Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found an attractive roof rack for the Promaster? I am looking for something like a Yakima or Thule. Not sure that they make something that attaches to the factory studs on the roof of the Promaster. Everything I can find is more contractor type. AluRack is nice, but expensive.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Thule has something for sale in Europe but I don't think they've brought it over here yet. I recall somebody did buy a set and have it shipped here?

Look at VanTech's H3 racks.

http://vantech.us/RAM-Promaster-H3_c159.htm

http://www.eurocampers.com/Dodge-ProMaster-H3-Style-Aluminum-Roof-Rack-Systems_c_573.html

Eurocampers doesn't carry many of the accessories for them so you will probably have to get them from VanTech themselves. Hunt through their catalog for them... They haven't really made it easy to find but they're there.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Recently talked to a few guys from Thule at a trade show and they are working on making racks for all the new vans, as it is a growing market in the states. He said maybe they will be ready in half a year, but he wasnt sure on that. Would love to have Thule racks on my rig!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Has anyone found an attractive roof rack for the Promaster? I am looking for something like a Yakima or Thule. Not sure that they make something that attaches to the factory studs on the roof of the Promaster. Everything I can find is more contractor type. AluRack is nice, but expensive.
Van techs are the way to go! Easy to install, look awesome and for around $400 you can get three! I am very sure that Thule and Yakima will be a few hundred more.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the Fiamma rack too and like it a lot. I wanted a rack that had rails along the sides and rear, made for the ProMaster mounts. Fiamma meets those with bonus of good looks and probably more aerodynamic than contractor-type ladder racks.

Doc, where did you get the airfoil piece mounted in front of your solar panel? I'd like to get one. My solar panel is mounted farther back, so wouldn't need a cutout for the antenna.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought the Alurack by Prime Design. I have the 159" wheelbase. The rack is 12' long by 6' wide. I think it has 9 cross bars - roughly every 17"; and a roller bar on the end. It connects to all 6 connection points/bolts. Really sturdy. I have a pod on top now (for chairs, kids bikes, random stuff); and then I run 14' long paddle boards down one side. I plan to put a 100 or 150 kW solar panel in front of the pod - it should just fit (for sure a 100 kW).

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought the Alurack by Prime Design. I have the 159" wheelbase. The rack is 12' long by 6' wide. I think it has 9 cross bars - roughly every 17"; and a roller bar on the end. It connects to all 6 connection points/bolts. Really sturdy. I have a pod on top now (for chairs, kids bikes, random stuff); and then I run 14' long paddle boards down one side. I plan to put a 100 or 150 kW solar panel in front of the pod - it should just fit (for sure a 100 kW).
Could you give me a ballpark of what the basic rack and ladder cost you

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks great. I think it is a good system; my only concern is the height above the roof. I have the low roof van and only have 9 inches of clearance left in my garage. It looks like it stands a foot above the roof.

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts
Thule definitely makes one. It's available from Europe without a doubt but I think it's also in the USA catalogue. You have to buy the Ducatto specific mounts for the studs and then the type of bars you want. I would think most if not all of the accessories will fit on the mounts once you find them. Google is your friend. I once had the correct Thule mount numbers but decided against a roof rack so I trashed them I think.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,480 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Looks stout. Can/will it accommodate an awning? I like this type of design better than the VanTech racks, but if I can't connect an awning to it then its a no go.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Who did you purchase from?

·
Registered
604 Posts
It looks great. I think it is a good system; my only concern is the height above the roof. I have the low roof van and only have 9 inches of clearance left in my garage. It looks like it stands a foot above the roof.
9"? Most of these look like they might eat up every bit of room you have and more? The Fiamma system looks pretty low profile though.

If I recall, my VanTech rack is right at 6". I could measure that for you if you're looking at that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Could you give me a ballpark of what the basic rack and ladder cost you
fosterf - total was ~$1000 for rack. I found a local utility rack company that would have fabricated a similar size steel rack for ~$850. Then looks like those H3 & Topper racks are about 1/2 the cost. Alurack was definitely the most expensive - but a few things I liked were: aluminum & light, big at 12' by 6' (I think the Fiamma is narrower). I wanted as big as possible and kind of beefy. Plus a lot of cross bars - so easy to mount things like solar panels.

If you can find a way to mount a long track with slot going lengthwise into the nut heads, then that could open up a lot of flexibility in getting cross bars. The alu rack essentially has lengthwise track and then the rack sits on top of that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
motorsailor - not sure if you are referring to my alurack or other - but the alurack does sit pretty high off van. Offhand, I would say with vertical side rails, around 6"-7", maybe a bit higher. I don't think 9", but I could be wrong!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks stout. Can/will it accommodate an awning? I like this type of design better than the VanTech racks, but if I can't connect an awning to it then its a no go.
Allhandsondeck - I'd like to know as well! I think it can work, but I probably need a special mount fabricated to hold the fiamma awning. The mount can probably tie into the lengthwise track that sits on the roof bolt attachments - kind of an L bracket or an 'S' like bracket. It might be able to mount to side vertical rails, but I think maybe too much leverage on those.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts