Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Not on a Promaster, but I did install one on my Dodge Ram. It worked for about 8 months then the switch failed. All you get (for the Ram at least) is a switch and about a foot of wire. I sent the unit back after it failed, and was able to buy the OEM switch and wire for less than $30.

I'd be surprised if the Promaster wasn't already wired for cruise control. Disconnect your battery, wait long enough for the air bag capacitors to drain, then pull your steering wheel and look inside. I'm going to bet that there is a knockout area for the cruise switch, a place made to attach it, and then a few blank pins in the connector for the clock spring inside the wheel, behind the air bag, where the cruise switch gets wired. On the microfiche for my Ram, there were four different wiring harnesses for inside the steering wheel. There was horn switch with cruise, horn switch without cruise, horn switch with cruise with audio controls, horn switch without cruise with radio controls. I ordered the proper wire, and it was all plug and play in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback.

I believe this is an entire kit with the power/controller adaptors, etc. Normally I'd tackle something like this myself, but a local stereo shop I use said they would install it for $100.

Perhaps the dealer can answer the question about how hard it would be to install/enable the factory cruise option (if there is one).

The dealership parts dept acts like this is a vehicle completely foreign to them. Their parts manager basically told me if something didn't come with the van as a factory option you are out of luck. (in regards to wheels, park sensors, camera, etc.)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The factory cruise control buttons are supposedly on the steering wheel so adding factory cruise control is probably out.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Mine has factory cruise control. Nothing on the steering wheel. It's on the column, left side, below the turn signals. (Cheap non-unconnected radio version)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Too bad it wasn't steering wheel mounted. One thing they should do is make it more car like in some ways that are appropriate.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just curious, do you know what the factory CC option cost you?

It might make this aftermarket unit more palatable. I can't find pricing for it anywhere online.

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I'll go with the Rosta because getting the factory part would be too much of pain and not work any better. Sucks that it costs $400 after install though.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I guess I'll go with the Rosta because getting the factory part would be too much of pain and not work any better. Sucks that it costs $400 after install though.
Have you done this yet? I'm curious to know what was in the Rostra kit. When I bought the kit for my Ram 1500 I was told it would have all the mounts, controllers, adapters, etc. and all I got was a switch and two feet of wire.

Even in my very basic Ram 1500, with manual windows, manual door locks, and vinyl seats, the pre-wiring was already installed for cruise control.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have it here on my desk but have been working ten hour days and haven't had a chance.

The package looks great. All modular and snap-in-line pieces, no tinned ends sticking out.

It really looks like it is specifically designed for the PM all right. Wait, the controller arm itself ends with bare wires going to socket-type mini plugs.

I'll probably take it to the stereo shop and have them do it, and stick to what I know. Unfortunately, most stereo shops are into one thing - selling stereos. It never is easy to find a small shop for tasks like this (in Portland OR anyway).

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
I have it here on my desk but have been working ten hour days and haven't had a chance.

The package looks great. All modular and snap-in-line pieces, no tinned ends sticking out.

It really looks like it is specifically designed for the PM all right. Wait, the controller arm itself ends with bare wires going to socket-type mini plugs.

I'll probably take it to the stereo shop and have them do it, and stick to what I know. Unfortunately, most stereo shops are into one thing - selling stereos. It never is easy to find a small shop for tasks like this (in Portland OR anyway).
So, how did the install go? Please provide some feedback. Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well I finally have the Rosta installed. It does everything it should - looks like a factory piece etc.

One thing I really like is the ability to leave it on all the time (turns on automatically with the key).

Had Car Toys install it - $200. Rosta says 2-3 hours for install - I am a phone guy, rather stick to what I know.

So, cost of unit $260 (Ebay) + $200 = $460 vs factory option at $280.00

From what I've seen, most don't have CC installed as a factory option.

Well worth adding - who can live without cruise control? Just one ticket and it pays for itself - long highway drives so much more enjoyable.

I don't see any on Ebay right now, but this was the seller:

http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com/search.php?search_query=promaster

Product Description

The 250-9642 cruise control kit is for the all new 2014-2015 Dodge ProMaster. Everything you need to upgrade to cruise control. Step by step instructions included. 3 year warranty on all parts. Please call with any questions regarding this application.

I am sure anyone that can install a car stereo can install this also. Looks all modular - I just let go of my 'control freak' side and let someone else do an install for once.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I Rosta, do you Rosta?

I did the Rosta system and bought it from the cruise control store as well. I have ordered and installed many of the Cruise Control Stores, systems. They have a good warranty and back their product up well. The system for the PM is plug and play mostly, accept for the ignition power wire, which requires a little bit of steering column panel disassembly but nothing major. It can be done in an hour or so. From what you said the stereo shop charged, I need to raise my prices!:laugh: Burt is right about the OE factory cruise unit being a pain to inquire with the dealer about. The parts guy's wade through the Promaster parts screens with lack of confidence that's less than reassuring to me anyway. When I had them check they claimed it was almost $600 dollars. I ordered and installed the Rosta within two weeks of owning my PM. The good thing is it mounts where the OE originally goes, so it looks like it should be there. As I was getting my PM recalls done, none of the techs questioned or mentioned the aftermarket addition.

I concur; Rosta system good, buy with confidence.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just Installed Rosta Cruise Control

Just purchased a PM 2500 a couple of weeks ago and mine didnt have cruise control so I purchased the Rostra kit from Kartronix on Ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/251604696142

As a former Audio/Video Integrator I had confidence going into installing this and it was overall pretty easy. The most difficult part is soldering the red wire to the ignition switch. So if you know how to solder, this kit is completely do-able. If you dont, find a friend who does. My dealership was going to charge me $400 and half a day to install. Took me a little over an hour of my time plus a couple of beers.

I have attached some photos, sorry I forgot to take pictures of the ignition wire location. The plastic steering wheel shroud is a pain to get back on and I already have it back in place. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the pictures,
I just ordered the rostra unit,
Any tips on how to get off the shroud and finding the ignition wire would be appreciated
Can I just splice into the wire ? Easier to solder a couple of wires than a circuit board or gang plug.
My pm had the uconnect radio and I just picked up a discontinued Garmin for a 100 dollar basic GPS, after getting lost twice ,trying to cross the St Lawrence going through Québec city, it will be a blessing of an option.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Thanks, lots of good info here!

I looked at the installation "manual". Looks like a bunch of pictures, not much text.

It seems to indicate that the red wire is connected to the blue/red at the ignition switch. I would think a "3M crimp on suitcase connector" would work as well as the soldering thing. They don't seem to show where to solder it.

Additional thoughts?

It's on my "to buy" list!

Ed

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm suprised to see that we can't just connect a set of wire directelly on a oem harness to add CC and need to add there control module?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts