Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a Dometic Penguin 11,000 BTU A/C unit installed in my 136 LR.

The van is insulated with Thinsulate. The A/C unit is being powered by an Onan 2800 generator. The purpose of it is to keep the van cool enough for my dogs to stay in it while I attend events. I am in Illinois but will travel occasionally to FL.

The conditions will include being parked in direct sun (it is Sandstone) in potentially 90 degree temps.

I have run it a few times now, with the outside temps in the 70's, at times with overcast conditions, and am very disappointed with the performance. I am wondering if it is undersized for the conditions it will be used for. The a/c unit is all the way to the rear. I have stood in the van with the unit on high and even after 1 hour do not feel the air as I stand about two feet behind the drivers seat where the dog crates are. It has taken 45 minutes to cool the van down 3 degrees in conditions well below what I will have it in. Is this normal??

It seems it should be powerful enough for the area it is to cool, but something isn't right.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Walls are up and the Thinsulate is it... No, I did not have window cracked..

I have had the windows covered while testing the unit with a reflective material. I have one side window, two rear windows and the front cab area.

The installer said he felt it was more than enough power as well, and was concerned that a bigger unit would "quick cycle" ( I forgot the exact term he used)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it seems that the unit may be "short cycling". Dometic agreed that the unit should be big enough, but that short cycling is very common in small vans, especially lower than 7' in height.

The fix (hopefully) is putting the thermostat in a remote location closer to the drivers seat and away from the air flow.

I'll keep you posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts