Ram Promaster Forum banner

141 - 160 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I dunno, I guess I'm not seeing it as an extra component or more complicated. Actually the opposite.
It's a single, inexpensive component that does exactly what your solar charge controller and isolator switch does, with less wiring. It also regulates the voltage from the alt, based on the SOC and type of house battery, which I would assume is a good thing and not a bad or unnecessary thing. And it can do all that with a solar panel plugged into it and can regulate and manage all of it without being touched. All that in one little $200 box.
I would think everyone thinks these things are wonderful for a simple, inexpensive system. What am I missing here in the logic?
Is a solar charger and isolator far less expensive and complicated than what I'm describing? What am I missing here?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
No, I think I want one. It seems simple to me and wanted to know if I'm missing anything. But I honestly haven't gotten any real answers. Just that I'm reinventing the wheel and it's overcomplicated gadgetry. I'm certainly not agonizing.
And I wouldn't be surprised if they're just busting my chops.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
If that reimbursement check would show up, I could buy one, install it, run it and report back for posterity.

·
Registered
348 Posts
No, I think I want one. It seems simple to me and wanted to know if I'm missing anything. But I honestly haven't gotten any real answers. Just that I'm reinventing the wheel and it's overcomplicated gadgetry. I'm certainly not agonizing.
And I wouldn't be surprised if they're just busting my chops.
I (and many others) use a WYCO panel that has multi stage charging from alternator or shore plus fused circuits for AC and DC. This makes a B2B redundant. I've read that high end lithium systems benefit from a B2B. If you start with a B2B you'll have to add your own fused circuits. A B2B would allow for future mods & eliminate a solar charge controller if you add panels later. The value of solar (200 watts) for me is maintaining my batteries (230ah) when the van sits. I don't see a reason to doubt or question your plan. It is different than many & may have an insignificantly higher initial cost. Others say you don't need it, it costs too much, etc, but none said it wouldn't work. Start from there & see where it goes. I experimented as I built, learned a lot, and would do it differently next time; however, no regrets.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I think kov is just having fun with my neuroticism.
Because there's no way he doesn't think it's the coolest thing ever.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I appreciate the responses and RV8R being a good sport about his build thread getting highjacked.

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
Yes KOV is but he is also correct, you don’t need it and sometime in the future you probably will revert to the other chargers. BTW It’s WFCO not WYCO Roblee. I use one and it does everything except control the solar MPPT.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Sounds like the way to go, if you are building a class B camper that you will spend a lot of time sitting still, plugged into shore power, need a lot of AC plugs/appliances etc.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I bought a panel earlier this summer, prices have dropped hugely this fall.
Had a plan, bought some pieces. Now with new products, reevaluating the whole thing.
Point is Your dime, Your ride and Your time. Make it whatever you want to satisfy your self. Be Proud Man!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
I bought a panel earlier this summer, prices have dropped hugely this fall.
Had a plan, bought some pieces. Now with new products, reevaluating the whole thing.
Point is Your dime, Your ride and Your time. Make it whatever you want to satisfy your self. Be Proud Man!
Rob 👍

Well said;

RnR

What Rob wrote resonates with me & I hope it does for you as well. Fact is me, RD, KOV, & all the others here probably wont be riding in your van (at least before new technology surpasses the stuff we are buying today). Different strokes for different folks. You are asking DIYers for their opinions 😳😳 - well meaning albeit they may vary slightly or hugely

There are pros & cons to every decision. $200 for a B2B that will do all that you reported sounds to me like a wonderful piece of equipment - better yet I think you are sold on it. At this point I would be disappointed if you did not buy one and experiment with it and provide this forum with your honest evaluation etc. Then if it is a wonderful product I for one would consider it if I installed solar or for van #2 ( after some research which I have not performed on B2B at all).

I think you are OK RnR; You ask questions here on the forum & are prepared to question the answers & you are willing to put up reasonable arguments. I like that and glad you are not a wallflower & you are welcome to trash thru my build thread anytime. You conjure up thought & different perspectives; heck you might even be right about some of it 😳

the WFCO power centers, are similar to what I installed (although mine does not charge from the alternator - I didnt know the WFCOs did🤔). The main reason why I went with my power center was to terminate AC & DC into one box - it is a space issue. If I had 120V again in van#2 I would do something similar, but without 120V in the van I would just have a DC panel.

To repeat what Rob wrote;

Your dime, Your ride and Your time

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The WFCO panel actually caught my attention for a minute. I haven't researched them. But I looked them up and it turned out a WFCO panel wouldn't be the right component for what I'm doing.
However, because I'm doing a "light" build, I will always have the option to build more into the van and if it lasts ling enough, I may end up doing a full class B build out and do more stationary camping. Ya never know.
If that happens, a panel like that would work great, along with a lot of other features and components.
Also, I'm sure the tech will be all brand new in 5 yrs and again in 10.
Cross that bridge when we get to it.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
As far as the B2B chargers I've looked at recently, they almost sound too good to be true. That's why I was expecting to either hear someone say they are complete junk and everyone who has them regrets it, or they were wonderful.
So, yes, I think you're right. I need to take one for the team and just buy one and see if it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Or I could be a total PITA and just keep talking and asking about it incessantly.
'cause that's fun for everyone.

141 - 160 of 187 Posts