Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm checking to see if anyone has figured out an entry gland that fits on the raised part of the roof ribs? I need 4 holes - 2 solar, 1 weboost, 1 lightbar.

I've seen some people wire through the rear camera but that is a long wire run in my setup. If you have installed one of the
etc in the low part have you had any issues with leaking?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Hi,

I'm checking to see if anyone has figured out an entry gland that fits on the raised part of the roof ribs? I need 4 holes - 2 solar, 1 weboost, 1 lightbar.

I've seen some people wire through the rear camera but that is a long wire run in my setup.

Thanks,
I had a similar requirement to you (a gland for multiple cables (more than 2) to rest on top of one of the roof ribs that are raised).

Here's what I ended up coming up with. As you can see, it fits perfectly. And it has room for lots of grommets (there's a fancier name for the grommets).

Gland on Promaster Roof by TravelVanVan, on Flickr

If you don't mind seeing a gruesome cutting job, here's the pic of it installed, grommets in place, ready for my solar panel cables. I used butyl tape left over from my roof vent install to seal the box to the roof. That's the grey substance somewhat sloppily applied. I had some Dicor lap sealant leftover too, but I didn't use it because I couldn't see it being able to attach itself properly where the box meets the roof (it'd likely just slowly run off).

Gland on Promaster Roof with grommets by TravelVanVan, on Flickr

Here it is with the cap screwed down, cables routed in and everything sealed up, waterproof:

Gland on Promaster Roof with grommets with cap by TravelVanVan, on Flickr

If you want to get one yourself, it's this one:

Am I happy with it? Yes and no. It's fully waterproof and has been through numerous Pacific Northwest torrential rainstorms and highway speed drives through rain. No leaks. I'm going to put in another cable into it tomorrow for some auxiliary lights. I will simply drill another hole into the box and put in another grommet.

What's wrong with it? Well, as with anything cheap these days, the manufacturer has cut corners. Of all things, with the screws. Less than a few months after the install, the screws' heads are rusty already.

For the sake of probably 2 cents, the manufacturer used some lower grade screw that is susceptible to corrosion for a box designed to be...outdoors... I'll slap some vaseline on top of them to prevent further rust, but gee, what a waste. If I didn't need to add the cable tomorrow, I might not have noticed until the corrosion was bad enough that the screws couldn't be removed without stripping.

Oh, and regarding what I call "grommets"? I used these:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the idea! That looks pretty good. I'd be really worried about water entering at the 4 screw locations - more specifically now sitting on it and melting slowly.

Pretty hard to believe someone hasn't made specific units for a sprinter - transit - and Promaster yet. You could make a killing even at 50% margin on a $20 product..... $20 x 50% X 1000 units = $10,000 profits

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Thanks for the idea! That looks pretty good. I'd be really worried about water entering at the 4 screw locations - more specifically now sitting on it and melting slowly.

Pretty hard to believe someone hasn't made specific units for a sprinter - transit - and Promaster yet. You could make a killing even at 50% margin on a $20 product..... $20 x 50% X 1000 units = $10,000 profits
Do you mean that water will enter from the 4 screw locations on the cap? The screws go into 4 screw wells in the bottom case and they don't penetrate into the van. So there'll be no leaks from there.

The only way water will get in is from it getting under the butyl tape, which is being squeezed down by the box and its 4 screws like a gasket. If this is going to happen, then I will have to worry about my MaxxAir fan leaking, which is held down the same way (as will countless others who've installed vent fans this way).

I hope/suspect it'll be ok. It's been 4 months and the box and butyl tape look the same.

Here's a pic from earlier today (which also depicts those rusty screws I mentioned).

Gland on Promaster, rusty cap screws by TravelVanVan, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
I used the same system and no leak in over 4 years!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've been searching the threads to find out if someone has used the Sirius antenna location to route wires in the roof. I'm planning on using a waterproof box like the ones shown above and thought instead of drilling another hole in the roof I could remove the black plate as I never plan on using Sirius radio.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts