Ram Promaster Forum banner

201 - 220 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Nice work on the zip tied, neat wiring.
One question: are they all labeled at each end?
Thanks RnR

The heart of my electrical system is a Parallax “Power Center” (details on this thread). This power center has a AC panel & a DC panel. Yes the panels are labeled. No the wires are not labeled at the “load” ends. In practical terms, a volt/ohm meter can sort that out if the need occurs.

So far, no “Magic Smoke” ?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #205 (Edited)
Well today I finally purchased, fabricated, & installed 2”x2” 1/8” thickness aluminum angle trims at my exposed floor edges (1” ridig & 3/4” BB Plywood) adjacent to the slider door and rear doors.

Photos

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
I’ve been thinking of doing that for five years.
I have a written list of all the little things. The floor edges got crossed off yesterday. That saying 90% done & 90% to go is exactly how I feel about these projects.

The list is still longer than I would like, but I will pick away on it. I have kinda adopted the attitude with the van “are we truly ever really done?”.

The most important thing for us is we are getting out there & using it & enjoying life.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
The “Cab Curtains”

We purchased curtains from Wallmart. Love the curtains that are just the right size, but did not like our original plastic coated wire & setup. For that span about 6 feet, we did not like the tension on the wire & the sag in the middle. So we changed it out to the following aircraft 1/8” cable, custom made middle hook for the cable, & cable hardware.

Very Happy with the cable system now;

This end is a crimp end & the cable fed thru a small drilled hole slightly larger than the 1/8” aircraft cable;

Custom middle cable holder bracket (unhook to slide curtain past & behind passenger seat (then rehook - very easy simple solution to cable sag issue);

The hardware “tightening end behind driver seat” & covered up by the non-sliding portion of the drivers side curtain;

Both drivers side & passenger side curtains tucked behind drivers seat (travel configuration, so we can see thru the passenger side “slider window” when shoulder checking;

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
The IKEA wire curtain rods is pretty simple to use and about $15 US. Basically the same set up with less thinking ;)
Thanks KOV ?

I was aware of the Ikea systems & considered going that route. I very often take the harder path or the path less travelled; not sure why, just my nature I suppose. I have been accused of over thinking before. Maybe that is the real attraction for me for these DIY Hobbies. Now I am going to spend sometime overthinking why we spend time on DIY Hobbies.?

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
That cable is crude in comparison to the Ikea rod and it can be tightened to avoid a center support:
Front
Attachment.jpg FrontOpen.jpg
Rear
HangerDetail.JPG OutsiedRear.JPG

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #217

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Still, a good effort tho. Better than using a 2X4?
Thanks KOV

IIRC you are currently building Van #2? I hope to get there someday after many many more miles with Van #1. I agree with what you wrote about DIY attraction and the challenge of “figuring out the design”. I’m guessing there are many designs on Van #1 that you kept & many design items that you changed or improved upon. There are many things I would do differently & many I would do the same. Depending upon how long I live & how many of these “prototypes“ I get to build I would think I could build faster with better designs with each one. I still have to finish the little bits on Van #1 tho?

·
Super Moderator
8,367 Posts
Well, my ‘14 PM is parked right beside my ‘20 waiting for Spring to spring so I can clean it up and market it. I "remodeled" it once already several years ago but in all honesty it was more because I needed a "project" rather than the van needed remodeling. My ‘20 PM is probably my 10th or more van I’ve "converted" for camping since the mid 60’s and every conversion has been totally different yet similar. My needs change and my van conversion changes every time to for fill those needs.
My first camper van was a ‘66 Chevy passenger (window) van. It was pretty crude by today’s standards but it took me throughout Mexico and the West coast fro sever winters in what I felt was safety and comfort. It had no insulation but did come with a full interior, an ice box designed for a travel trailer, a bowl to wash up in, no toilet, no heat other than from running the engine, no house batteries or anything to run off them if it did have them , my mother made curtains up for me and a small 1# propane single burner stove for cooking. All in all, I was a happy camper and today I’m even happier. My ‘20 PM will be my last, sad to say but it will fill my needs the most at the same time.

Here’s a photo of it on a ferry in Mexico (going to Cozumel I believe) in the good old days.

201 - 220 of 292 Posts