Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

We now have available from our supplier Rostra the 250-8407-PRO backup camera kit that will connect to the factory UConnect radio with the 5" screen on 2014 & 2015 Pro Master vans.

This is a complete kit that includes the camera that mounts between the 3rd brakelight and the body (you remove the 3rd brake light, install the camera & then reinstall the 3rd brakelight), and it will work on vans that have the factory 8 pin camera wiring harness at the back of the vehicle and also ones that do not have any camera prewiring in place. For these vans, the kit also includes a camera power & video harness that will be long enough to reach from the camera to the radio, and it also includes an adapter harness that gets added to the factory radio connector. Instructions & installation hardware are included as well, and the camera comes with a 3 year / 36k mile warranty.

To see pix of the kit, check out our ebay listing...however don't buy from there, as we can offer a better deal for direct purchases. Here's the listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151567871436

If you would like to purchase from us directly, your price is $210 including shipping & insurance. If you're in Michigan, 6% sales tax would be additional. To purchase the kit we can send you an invoice thru Paypal, and you can pay it with either a Paypal account or with a major credit card - either way works just fine.

Please contact me directly at [email protected] if you would like to purchase a kit.

Thank you!
Bob Prim
Bob's Automotive Mirrors & More LLC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a quick update on the kit - dealer activation is required, as the UConnect 5.0 radios by default do not have the backup camera display option activated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is it same factory camera ? I hate factory camera fish eye type view. I find that I rarely use it . In my ford pickup I use it and hardly use my mirrors....if it gave more of a real view I might buy the kit just doe the camera.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The vast majority of backup cameras have that "fish-eye" look to the image. It's the nature of these types of cameras - in order to get a wide field of view to make the camera useful enough to see more than just a narrow space behind the vehicle, the camera lens needs to have a decent curvature so as to be able to view more space behind the vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
The picture does not seem near fish eyed as the one showing in your pic. Maybe I am just to use to my ford f 350 diesel camera . I guess if it has a draw back it pretty much only shows what is directly behind the truck . Where the ram almost gives 180 degree view.... So does your camera have a narrower view? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The camera, according to Rostra, has a 160 degree field of view. Typically most cameras will have anywhere from about 130 to 170 degrees field of view, with most that we've dealt with right around 150 to 160 - this seems to be a good "middle-of-the-road" field of view to where it shows a decent amount of area behind the vehicle without it being too distorted.

Regards,
Bob Prim

·
Registered
81 Posts
It is interesting that an aftermarket product is better than that giant black box back up camera from the factory. The modified factory unit with the back up light done by bulldogneon is also better than the factory unit. Not sure what FCA engineers were smoking when they designed the back up camera?

·
Registered
2 Posts
it works

I ordered the Rostra kit from Bob last Monday and it arrived Thursday. I installed the camera and located the plug in above the rear doors, but was waiting for an appointment at the dealer today (Tuesday). Just had the dealer "program" my promaster to see the camera, plugged in the camera at the rear connector and it worked. Just that easy.
Why the dealer ever ordered a Promaster with a Uconnect 5.0 radio but no backup camera, I will never know. Why Ram doesn't offer the backup camera as an dealer add-on, I will never understand. I am glad that Rostra has come up with the answer. Gotta love the aftermarket.

·
Registered
46 Posts
did the dealer charge you

I ordered the Rostra kit from Bob last Monday and it arrived Thursday. I installed the camera and located the plug in above the rear doors, but was waiting for an appointment at the dealer today (Tuesday). Just had the dealer "program" my promaster to see the camera, plugged in the camera at the rear connector and it worked. Just that easy.
Why the dealer ever ordered a Promaster with a Uconnect 5.0 radio but no backup camera, I will never know. Why Ram doesn't offer the backup camera as an dealer add-on, I will never understand. I am glad that Rostra has come up with the answer. Gotta love the aftermarket.
Did the dealer charge you to enable (program) the camera?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I got the Rostra camera and like it alot. Very easy to install.

When I brought it to the dealer to do the computer activation they just about had a heart attack. (By the way, they quoted me well over $800 for a factory backup cam.) They said I needed to sign a waiver releasing any future warranty claims because by activating this after market camera I might blow up the entire rig.

I signed it. They activated the camera. It worked great and has kept me from crashing into things.

I find the wide angle view to be just right. I haven't seen the factory camera so I don't have anything to compare it to.

And, I agree......It's insane that these vehicles were ever sold without a backup camera....especially ones without rear windows like mine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
connect to radio?

Did you have to plug in the connector to the radio too or was it already plugged in?

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
I wonder about the programing. Does the dealer have exclusive access to doing this with some proprietary programing computer or other hardware? Is there an aftermarket device to do this? What are folks paying to get such things done?

I think having to sign a wavier for turning on the back up camera, no mater what is installed is bunk. Presumably the circuit is protected by fusing or sensors going to the van's computer

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wonder about the programing. Does the dealer have exclusive access to doing this with some proprietary programing computer or other hardware? Is there an aftermarket device to do this? What are folks paying to get such things done?

I think having to sign a wavier for turning on the back up camera, no mater what is installed is bunk. Presumably the circuit is protected by fusing or sensors going to the van's computer
As far as I know, yes, the dealer has to do the programming. It took less than 5 minutes. They charged me $80. They don't treat me very well most likely because I didn't buy my van from them. I don't like to bring it in for service because of the attitude they have.

I agree about the waiver. Bush league move.

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
This is a prime example why anyone purchasing a new Promaster should negotiate in their purchase contract that the dealer shall perform any computer modifications and/or updates for no charge. $80 to turn a camera on is unconscionable!
I would hope the interface and a programming application will come available to the owners. This has happened for many other proprietary and industry computer interfaces. We all remember a time when reading a code and resetting the OBBII cost $85 and now a reader-reset interface is $10-$39. BMW motorcycles have a GS911 to get access to the computer. Others must exist. An Android or iPhone app and a bluetooth interface would be nice. Wonks needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can also get this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NA71QRE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, you must figure out the wiring setup since they do not include a connector.

mrpersnickety could you tell me which pins the Rostra system is using. The preinstalled wiring has both a Camera Return (White actually it looks clear to me) and a Camera shield wire (Black). Most cameras only have two wires running to them. So I wondered what Rostra did.

I installed my and used the Camera shield since that is what most cameras have but would very much like to know about the Rostra. Have not made it to the dealer yet so the BLU/Lt GRN wire does not give me power yet. I am thinking I could just wire the camera to the backup light and not have to mess with the dealer. But probably there is something else that the dealer turns on in the radio.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
10 Participants
BlackieHunter
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing