Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone installing a roof fan in their Promaster, I highly recommend considering using Hein's adapter to make the install easy and fit snug.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Promaster-Roof-Vent-Adapter-/142478235445

I went overboard with the sealant, but really didn't need much at all - the seal with the adapter is really snug.

Also - I used a low profile Fantastic Fan, purchsed from Vintage Trailer Supply, so that it ended up below the roof racks. Handy if you want to carry gear/boards on your roof over top of the fan.

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Fan-Tastic-Fan-p/vts-414.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Looks good, I used the Hein adapter as well and it was a very easy install. If you went overboard I went WAY overboard. I have Dicor from the roof of the van to the bolts in the fan adapter. The hein adapter is completely covered. I figured too much is better then not enough. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
im new and just seeing this! i was contemplating whether to purchase the hein adapter or not but this made for sure :)

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
im new and just seeing this! i was contemplating whether to purchase the hein adapter or not but this made for sure :)
Just an FYI...

no adapter, no dicor... and no leaks!

butyl tape underneath flange and Eternabond 4" tape on top of flange with the same amount of labor = $60 cheaper!

As you may have read on other threads, protect the paint and tape a bag under the hole while cutting...otherwise you may see small rust dots a few months later!

·
Registered
148 Posts
We used the adapter for the skylight but not the fan. Fan fit flush toward the front of the van since the factory gives you a cut out spot for whatever you might install there.

We saw everyone go nuts with the Dicor and made every effort to keep it neat. We used caulk tools to smooth it all out and now 6+ months later, still no leaks. We went a step further with the skylight install and taped a perimeter around the the frame so we could be a little messier with the Dicor initially and have it create a nice neat line when we peeled the tape up. Super satisfying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I want this but it $65. Shipping is another $65. Is there a way to cut the shipping cost? Can I get this somewhere other than ebay?

·
Super Moderator
8,678 Posts
Send a PM to Hein. If he sells direct he doesn’t have to pay eBay or Amazon fees so he may be able to help you out a bit

Reactions: RV8R

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I want this but it $65. Shipping is another $65. Is there a way to cut the shipping cost? Can I get this somewhere other than ebay?
Check out USPS into Canada. If you are using a courier service it can be expensive. If you talk to Hein directly (as KOV suggested) he might know about USPS & those costs into Canada

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I used one topside and also got carried away with the chaulking. I saw Hein's how-to instructions too late. His method should produce a tight seal with little visible mess. Before you ask, I can't remember where I saw them, but they probably came with the adaptor. You can ask him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just an FYI...

no adapter, no dicor... and no leaks!

butyl tape underneath flange and Eternabond 4" tape on top of flange with the same amount of labor = $60 cheaper!

As you may have read on other threads, protect the paint and tape a bag under the hole while cutting...otherwise you may see small rust dots a few months later!
Eddie, Did you simply build up the butyl tap in the valleys to make up for no adapter? I'm also planning the install with no adapter.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Eddie, Did you simply build up the butyl tap in the valleys to make up for no adapter? I'm also planning the install with no adapter.
YEs, in addition to running the butyl tape around the fan frame, just layer a strip or two in each valley. You can see that it will pretty much even things level. THe when you put the fan in. it will all combine into a very solid seal. I also did not use a sealant (Dicor). Instead, I out a strip of Eternabond 4" tape to cover the edge between van and fan. Look good (graphite van, black tape) and seals tight. Other have used butyl & Dicor with equally good results.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Do you know anyone with a 3d printer?
Or a CNC router.... got one a few months ago and I realize it would be easy to make an adapter... material cost would be <$10.

I seem to recall someone on one of the CNC forums making a front and back strip, or just a set of valley fillers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts