Ram Promaster Forum banner

Running board recommendation for the sides? Also debating between rear running board vs hitch step. Thanks!

5K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  MsNomer 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all, searched but didn't see anything recent.

Anyone have recommendation for Running boards? 2014 136" here.
I like the style that has lots of traction (for mud, wet feet, etc. Like the one linked below)

For the rear, i'm debating between getting a running board (that is compatible with my tow hitch-- not sure if this is a challenge or not) or getting a tow hitch step.
I can probably deal with not having a step when my bike rack is on the Van... Any thoughts/recommendations here would be appreciated too!

I do see a kit that I'm really liking: eBay Link. EDIT: The seller got back to me and told me rear step from the 3 piece kit will NOT work with Tow hitch, so now i'm considering
buying side running boards separate from rear (and finding a rear that works with tow hitch or using a tow hitch step)
Does anyone have any experience with this one? Sold by "transport-parts"
Anyone have experience with this seller?

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#4 ·
Awesome, thanks for the CarID link! I did not see those. I didn't think about the good place to sit factor for plastic hitch steps... both great points, thank you!
Some reviews say that although its 6.5" wide, since its mounted so close to van, when coming down, usable space is not 6.5" is short... thoughts?
Have you had it a while? any issues with them? still like em? I like the price point of yours so I may just go with it if i don't get any better recommendations/finds out there!

#6 ·
although its 6.5" wide, since its mounted so close to van
The STX600 was my second set of running boards and both were close to the van. You do have to be aware that it is close to the van. The supports do hit the ground when I go on some rough forest service roads but really just a reminder to back off and take it easy. Rear hitch step is a great seat to just chill out after storing the the bikes in the garage.

#5 ·
I love my Laverne running boards, they make a matching rear step, but I would probably use a hitch mounted one that can be removed for towing. But I don't really get into my van from the back so I don't have anything at the moment.

I used full length on both sides just because I think it looks better and more symmetric in my engineers mind (I know you can't see both sides at the same time, but I know)

The one on ebay looks similar. I like the open grid because they can't retain water or snow (I use the van in CT mostly).

#8 ·
Thanks everyone.
For you laverne lovers, do you have any issue with it being too short/close to van when coming down/out of van? Or does it feel pretty comfortable when walking out?
Any pictures showing this would be super appreciated! 🙏🙏
Thanks!

#9 ·
Thanks everyone.
For you laverne lovers, do you have any issue with it being too short/close to van when coming down/out of van? Or does it feel pretty comfortable when walking out?
Any pictures showing this would be super appreciated! 🙏🙏
Thanks!
I don't really feel like I would want it any further out. They already stick past the tires and on very tall curbs I have to be careful when parallel parking (I sometimes work in downtown Hartford CT and can't park in the garage).

The key is to treat the van entry like a ladder and not stairs. You always face a ladder. They don't really stick out far enough to step on with your heel unless you are careful, so I either step all the way down, turn and face the van, or step on it sideways. I would not want a running board that stuck out far enough to put my entire foot on like stairs.

#12 ·
Thanks for the great feedback and recommendations, here team!
Very appreciative to have yall to tell me your experiences as I'm getting into this myself!

I think i'll go either with the Luverne (or my eBay link as it seems like they're Luverne knockoffs (in fact one of his pictures shows a Luverne badge on it...)) for the driver and passenger side.
then thinking of either the Luverne or Weather Tech hitch step.

Do any of you Luverne rear step owners have a trailer hitch too? The product site says it may interfere but even the pic shows both...

Thanks!!

#13 ·
I would just get a hitch step for the back if you want to have a hitch. While it is shown with a hitch, that doesn't mean it won't interfere with stuff you want to attach to the hitch. A hitch step is removable, that is what I would get if I needed to be getting in the back of my van.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.