Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dealer to find about getting a stock looking roof rack for my van. As an Electrical contractor, I didn't want the typical industrial looking adrian steel racks for $800. I seldom put anything more than an 8' ladder up there and possibly some pipe. Light duty is perfect for my needs. The dealer had a Thule rack he could have ordered in at about $500. I went on Ebay and found a UK seller that had exactly what I was looking for. $300 and four days later, I received the new roof rack. It installed very easily, exceeded my expectations and most of all, is very strong for my needs.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Ed!
I am very happy with this vehicle. Aside from my 6.0 litre fully optioned out Savana van I bought new in '08, this is my favorite of vans in terms of power, handling and appearance. Go figure... A contractor that cares about appearance!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you have a link to the ebay seller and/or item? Did mounting use the existing pins like the non-city Promasters have, or some other method?
Looks really good.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yesterday I was following a red ProMaster City with PA plates (in NC). The racks looked almost identical to those. Side rails were the same, but crossbar clamped on a little bulkier. Guy had fishing poles in the back.

It looked good. The guy was flying. I struggled to catch up and get a better look.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wow,that roofrack looks great,and looks factory...nice clean job.Your really getting into your pmc and making it yours.:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
What is the overall height after you put on your rack? What's the height with the 8' ladder? My service area deals with a lot of parking garages and I'm looking for a low profile rack, your's looks superb.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I already have a big investment in Yakima rack fittings. I was able to use two sets of the Yakima Bolt Top Loaders on the fore and aft sets of mount points. The spacing of the Bolt Top Loaders amazingly lines up with the existing mount points. The loaders are punched for carriage bolts (square holes) so I improvised with 6M-1.0x25mm hex top bolts and hardened washers. I used medium loctite and torqued the bolts to 7Nm (the average between the Thule and Toys4Vans instructions for mounting their racks to the Fiat Doblo).

I have Yakima rain gutter-style towers and the aero-style "Q" towers with Q41 clips. Both fit well and securely. (The "Q" towers are about 1.5" shorter than the rain gutter towers.)

·
Registered
46 Posts
The rack used the factory mounting points on the roof. No drilling or even silicone needed. Hardware was included. The crossbars are sold separately.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALUMINIUM-ROOF-RACK-RAILS-SIDE-BARS-SET-FOR-RAM-PROMASTER-CITY-2015-LWB-/191497543986?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c9624a132&vxp=mtr

After a trip to REI to check out Thule and Yakima rack options, I just ordered these but in the black aluminum. The REI guy recommended getting racks like these for more options with crossbar placement and strength. Turns out the seller has several PMC accessories that look pretty cool. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
This thread makes me very happy!!! Thank you for sharing! I have been on the fence about these racks, because the ebay listing only showed the Doblo, and no real pictures of it installed on an actual PMC! Now I know what it looks like, and I am all in! Thank you so much ChandlerAZman!

·
Registered
46 Posts
You are right, SudioX, t's a true find! And funny or odd or ironic that us PMCers have to order accessories from England. Perhaps as they become more popular as personal vehicles items will become available outside Moparland. I was surprised (though I admit I'm green in this arena) that I couldn't just get the same racks through Thule or any of their distributors.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My racks arrived! They fit and look great. With some seal epoxy they went on swift and clean. The only thing I noticed is that there is only one screw per section - so three for each side. Wish there were two per to go with the holes on the roof.

Now for the crossbars.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mine came with the racks,and two Thule crossbars.I have little to no need for the roof rack,but it is what it is.I still have the crossbars in plastic in my storage shed.When I trade it in,it will be complete.BTW,those crossbars are very substantial.I was surprised,and they also have built in key locks.Whoda thunk it ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
My racks arrived! They fit and look great. With some seal epoxy they went on swift and clean. The only thing I noticed is that there is only one screw per section - so three for each side. Wish there were two per to go with the holes on the roof.

Now for the crossbars.

Nice one, Girl!!! The Black version looks good, too!
I just placed my order today...got the brushed...shipping to Hawaii gonna take a bit longer, but I paid only $46 and some change...hopefully by the 21-22nd. That is an awesome shipping rate for me! Shipping to Hawaii is usually so ridiculously expensive, I expected it to be in the hundreds!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine came with the racks,and two Thule crossbars.I have little to no need for the roof rack,but it is what it is.I still have the crossbars in plastic in my storage shed.When I trade it in,it will be complete.BTW,those crossbars are very substantial.I was surprised,and they also have built in key locks.Whoda thunk it ;)

I went to REI and got Thule Aero blade 60" and Rapid Crossroad crossbars over the Yakima ones though they are so similar it doesn't really matter which ones you get. I'm glad I didn't get the Mopar Thule version because they're fixed. The rails make it easier to move the cross bars around to stabilize whatever I'm putting on there. I wish I could order just ONE cross bar to make three on top if needed. But either way, I'm happy with the final roof look and function. (And thanks to StudioX for the response! That's SUPER cheap shipping to Hawai'i! My shipment arrived quickly - hope yours does too!)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Roof racks came in and finally got a chance to post some pics! Shipping was way faster than expected...ordered on 13th, at my door on 18th, total of $260 and some change for the whole set! The cutting of the cross bars was the most time consuming, especially when the hacksaw I was using couldn't cut butter...installation time...3 hours across 2 days (because I had to get a new hacksaw blade!) They look low profile and sleek, molds well with the color scheme and all, and fits what I wanted. Already used it to transport some 4x8 plywood panels without any issues! Wind noise on freeway is substantially louder now, and I have no idea of affects to mileage yet, if any. Will monitor and see.
Thanks again for sharing, ChandlerAZman!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here are images to show the Yakima Bolt-Top loaders on my PMC as described in my post of 09-30-2015. Initially I used hex-head bolts (6M-1.0x25mm), but I found the bolt heads prevented the Yakima Q-Towers from resting firmly on the loader plates, so I changed out the hex-head bolts for button tops and these allow the Q-Towers to sit better on the loaders. I also used shorter bolts as I reduced the number of washers. The specs now are 6M-1.0x20mm torqued to 7Nm with medium Loctite.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts