Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to install a roof rack, but the t-pegs for the roof rack adapters are ferrous steel. I anticipate that the paint will chip off causing rust to form and make orange streaks down the sides of my van.
Has any found a solution for this?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
It does bring up a question I don't recall ever being settled. Is the PM body galvinized under the paint? When I removed paint for a ground, it looked like it might be galvanized. Anyone know?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Yes, but there's more to it. As I have mentioned several times here, the cut-outs for my windows are leaning against my shop with a cut raw edge buried in dirt which is often damp. After FIVE years, they have minimal rust on this raw metal. So in addition to the galvanizing, our particular steel must not be as prone to rust as some. I’ve noticed that in Europe where this body dates to 2006, we never see rust except occasionally a bad accident repair.

·
Registered
2018 159"
22 Posts
Galvanized! Brilliant!
Hi,
The sheet steel used to make the panels for the van (and all automobiles) has a zinc oxide coating.
The entire van (once welded together but not painted) is submerged in a bath of solution that coats every surface, inside and out. The process is called EPD.
If you are bored:

At 0.24 in the video below, you can just see the van disappearing into the EPD bath

That being said, anytime the bare steel becomes exposed to air, it will rust to some extent.
Dave

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would like to install a roof rack, but the t-pegs for the roof rack adapters are ferrous steel. I anticipate that the paint will chip off causing rust to form and make orange streaks down the sides of my van.
Has any found a solution for this?
The most I have heard/read about the mounting points on the promasters is if you use vantech mount adapter that water likes to collect in the mount cover.

·
Super Moderator
8,053 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you mean the one with the blue plastic on the top here is a link to them at HD Superstrut 3/8 in. Nylon Strut Cone Nut - Gold Galvanized (5-Pack)-ZCM100 3/8 - The Home Depot they were on the same shelf with the spring nuts at HD and seemed much better. They came in several bolt sizes (¼", 5/16", ⅜") I used 5/16". They should be readily available wherever you can buy Superstrut or Unistrut.
Thanks. I might return the spring nuts and try these instead.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts