Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally took our first long trip through Canada with the nearly fully functional van. Everyone's help to get her to this point really is appreciated.

Small question. What do you use to manage the wires coming off of the solar panels prior to porting them through the roof? I used the small self stick squares that you can zip tie the cabling too and more than half of them came off enroute. Is there a weather resistant tape? I prefer to attach to the underside of the panels rather than the roof.

as always, any guidance is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
Yea they will. Others have tried them to the same result. I used cable clips and self tapping screws to attache them to the panels aluminum flanges and some water pipe insulation to keep them from slapping the roof.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Interested in this as well. I'll be using 3M Dual Lock to fix flexible panels to my roof. Need to invent a way to use the dual lock to hold the cables now.

·
Super Moderator
10,542 Posts
RD is correct. I used the stick on cable sqs also and they lasted a few months at best - use cable clips with self tapping screws thru the panel side. You might try putting 3M tape on the cable sqs but I wouldn't even bother.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good suggestions guys but I don't think I'll be able to completely control the cabling that way, or at least without removing the panels. They are mounted On the rack about 4 inches off the roof, and butted right up against each other. I could get a few mounts on the outside edge of the pair but most of my challenges are underneath. There's gotta be something to attach the wire to the bottom side of the panels. I can reach underneath and wipe or even roughen the surface a bit for better adhesion. I'm thinking like a thick tape sorta like that oily cloth electrical tape. It won't be in direct sun.

any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
Buy the big foam insulation for water pipe and cover the wires. They are then quiet and it tends to keep them from moving about as it is stiff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts