Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned about the existence of this just today, and on the surface it looks to be ideal for insulating our vans. Water resistant, mold/mildew resistant, virtually fireproof, etc. It is costly to get the "Roxul Rockboard 60" that would be needed for van insulation. These are 2" thick batts that hold their shape.

Here is a link to it on Amazon so you can see how it comes.

Anyone have any experience with this? Thoughts? Considerations?

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
4- 1" sheets of Polyisocyranurate 4'X8' Great stuff Pro gun and 2 cans to fit it to do a 136" HT. All available at Home Depot or Lowes. Easy, fast, proven, no squeaks, good to 190 degrees, no moisture absorption, R-7+ and <$200 even buying the gun. Thats my thought. I will finish mine tomorrow as I have been working on other things in the van.

From the description for the product you mention: "Warning: Can cause respiratory, skin and eye irritation. Precautionary Measures: Avoid breathing fiberglass dust and contact with eyes or skin. Use a NIOSH- certified disposable or reusable dust respirator (certified N95 or higher). Wear long-sleeved, loose fitting clothing, gloves and eye protection."

Not in my van.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think somebody on here found they had an allergy problem, due to the dust it makes?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Used Roxul on the bottom half of my van.There is no trace of it when completed. Works excellent.
Installing it is the bad thing. Had it installed over a year ago and there is no respiratory,skin and eye
irritation. It is only when installing. Then clean and your done. These warnings are for people with
no common sence. Fibre glass insulation is the same thing in your home.That is when installing
,wear eye protection,gloves, respirator and long sleeve shirt. (Same Warnings).

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I think somebody on here found they had an allergy problem, due to the dust it makes?
Yes that was GuyT. It got him big time. If you take the proper precautions
and or have some one else do it. It only creates dust by cutting and ripping.
Once installed and after clean up it is safe.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What goes in your house may not be good for van

Yes that was GuyT. It got him big time. If you take the proper precautions
and or have some one else do it. It only creates dust by cutting and ripping.
Once installed and after clean up it is safe.
Uncubed,

Products that are designed for your house may not be so good for our vans. INFACT products that are designed for house and commercial construction are more often than not proven after many years of use to be a very bad horrible no good idea in the long run. I would not personally be confident to recommend very many of todays house and commercial grade materials for our PM.

Our PM's are an eco system until themselves.... They bump, shake, rattle, and roll;). I've installed a lot of Roxul in my construction days and I can tell you that the stuff is toxic to breathe, touch etc. Yes during the install if you get all hazmat suited out its all cool. Once installed though, if you you don't isolate the Roxul from the interior space it will work its way back into your air space. The fibres are so small that any amount of vibration will send it into the PM's small enclosed space; and you will breath it.

When Roxul (or any other insulation) is installed you almost always need to resize it and that sets up the never ending cycle of dust production. Its been my experience that what can happen will happen or in my current business we say "never say never".

Cheers,

dave

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Works probably good in a house, but it a van?

With the vibration, there is no doubt in my head that tiny particles will disintegrate and find it's way in the air and in your lungs. My personal advice is: stay away from this product, worst mistake I did during my van conversion.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
t
Uncubed,

Products that are designed for your house may not be so good for our vans. INFACT products that are designed for house and commercial construction are more often than not proven after many years of use to be a very bad horrible no good idea in the long run. I would not personally be confident to recommend very many of todays house and commercial grade materials for our PM.

Our PM's are an eco system until themselves.... They bump, shake, rattle, and roll;). I've installed a lot of Roxul in my construction days and I can tell you that the stuff is toxic to breathe, touch etc. Yes during the install if you get all hazmat suited out its all cool. Once installed though, if you you don't isolate the Roxul from the interior space it will work its way back into your air space. The fibres are so small that any amount of vibration will send it into the PM's small enclosed space; and you will breath it.

When Roxul (or any other insulation) is installed you almost always need to resize it and that sets up the never ending cycle of dust production. Its been my experience that what can happen will happen or in my current business we say "never say never".

Cheers,

dave
Didn't see your post before I posted mine. You eloquently said it all, way finer than I did.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Yes I totally understand and agree. The Batts fit perfectly in the bottom sections of the van. Will not work
for upper and ceiling (to thick). The bump rattle and roll is true.Fibre glass insulation has been used for
years on end in the RV world, Roxul would be better in my opinion because of condensation.
Anyways you guys make good points and in my opinion there is no issues after install.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes I totally understand and agree. The Batts fit perfectly in the bottom sections of the van. Will not work
for upper and ceiling (to thick). The bump rattle and roll is true.Fibre glass insulation has been used for
years on end in the RV world, Roxul would be better in my opinion because of condensation.
Anyways you guys make good points and in my opinion there is no issues after install.
+1 I have used it for the side uppers as well. Just thinned it out. No issues here. I'm sure thinsulate is better tho.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts