Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Is there anything ”better” out there?
Like some others here, I have a Bogart Tri-Metric Monitor. I wouldn't say it's better, but it does provide a wide range of info. They have also been around a long time without upgrading the outward appearance, but the underlying tech is solid and settings are quite flexible. I haven't sprung for its phone app remote (@MsNomer has), so I don't know what it's capabilities are.

I agree, you can't use display values from individual components (MPPT, etc) as your battery monitor. You need a stand-alone monitor, with a dedicated shunt, to get the battery bank perspective. The display on my inverter-charger shows volts and amps only, not SOC. Volts track well with the Bogart, but amps are usually different. Even the tech support guy told me not to trust its display values.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
How the Factory Swivel Seats "ergonomics feel" in relation to foot rest and closeness of build and if batteries can go behind the drivers seat and not impede function of the swivels - what say you @SteveSS ??
By foot rest, do you mean a step extension installed behind the swivel seats? I sized ours as a compromise between ergonomics (foot/knee space) and lower cabinet space. The top of the step is about 9" above the metal cargo floor, and about 7-1/4" above the finish floor (1" polyiso+1/2" ply+1/4" vinyl). That left me 6-1/2" of free space under the step, which isn't enough for most batteries. I have my 2kW Chinese parking heater under there and shoe storage. I think those with batteries there ended up with taller foot rests.

The horizontal dimensions of our step extension are fairly minimal, which means comfortable foot/knee room in the rear swivelled position requires the seats be run as far forward as possible (toward the van front). The horizontal distance between the metal step edge and my driver-side lower cabinet is 22". That tapers to 15" behind the passenger seat, which leaves an 18" entryway beside the fridge cabinet in front of the slider. That sounds small, but it's totally fine since there is no overhead cabinet over the fridge.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Can "factory swivels" get locked in a roughly 135 degree position rather than a 180 degree position? If so I could see the Driver's swivel (in our case) turned to the 135 degree position and the floor extended like yours, but farther "starboard" side that floor extension bumped higher to house the 2 golf cart size batteries (in the location you have those white looking crates in your photo - are they standard milk crates? 13"x13"). I am going to attempt to do a better job of "tetris(ing)" in the stuff this time around & clean up any inefficiencies I can "pre-determine". A short PM alternator run (starter battery to house bank) is better than a longer one.
Factory swivels only lock at 0 and 180, but they aren't too bad in between.
Yes, those are standard milk crates.
My 500Ah coach bank is over the rear axle, so I ran 2/0 welding cable from the Princess. It can carry 150A to the back of the van with minimal V drop, but it rarely sees even half that.
Yep, there is a limit to the pre-planning you can do before you have the van in hand.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I am looking for a Hot Water "Tank" can be as small as 2 or 3 or 4 gallons, but not looking for "on demand". That being said - if your is on demand any water wasted down the drain waiting for hot water? Maybe I change my mind 🤔
I recently read about a new Canadian source for Truma products for the DIY market. Truma is the propane-fired combo air/water unit found in most European RVs.

I don't know about extra on-demand lag time, but for wasted water in general, there are two solutions: 1) install a recirculater circuit to divert initial flow back into fresh tank, or 2) don't worry about it if your faucet runs are short. I opted for the latter after my plumber son showed me the volume calculation from our IsoTemp to our kitchen faucet (shower run is less than half that).
1/2" PEX over a 4ft run = (0.25**2) x 3.1459 x 48 = 9.44 cu.in. = 0.65 cups !!
I can easily live with that much waste.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Just for reference, we have a 40gal fresh tank for everything but drinking. We both shower daily and normally go 3-4 days before taking on water. We take ship showers with a low-flow shower head that has a shut-off / volume control on the head. We could probably use a little less water showering, but that's no fun.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I think it is pretty hard to get "road water" as good as @ home here with the CRD eh Steve? Or it is hit & miss at best. We leave The Island with full tanks.
Since we don't drink from the fresh tank, our standards don't need to be that high. We have a separate 5gal tank and filtration system for potable.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Hey! Congrats on the long-awaited birth in Mexico!

I've been thinking about garage organizers myself. There has to be a way to use the space more efficiently, but I haven't figured it out yet. It all depends on what you plan to store back there. We have a mix of big and small stuff. The big stuff like chairs and table don't fit in boxes; I stand them up and bungee them to a side wall. We have 2-3 Rubbermaid toteboxes that stack. Those hold hook-up cables and hoses, and some other stuff. But there is always some loose stuff floating around. Semi-organized seems to be the limit without sacrificing flexibility.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Congrats, finally!! You picked a great day to bring it over! The swivels do take a little getting used to. When ours were new, the swivel release was very stiff, but it's fine now. However, the recline release will still fold you up like a taco if you're not careful. A shorepower connection was one of the first things I did, too. It really helps to have permanent power for heat and tools. Have you figured out why it has no spare? I see the tool kit, but can't tell if you have the winch/hoist for the spare.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Every battery chemistry has pros & cons. The BMS is there to protect the battery from extremes (temp, discharge, voltage, etc). I find I can easily manage those myself to the point the BMS has no need to intervene most of the time. In fact, I don't think it has ever had to. Lithium stays happy as long as you avoid extremes. In contrast, my old AGMs died because my system couldn't attain the necessary "extreme" voltage (100% SOC) often enough. The pros & cons of lithium meet my needs better, which means I'm more relaxed. YMMV, of course.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts