Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My major consideration for a roof rack on the ProMaster City van was garage door clearance.
Very few roof racks are short enough to fit into my standard garage.

I found this Van Tech roof rack J1547 for $240 and it listed an overall height good enough for my garage.

It is a well constructed, heavy duty roof rack with a few minor design flaws that aren't show stoppers.

It is advertised as a custom fit for the PMCity van, and it almost is. The bolt holes do line up correctly, and the middle bar has the correct narrower bracket width for the single roof hole while the outer bars have the double holes to match the van.

My kit was missing two foam gaskets for the third bar.
The minor design flaws are:
1) Foam gasket material should have been solid rubber to protect van roof paint better.
2) Bolts for roof are about 1/8"+ too long. Had to add washers as spacers to tighten down the brackets.
3) Bracket widths are a bit too wide, they can hit the van roof top before sitting down into the van roof recess meant for the brackets.
4) The brackets are bent at exactly 90 degrees for each flange (flanges are parallel). The van roof is not parallel so the brackets are at an angle with the cross bar when tightened down. This makes the installation a bit more involved, the angle difference interferes with aligning everything.

But I did get it installed and it does what I need, fit into the garage. They list a height of 2 3/4" for this system. I measure 3 1/2" actual. Still good enough for my clearance.

The cross bars have T-slots top and bottom for attaching all kinds of accessory brackets. I want the end plates for the cross bars they offer to stop side shifting of items but they are 4" tall and won't fit into my garage. So I'll make my own shorter ones.

Overall it is a heavy duty system, looks great, and fits my needs. They could have a perfect design by attending to the minor design problems.

Alan

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
This one would not work for me. I need a factory fit. This is not quite it. My area is to wet for this mount hardware quality. I have seen these on eBay, now I have crossed it off my list. Thanks for the review. R

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for your informative review, I'm looking at the same rack for the same Promaster City.
The information I can't find anywhere is whether the cross bars all end up in a flat plane after installation. I'm wondering if a long ladder placed on this rack will lay on all three bars, or will it top out on the center bar? I can deal with the other inconveniences, but I really want the rack to end up flat!
Thanks again for sharing your experience! -Q.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Bolt on?

I do not (yet) own a PMC. Ones with OEM roof rails are scarce. Do these after market racks just bolt into place, no need to remove headliner ( passenger version) or do anything inside the vehicle?? I assume there are threaded mounts on the roof under some sort of cover that you remove and then just bolt these in place?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the roof already has tapped holes for any kind of roof mount from original to aftermarket.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine are after market and they fit perfect. Found mine on Ebay. Paid $119.00 w/free shipping. Bought the cross rails from Ebay also. They clamp on w/a key lock/screw action. Has a rubber boot that covers key hole nicely. You can set them anywhere on the rails for whatever you are hauling. Haven't had a problem yet.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The Van Tech roof rack on mine looks to be installed without any mis-alignments. The two rings on the ladder strap they provide are rusted out, I can't believe they don't use SS. The ladder guide clipped a 6'8" sign at a garage, not good, I had to park in a loading dock.

·
Registered
2020 RAM Promaster City Tradesman Cargo named I,VAN Mullet.
13 Posts
Nice write up and thanks for the pictures OP.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am also cautious of the overall height of the PMC. If height were not a problem, I would have gone with a full size, high, short-wheelbase Sprinter or Transit and put the stuff inside the van. I have the PMC OEM roof rails. I believe these are actually made by Thule? You can buy these separately.

Genuine Mopar Roof Side Rails

Part Number: 6AL87U0FAA

These can be found at around $275. Keep in mind, as a Thule rail, these integrate with Thule accessories.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine are after market and they fit perfect. Found mine on Ebay. Paid $119.00 w/free shipping. Bought the cross rails from Ebay also. They clamp on w/a key lock/screw action. Has a rubber boot that covers key hole nicely. You can set them anywhere on the rails for whatever you are hauling. Haven't had a problem yet.
Do you have the eBay link handy?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts