Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 2500 159" diesel
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems there is enough of us here with a roof leak (2015 & older...?) that the Chrysler Dodge service has identified to be a result of bad seam seals between the body panels of the van.

Anyone keen to band together & file some sort of official claim for using a manufacturer part that doesn't hold up and that they won't fix under warranty?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Maybe I am wrong, but the early models I believe were mostly hand built/welded before the factory went to autobot welding? I looked at my van seams from the interior and cant see how they would separate the way some here have. I get it that the sealant may give out but the gaps on the ones shown on these forums seem to be rather large Vs mine. (Metal to Metal)

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Mine is a 2014 built September 2013. I didn’t notice the leak (above rear of slider) until I was fully built out, so no way to examine the seam from the inside. Above, the sealer on the seam had hairline cracks. I used Eternabond.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get a ladder, some Dicor, Sikaflex or Eternabond, and fix it. Spend the time saved enjoying the van. Your blood pressure will appreciate it.
Thanks for the suggestion; I will do the same to avoid the headache/time of re-tacking body panels together.

But it’s more a principal thing - how many of us have to have an issue before Chrysler addresses a known manufacturing flaw? A simple subpoena for the total # of service records from Chrysler Dodge certified shops with the same Seam Sealer failure might be enough to help future PM owners at least.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
FCA is probably more concerned with big ticket items that would cost them fleet contracts, like engine fires. etc.
I have a brand new van and the seam seal is visibly sloppy on the roof. And that's done by a robot.
It's just a matter of a few adjustments and a programming tweak.
But they don'y have that level of quality control in the Mexican assembly plants.
I think you'd be wasting your time on this subject, even if you got a few thousand private owners on board.
If the roof leaks were a big enough issue for someone like the USPS, then maybe it would be addressed. Maybe.

·
Registered
302 Posts
They need to fire robot #4995487 and get a replacement as soon as possible!

I remember test driving a couple of new 14's when they came out. (high roof and low roof and eventually a diesel which didn't impress me with the shifting) My biggest drawback was the sloppy body assembly and alignment of the side panels. There were also many ripples in the stampings. I had a Sprinter at the time and thought to myself that there's simply nothing that can out qualify the sprinter despite its high maintenance and repair costs. Thats changed today with the PM. I would think they can improve upon it more by listening to people on the forum. A nice interior like that offered in Europe would help too.

·
Premium Member
7,775 Posts
Quality has gotten better in my observation. It seems a normal thing to expect. My 2015 has some paint irregularities but the seams are OK.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yeah, I haven't really found too much to complain about yet. Build quality really isn't bad for a cargo van.
But I try to keep that in perspective.
I realize it's a cargo van and don't look at everything under a microscope like I would a $70k luxury vehicle.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Best to do it after the 6 pack kicks in and then do it at dusk. This way you'd best match the original craftsmanship ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They need to fire robot #4995487 and get a replacement as soon as possible!

I remember test driving a couple of new 14's when they came out. (high roof and low roof and eventually a diesel which didn't impress me with the shifting) My biggest drawback was the sloppy body assembly and alignment of the side panels. There were also many ripples in the stampings. I had a Sprinter at the time and thought to myself that there's simply nothing that can out qualify the sprinter despite its high maintenance and repair costs. Thats changed today with the PM. I would think they can improve upon it more by listening to people on the forum. A nice interior like that offered in Europe would help too.
side note, I grew up driving a diesel Ford Excursion and the transmission moved between gears smooth as butter. I purchased the diesel PM for the fuel efficiency and knocks on wood reliability in higher mileage. The "automated manual transmission" is wholly garbage until you're cruising at highway speed or without stop-and-go traffic. I find myself using the tiptronic shifting to select my gears - keeps my fuel efficiency up without revving before gearing up and engine breaking helps reduce the wear on the brakes. I use tiptronic a lot in my '08 VW Rabbit too, so it's not much of a switch for me. My dad is a picky driver and has an eco diesel 2500 Ram truck which is pretty nice to drive, but also drove ambulances & fire engines his whole life. He hasn't taken my van for a spin yet, not sure he'd care for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts