Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a relatively new owner of a 2019 extended ProMaster 3500 with a high roof. My goal is to convert it for family travel. I bought a Van Tech 12’ roof rack (H2) with the idea of attaching solar panels to the front section and hopefully putting up decking towards the rear that way it can be used for storage or as a lounge area too.

Heres the problem: it’s about 3 inches too short in length! The extended 3500 has 5 anchor points on either side and I put the front section (of the roof rack) together first to space out where solar would end so I could put my roof vent in. That was 2 days ago. Seemed fine. Yesterday I added the last section and it doesn’t “reach” the anchor point that furthest back. Yes the front section is “as far back as I could go”. Anyone have this problem or know of a solution??

i do have the option of moving the rear support forward to the next factory anchor points But that would leave approx 2’ of “unsupported” roof rack behind it! I don’t like this option because it’ll be the most used section where the ladder is and where we’ll likely have the most weight (people, storage, etc). Also sliding the entire roof rack back (& off of the forward-most) anchor isn‘t a good solution because the gap at the front (between anchors) is probably close to 4’!!

Help

Sorry I’m a noob to this place and can’t figure out how to rotate pic but I included one to show the problem.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,867 Posts
Rotating images has nothing to do with the site it’s a function of your camera (iPhone I presume) this is a well known Apple problem. The solution is very easy, before uploading it simply open it in a non-Apple photo app and save it then upload it. You can simply drag & drop or cut & paste to add photos to your message.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have the Vantech H3 which does not have the side rails, so I don't have any experience with the H2. However the Vantech site lists the H2 side rails for the 159 EXT as 157.5 inches and the side rails for the 159 Non-Extended as 141.75 inches. You say you bought a 12 foot system. Is it possible that you bought the model for the 159 instead of the 159 EXT? If so, then you can check with Vantech about exchanging the side rails for the longer one designed for the 159 EXT.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Vantech H3 which does not have the side rails, so I don't have any experience with the H2. However the Vantech site lists the H2 side rails for the 159 EXT as 157.5 inches and the side rails for the 159 Non-Extended as 141.75 inches. You say you bought a 12 foot system. Is it possible that you bought the model for the 159 instead of the 159 EXT? If so, then you can check with Vantech about exchanging the side rails for the longer one designed for the 159 EXT.
Wow that is interesting! I bought a 12’ rack and well... figured it would be 12’. Not 141”. I will look into that! Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just checked their site and while I see the 141” mentioned I also found...

”The Vantech H2 aluminum System With 141.75″ Long Cargo Side Rails for the RAM ProMaster Cargo Van 2013-On. It will fit both standard and extended version vans.”

They mention extended! So I didn’t go up top and measure all my anchor points before buying it but how should I have known...?!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Here is the description for the 159EXT model. Also says it will fit both Standard and extended. I guess the shorter one will fit both but not using the full length of the front pin to the rear pin. Sounds like you can get Vantech to just send you the longer rails since their description on the shorter one was misleading.

"The Vantech H2 aluminum System With 157.5″ Long Cargo Side Rails for the RAM ProMaster Cargo Van 2013-On. It will fit both standard and extended version vans. Maximum load capacity is at 750 lbs. for the aluminum system. This H2 Rack System is constructed from extruded aluminum. The cargo rails are 6″ in tall. The mounts are 5.5″. Total height from drip rails is 11.5″. The cargo rail also has a built-in channel to allow additional accessories along the side. Cross bars dimensions are 2.25″ x 1″. Cross bars are also extruded aluminum and has built-in channels on both top and bottom to allow for additional accessories. U-Handles are secured to both front of cargo rails to assist in loading, off loading and reduction of wind noise (Adds a minimum of 4″ to the front of the rack). U-Handles with roller ability is included on the rear of cargo rail to assist on loading and to prevent damage to rear of vehicle (Adds a minimum of 6″ to the rear of the rack)."

As Msnomer pointed out, the roof weight capacity is 150KG or 330 pounds. So you won't be able to use the rack capacity of 750 pounds. as the roof limit is lower.

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,008 Posts
If it can span 4 feet it can cantilever 2 feet, but will deflect more due to flexibility in the backspan.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
660 Posts
If it can span 4 feet it can cantilever 2 feet, but will deflect more due to flexibility in the backspan.
Two 2 ft cantilevers meeting is nowhere near as strong as a 4 ft span of the same material, the flex indicates the weakness. That's why joists and rafters meet over beams and never in the middle of a span.

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,008 Posts
Two 2 ft cantilevers meeting is nowhere near as strong as a 4 ft span of the same material, the flex indicates the weakness. That's why joists and rafters meet over beams and never in the middle of a span.
The moment and shear demand on a uniformly loaded cantilever of length L/2 is the same as a uniformly loaded simply supported beam of length L. A fixed end beam or continuous beam over multiple spans has lower moment demand though.

Flex doesn't indicate weakness, but we do design beams and joists to not flex much in part because the general public gets scared if they see something bending (also for comfort, aesthetics, and to not damage brittle finishes).
Of course there's more to it, mostly related to buckling. I highly doubt local or lateral torsional buckling is a concern for roof rails.

A fixed end cantilever will deflect the same as a simply supported beam, but a cantilever with a backspan has some initial rotation at the support, causing more deflection at the end.

Joists meet over supports because:
- It's much easier to build
- Typical joists have a floor on top, which braces the compression edge of an end supported beam against lateral movement. Ceilings are often hung, and drywall isn't as reliable for bracing anyway, so often the bottom is assumed unbraced between lines of blocking.
- Simple supports are FAR easier than moment connections, so cantilevers would require 2 supports anyway.
- a cantilever with a backspan deflects more, causing more issues with usability and finishes unless sized up

On the other hand, steel beams are often designed to cantilever over supports and be joined a few feet away, because putting the joint at a location of less bending moment reduces deflection and maximum bending moment.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
660 Posts
I can't understand how that could be. I'll have to ask the engineers in the family to make it make sense to me.:unsure:

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,008 Posts
Beam diagrams. The cantilever bending is identical to half the simply supported beam flipped over. If the "fixed connection" for the cantilever is replaced with a pin support and a backspan, the backspan can bend upwards in unloads, causing the whole cantilever to rotate downwards, but the stresses in the cantilever are the same.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Just checked their site and while I see the 141” mentioned I also found...

”The Vantech H2 aluminum System With 141.75″ Long Cargo Side Rails for the RAM ProMaster Cargo Van 2013-On. It will fit both standard and extended version vans.”

They mention extended! So I didn’t go up top and measure all my anchor points before buying it but how should I have known...?!

Brian, So does it still utilize all 10 roof pins? or only 8 of them on your extended?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brian, So does it still utilize all 10 roof pins? or only 8 of them on your extended?
It doesn’t reach all 10. The few inches that I “need” would be to reach the last two. So I can only use 8 right now. I contacted Van Tech for clarification/help but haven’t received a reply. I currently have the rear “floating“ about 20” passed the last anchors I am using.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
FWIW, here is the anchor point spacing for all van lengths. Notice distance #4 is different for the 159 (L4H2) vs. the 159-ext (L5H2).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I must be a dummy... I cannot understand all those figures. BUT... as I stated, Van Tech site is pretty misleading when it says it fits extended cargo. And I need it to fit/reach anchor #5. Either way... no reply from Van Tech (yet). Soooo my roof rack is cantilevered in the rear right now.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I must be a dummy... I cannot understand all those figures. BUT... as I stated, Van Tech site is pretty misleading when it says it fits extended cargo. And I need it to fit/reach anchor #5. Either way... no reply from Van Tech (yet). Soooo my roof rack is cantilevered in the rear right now.
Ya, that is misleading and I can see why you aren't happy! Keep us updated on if they remedy the situation. Hopefully, they will come through. If you do another van, check out our EXT rack - It definitely comes with 10 adaptors!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts