Fridge 130.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Jan 10th; ( Finished Wall & Ceiling Panels & Checked Van for Layout );

So today I completed the wall and ceiling panels & drulling and installed rivnuts in the ceiling rib above the pizza oven.

I intend to attack my cabinet to these 5 locations, and this is how I locate the holes;
Hand Gesture Font Gas Automotive exterior

Sleeve Gesture Wood Rectangle Finger

Panel back on & re-align the ruler & drill a small pilot hole to mark the loca
Textile Rectangle Wood Art Denim

Road surface Rectangle Asphalt Wood Line

Take panel off, use a step up drill to enlarge the hole & check holes with panel back o
Wood Beige Flooring Adhesive Gas

The Final Panel;
Wood Gas Vehicle Motor vehicle Engineering

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Jan 10th Drilled & Rivnut Above Pizza Oven (a tight space to work in);

So after drilling out the cleco hole so can install rivnuts, had to use a 90 degree hand drill. Then as I can’t get in that location with my rivnut installer I had to use this bolt type rivnut install tool;

Material property Wood Jewellery Cable Font

Photograph White Light Gesture Snow

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
Jan 11;

So today’s build time was spent driving around & picking up items I need. Some hardware, angle iron for the bed, truck liner & spray glue, an inline fuse for the rear view camera.

I did manage to install the rear view camera;

Television Output device Television set Architecture Cable television

Ya I know the camera should be on the outside of the van 🤪, but I ran into a 50/50. I could only get 50% of the bolts outta the rear camera housing;

Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Street light Vehicle door

FYI - This is how you remove the radio unit;

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

Then with both hands move the screwdrivers to the outsides (photo shows one hand only cause I was taking the photo with the right hand);
Hand Motor vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood

I stripped the inside of the van. I then started marking paths & locations for electrical items;

Automotive tire White Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Plant Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Product Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

My garage is a bit of a mess. Clean up tomorrow 😳.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 · (Edited)
How Do Good Ideas Come To You ??

I have had almost a year to design my build (without the van). Of course without having the van the design can be roughly designed, but hard exact measurements or dimensions can not be verified or solidified. In Construction terms this process is very similar to notations on “Shop Drawings” calling for “Field Measurements”. The other process of locating fitments & equipment along with all the things that go along with that is what we refer to as a “Mock Up”. Field Measurements & Mock Ups are used by Designers to throw the responsible on to the “Site Installers”. So another term build into all designs is “Tolerance”. When DIY Design/Build the designer/builder plays all of the aforementioned roles.

Fighting for Fractions; So with that in mind, & having all the mistakes I made with van #1 (inefficiency in design in terms of wasted space), I am designing & field measuring & redesigning & re-field measuring. The more time I ponder alternate designs the more ideas “Some of Them Good” will come to me. I am fighting for fractions. Fighting for fractions saves me inches & if I win back enough inches “cubed” I can save a lot of volume. It matters. I called this build thread “TETRIS” after the video game where the player fit as many odd shaped pieces into a 2D space in order to fill it with zero voids all awhile the pieces frequency would speed up 😳. So in van design/building it is very much a 3D version of Tetris for me. It is a challenge.

I have decided to prewire some of my electrical. Last build I surface mounted the wires behind the cabinets etc, & that was ok & totally serviceable. This time around I am going to try something a little different & hide some of my wiring within the walls & pre-run the lines to the ceiling. So I have started to mark out 12v & 120v on the van to get the picture. In pre-wire one needs to know where the appliance/lights “the load” is located & also where the distribution panel will be located, these are referd to as “termination points” both sides of the wire. So this got me to I need to solidify where my panels (in my case a Power Center) will be located.

My Good Idea; My design had the power center under the bed facing the aisle. I have been struggling with the “Step Up” for the bed (in order to get a reasonable amount of space under the bed for storage the top of mattress heights in vans have to be uncomfortably high (worse for mountain bikes & other storage hungry activities) without a step up. Our mattress height will be 33” above finished floor level. So I have a step up beside the bed. I loosely planned on what to utilize the space under the step up for. Batteries, a pull out drawer for storage, the Propex heater, a lift up “step” on a piano hinge to access items that would fit there, & a small wall vent hot water tank. So everything, but literally “the kitchen sink” aaaandddddd the Power Center. So when visualizing the prewire going under the bed, I 3D planned the wire path & the power center under the step up flashed into my mind. Could it be? I rushed down to the basement to measure it. Rats it would cost me 14” rather than the 8 or 10 or 12 max that I planned - idea aborted ,,, then running back up the stairs “what if I turned it to face the toilet rather than the aisle 🤔🤔 ,,, I 180’d and reviewed that - Bingo !! 💡

Handwriting Schematic Font Parallel Rectangle

Packing materials Package delivery Rectangle Wood Font

Wood Material property Gas Rectangle Audio equipment

Rectangle Wood Gas Box Font

·
Premium Member
2019 136 low roof
211 Posts
How Do Good Ideas Come To You ??

I have had almost a year to design my build (without the van). Of course without having the van the design can be roughly designed, but hard exact measurements or dimensions can not be verified or solidified. In Construction terms this process is very similar to notations on “Shop Drawings” calling for “Field Measurements”. The other process of locating fitments & equipment along with all the things that go along with that is what we refer to as a “Mock Up”. Field Measurements & Mock Ups are used by Designers to throw the responsible on to the “Site Installers”. So another term build into all designs is “Tolerance”. When DIY Design/Build the designer/builder plays all of the aforementioned roles.

Fighting for Fractions; So with that in mind, & having all the mistakes I made with van #1 (inefficiency in design in terms of wasted space), I am designing & field measuring & redesigning & re-field measuring. The more time I ponder alternate designs the more ideas “Some of Them Good” will come to me. I am fighting for fractions. Fighting for fractions saves me inches & if I win back enough inches “cubed” I can save a lot of volume. It matters. I called this build thread “TETRIS” after the video game where the player fit as many odd shaped pieces into a 2D space in order to fill it with zero voids all awhile the pieces frequency would speed up 😳. So in van design/building it is very much a 3D version of Tetris for me. It is a challenge.

I have decided to prewire some of my electrical. Last build I surface mounted the wires behind the cabinets etc, & that was ok & totally serviceable. This time around I am going to try something a little different & hide some of my wiring within the walls & pre-run the lines to the ceiling. So I have started to mark out 12v & 120v on the van to get the picture. In pre-wire one needs to know where the appliance/lights “the load” is located & also where the distribution panel will be located, these are referd to as “termination points” both sides of the wire. So this got me to I need to solidify where my panels (in my case a Power Center) will be located.

My Good Idea; My design had the power center under the bed facing the aisle. I have been struggling with the “Step Up” for the bed (in order to get a reasonable amount of space under the bed for storage the top of mattress heights in vans have to be uncomfortably high (worse for mountain bikes & other storage hungry activities) without a step up. Our mattress height will be 33” above finished floor level. So I have a step up beside the bed. I loosely planned on what to utilize the space under the step up for. Batteries, a pull out drawer for storage, the Propex heater, a lift up “step” on a piano hinge to access items that would fit there, & a small wall vent hot water tank. So everything, but literally “the kitchen sink” aaaandddddd the Power Center. So when visualizing the prewire going under the bed, I 3D planned the wire path & the power center under the step up flashed into my mind. Could it be? I rushed down to the basement to measure it. Rats it would cost me 14” rather than the 8 or 10 or 12 max that I planned - idea aborted ,,, then running back up the stairs “what if I turned it to face the toilet rather than the aisle 🤔🤔 ,,, I 180’d and reviewed that - Bingo !! 💡
This all sounds very familiar...when I first looked at this forum and saw the name "Tetris" , I understood. I have spent far, far more time and energy measuring, planning, changing stuff and lying awake at night scheming, than I have actually building. And this is also my 2nd build.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
This all sounds very familiar...when I first looked at this forum and saw the name "Tetris" , I understood. I have spent far, far more time and energy measuring, planning, changing stuff and lying awake at night scheming, than I have actually building. And this is also my 2nd build.
I love it when a new idea “discovery” comes to me “before” it is too late 😁.

IMO & this is for “newbies”; Another thing I can in no way overstate is KIS “Keep It Simple”. Less Is More.

Critical Thinking for keeping it simple will pay out in spades. We DIYers search the internet for the latest and greatest idea out there. Example, on my 1st build for 12v efficiency I had to have an ARB 50QT & they are extremely efficient. But the complication of this was a fridge slide $500 so the chest fridge pulled out (and the fridge was $1,500). On a rough road we can hear the heavy duty steel roller bearing and steel frame slide rattle. Ya know what is simpler with less moving parts & you do not have to dig down into & is bigger of more usable interior space - a Truck Fridge 130. The moving part of the TF 130 is a swing door - KIS. I do not yet know the efficiency, but it is the same compressor as the ARB & I will also be adding 1” of Polyiso around the 3 sides & top of the fridge. Maybe @aaronmcd would consider a TF130 in his future build?

I can not overstate it “KIS”. KOV preaches it, I know it, @RDinNHandAZ also a KIS Member;

Head Chin Eyebrow Mouth Facial expression

No Not That 🤣

Another concept I discovered in van #1; Philosophy ,,, When I was building Van #1 it was “All About The Van” & the build. Once built (or mostly built) and we started to use the van, the project started to disappear & the van became a travel van & I no longer saw it as a project. Then another thing happened ,,, as we started using the van more & more on travel trips i started to be “All About The Places” we were experiencing. The van, the build, the project just simply washed outta my perspectives. That is about as best I can describe the feeling. It is a bit weird, but also a very real & surreal change in my mindset. It is almost a euphoric experience of perspective change towards what is really important to me - which is not a van, it is enjoying my life to the fullest that I can before my time on this Planet is over.

I’m focused on the van now, but it will soon be a thing of the past for me. I am curious to know if other DIYers have experienced the phenomenon I attempted to describe above?

·
Premium Member
2019 136 low roof
211 Posts

IMO & this is for “newbies”; Another thing I can in no way overstate is KIS “Keep It Simple”. Less Is More.

Critical Thinking for keeping it simple will pay out in spades. We DIYers search the internet for the latest and greatest idea out there. Example, on my 1st build for 12v efficiency I had to have an ARB 50QT & they are extremely efficient. But the complication of this was a fridge slide $500 so the chest fridge pulled out (and the fridge was $1,500). On a rough road we can hear the heavy duty steel roller bearing and steel frame slide rattle. Ya know what is simpler with less moving parts & you do not have to dig down into & is bigger of more usable interior space - a Truck Fridge 130. The moving part of the TF 130 is a swing door - KIS. I do not yet know the efficiency, but it is the same compressor as the ARB & I will also be adding 1” of Polyiso around the 3 sides & top of the fridge. Maybe @aaronmcd would consider a TF130 in his future build?

I can not overstate it “KIS”. KOV preaches it, I know it, @RDinNHandAZ also a KIS Member;

View attachment 81731

No Not That 🤣

Another concept I discovered in van #1; Philosophy ,,, When I was building Van #1 it was “All About The Van” & the build. Once built (or mostly built) and we started to use the van, the project started to disappear & the van became a travel van & I no longer saw i as a project. Then another thing happened ,,, as we started using the van more & more on travel trips i started to be “All About The Places” we were experiencing. The van, the build, the project just simply washed outta my perspectives. That is about as best I can describe the feeling. It is a bit weird, but also a very real & surreal change in my mindset. It is almost a euphoric experience of perspective change towards what is really important to me - which is not a van, it is enjoying my life to the fullest that I can before my time on this Planet is over.

I’m focused on the van now, but it will soon be a thing of the past for me. I am curious to know if other DIYers have experienced the phenomenon I attempted to describe above?
Well said...I too belong to the KISS camp....after all, it's really just a metal tent with wheels and a motor. However, there is some conflict when my creative urges override my KISS goals.

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,655 Posts
In my "first" (only) build, I feel like I spent too much effort on fractions. I keep thinking to myself that if I ever do it again, I'll spend less effort on fractions to make it easier to build. Everything is extremely tight. Cabinets placed precisely to the 1/4". My stovetop is just fore of the C pillar by about 1/4" in order to set it back in the sliding door space and have a slightly wider aisle. I spent hours finding the only sink that perfectly fit the space I had available. The front lip actually protrudes past the face frame under the countertop lip, and the faucet has no room to spare between the sink lip and the ledger board I attached the counter to. The entire sink/oven cabinet is a really odd shape with partial face frames and part frameless for the propane. The plumbing is jammed within a few inches to keep the kitchen as far aft as possible.

And on and on.

But, to your other point, I don't want to keep building, and it's all about travel now and just enjoying what turned out to be a very functional and relaxing place to chill out in the evenings, cook meals, etc. Now that I'm not fighting for fractions, and just enjoying it, I may be starting to forget how all the fractions added up to make it what it is now. If I didn't do any of that we could be living with a center floor space a couple inches narrower, a doorway a couple inches narrower, a toilet seat absurdly high, a bed we can't sit on, a counter that infringes on the driver swivel seat, a miniscule trash can, not enough space under the sink, etc.

So I think fighting for fractions is necessary, but would be easier in a second build. I would already know where and how to fight for them, where to avoid it, where it isn't needed, ways to simplify the use of space, how we use the space, etc.

As for the fridge, that's the daily Tetris. I'm still not sure about upright vs chest. We pack this chest fridge FULL. Every inch of space. Yes, it's a pain to shuffle through and Tetris in the groceries, but it fits. With an upright, I just couldn't pile stuff in like that. It's a trade off - a small daily chore of shuffling things around, vs. a bigger chore of going to the store a couple days earlier. I made a decision early on to avoid big chores as much as possible, with the fridge decision, a dry toilet, large trash space. I think it pays off. Living in the van is a whole bunch of minor daily chores anyway. I'd rather be able to boondock for a week before needing fresh water, more groceries, empty trash.

·
Premium Member
Ordered 2022 Promaster 2500 159" WB High Roof
27 Posts

View attachment 81731

No Not That 🤣

Another concept I discovered in van #1; Philosophy ,,, When I was building Van #1 it was “All About The Van” & the build. Once built (or mostly built) and we started to use the van, the project started to disappear & the van became a travel van & I no longer saw it as a project. Then another thing happened ,,, as we started using the van more & more on travel trips i started to be “All About The Places” we were experiencing. The van, the build, the project just simply washed outta my perspectives. That is about as best I can describe the feeling. It is a bit weird, but also a very real & surreal change in my mindset. It is almost a euphoric experience of perspective change towards what is really important to me - which is not a van, it is enjoying my life to the fullest that I can before my time on this Planet is over.

This is why I really appreciate your threads and comments RV8R, along with many of the other more experienced folks on this Forum. I like the way you all can combine practicality and philosophy at the same time.

As a "first timer" and also one who doesn't even have his van yet, I started thinking about this "journey" by thinking big and including almost everything I could think of in my Wants and Needs list, including buying fully decked out Class B units from the big commercial builders. After I started researching, reading blogs and posts on this and other forums, watching You Tube videos, and just thinking about what we might want to do, that list has been whittled down to something much more manageable. With that said, where I am at now is striving to KISS in a DIY build, but not at the expense of compromising on the experiences we hope to have.

Again, thanks to all on this Forum. Now that I have an early April 2022 build date, I hope to be able to contribute more meaningfully at that time.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
This is why I really appreciate your threads and comments RV8R, along with many of the other more experienced folks on this Forum. I like the way you all can combine practicality and philosophy at the same time.

As a "first timer" and also one who doesn't even have his van yet, I started thinking about this "journey" by thinking big and including almost everything I could think of in my Wants and Needs list, including buying fully decked out Class B units from the big commercial builders. After I started researching, reading blogs and posts on this and other forums, watching You Tube videos, and just thinking about what we might want to do, that list has been whittled down to something much more manageable. With that said, where I am at now is striving to KISS in a DIY build, but not at the expense of compromising on the experiences we hope to have.

Again, thanks to all on this Forum. Now that I have an early April 2022 build date, I hope to be able to contribute more meaningfully at that time.
Hey @BEF081056

Congrats on your Build Date - Exciting !!

We seem similar in the respect of initially thinking big & then really looking at that quest in the terms of “Is this what I really want”.

Before experiencing a Travel Van, I had no idea, but it is way way better than I could imagine. Even a small motor home does not compare for me. Even a Factory Camper Van does not compare to a DIY custom for me.

For Mrs RV8R & me, it really becomes about “what can the van do for us” or where can it take us and how much fun will we have doing it.

I’m focusing on the build right now, but that will be short lived if I have little for road blocks. I am looking forward to that euphoric feeling of getting out on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Jan 10th; ( Finished Wall & Ceiling Panels & Checked Van for Layout );

So today I completed the wall and ceiling panels & drulling and installed rivnuts in the ceiling rib above the pizza oven.

I intend to attack my cabinet to these 5 locations, and this is how I locate the holes;
View attachment 81646
View attachment 81647

Panel back on & re-align the ruler & drill a small pilot hole to mark the loca
View attachment 81648

View attachment 81650

Take panel off, use a step up drill to enlarge the hole & check holes with panel back o
View attachment 81651

The Final Panel;
View attachment 81652
Thanks for the photos and guiding.

What is your method to reference "vertical" lines in the promaster?

Do you define a "horizontal line" through some existing factory hole CL and then just reference vertical from there?

_

I have to admit that I worked on a promaster this fall and it was a heck of a lot easier to run wires around than a sprinter.

·
Premium Member
2019 136 low roof
211 Posts
Thanks for the photos and guiding.

What is your method to reference "vertical" lines in the promaster?

Do you define a "horizontal line" through some existing factory hole CL and then just reference vertical from there?

_

I don't know about others but I have a drywall T square with one of the short legs cut off for clearance and reference horizontal and vertical from the floor. It has bee invaluable.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·
JAN 12

Today I “pre-wired” the van. The 1st van I did, I ran all the wiring inside cabinets etc. This time around I thought I would try “pre-wiring”. On the 1st van I was concerned about an issue with the wiring & having to abandon a circuit, so I ran the wires in the cabinet. This time I just don’t care about all that.

It took me way way less time to pre-wire than what I did in 2019.

So 1 days work & pre-wire is done (that included a visit to the boat store - I ran out of wire) 😁

About every-time I run to “the store” to get something I am missing, I think of @aaronmcd comments about the ridiculous number of times he had to go to the store & I think to myself Me Too. Today I just thought meh I’m not a hardware store.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Mode of transport Gas

Electrical wiring Gas Engineering Control panel Machine

White Hood Electrical wiring Gas Automotive exterior

221 - 240 of 333 Posts