1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
9,041 Posts
There are other far cheaper rack systems for the Promaster that will accomplish what you want/need.

I've forgotten the brand name of the one most people seem to use, at the moment, but a quick search here will bring it up if you're interested.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm planning on using some aluminum 80/20 for crossbars and get some vertical mounts
from Hein. I'm only building them to hold 2-3 solar panels.

·
Super Moderator
9,041 Posts
I think I'm just going to make up some L brackets from aluminum stock and glue them to the roof. Clean, easy, and cheap!

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
I think I'm just going to make up some L brackets from aluminum stock and glue them to the roof. Clean, easy, and cheap!
Like these? [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Panel-Mount-Mounting-Bracket/dp/B00NEZ8CJO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1424473857&sr=8-7&keywords=solar+mounting+kit[/ame]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The main reason I chose the Aluminess rack and not the H3 system is I wanted a basket and not just the bars. There is also a cutout for my fan.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used to have a home made Sportsmobile and since I'm in San Diego I had them make a custom roof rack and ladder. Yes they are expensive but amazing quality and workmanship. It was all aluminum with matte black powder coat. It ran the length of my entire van and often we used it as an upper deck to watch the waves or we used it as storage for bicycles, gas cans etc.

I think Im going to have them custom make a roof rack for new PM with voids for the vents to open and close.

They have tones of customizable options.

And yes that's Rhino liner sprayed on the side of my old van. Thinking of maybe doing it to my PM but not as high up.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,041 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used to have a home made Sportsmobile and since I'm in San Diego I had them make a custom roof rack and ladder. Yes they are expensive but amazing quality and workmanship. It was all aluminum with matte black powder coat. It ran the length of my entire van and often we used it as an upper deck to watch the waves or we used it as storage for bicycles, gas cans etc.

I think Im going to have them custom make a roof rack for new PM with voids for the vents to open and close.

They have tones of customizable options.

And yes that's Rhino liner sprayed on the side of my old van. Thinking of maybe doing it to my PM but not as high up.
Thats what I am going for as well. Glad to hear that you liked their rack. I am going to have them install a surf board hook on the side as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I ordered my custom roof rack today from Aluminess. It will be ready in 7 weeks. Originally I was going to have it only on the back half but decided to go the full length of my extended PM. They're leaving voids for my two vents and AC. I also ordered a side ladder. The floor is going to be black powder coated diamond plate. Total weight 170 pounds. The price for these roof racks are quite
high but I figured I'm going to be putting around $20K into my PM and I want to splurge
on the good stuff and get it just the way I want it otherwise I could have spent
$90k on a factory production Winnebago PM

I took a photo of their
mounting bracket for attaching things to the roof. People seem to have a hard time finding these. Not to difficult to fabricate on your own.

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
I took a photo of their mounting bracket for attaching things to the roof. People seem to have a hard time finding these. Not to difficult to fabricate on your own.
The stainless piece looks pretty close to what VanTech uses on their racks.

I hope they pad that aluminum really well were it comes in contact with the roof or you'll have a serious paint and rust problem. But looking at their work I'd say they probably have that taken care of - looks like they do seriously nice work.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The stainless piece looks pretty close to what VanTech uses on their racks.

I hope they pad that aluminum really well were it comes in contact with the roof or you'll have a serious paint and rust problem. But looking at their work I'd say they probably have that taken care of - looks like they do seriously nice work.
OH yeah they do extremely good work. I go there and drool at the dozens of racks, bumpers, boxes and other custom items that are in different stages of completion.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am scheduled for an April 6th install. I am still trying to decide if I want the slates or a solid floor. Not sure how much I will be up there walking around.

·
Registered
69 Posts
On my extended Econoline I ordered it with expanded aluminum. It stretched when I stepped on it so I ended up putting plywood over it.

This time I went with the solid floor. When hanging out you can take a couple of beach chairs up there. Slats. make that tricky.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Observation re: rack mounting

I noticed, water pools in the mounting pin areas of the the roof depending on the slope. I replaced all the stove bolts in the mounts with stainless, as they would eventually rust out if you live in wet areas.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I developed some tower brackets for our Sprinter and now offer them for sale as a kit for other DIY van builders. With someone's help I'd like to see if these will work on the ProMaster vans.
It'll be a couple months yet, but I plan on checking in with you regarding using those mounts on the PM.

Good chance we'll be getting a Fiamma awning eventually, was thinking of going with their whole rack setup, but its a bit much, visually. Looking at using mounts like yours with 80/20 crossbars for the solar panels.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts