Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
We recently purchased the inexpensive Kuat rack and couldn't be more happy with it:

Kuat Transfer 2 Bike Hitch Rack - 1.25" Hitch Receiver $289 from Amazon
Link: http://a.co/atp2zqS

We also purchased the locking system.

It would be interesting to find out if the doors would clear the bicycle while in the lowered positing. We don't have a van yet, so can only tell you that the hatch from a Subaru Outback wagon does clear the bike when lowered.

You may need the above mentioned swing out in order for the doors to clear.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh BigBill that RacAttack looks great too. Could use it for so many other hitch mounted items, Cargo Boxes, Ski Racks, etc and bikes. It pushes the bike rack cost up a bit more since you still need to get the rack, but the flexibility might be worth it.

Our configuration has us going in and out of the back a lot for our gear and having something that swings away is a must. The Kuat's are good looking racks. If we go with the Rakattack that might be a good option.

thanks

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have a Yakima Swing Daddy Rack which swings away. Problem is part of the swing mechanism sticks up and the passenger side rear door hits it. So door won't open more than a few inches. The Rakattach shown above appears to have a hinge that also sticks up, so be sure it works before ordering. I think most of these swing away type racks are designed for hatchback doors rather than side swinging doors. I also have a drop down Yakima hitch rack which also has some parts that impede opening the doors.

I picked up this step hitch/extender from Harbor Freight which moves everything further back and gives a little more clearance for opening the doors. Also adds a step.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hitch-extender-with-step-97685.html

Another possible solution is this dual hitch extender. I tried it by flipping it over so the second receiver is lower. Then some of these swing away bike racks may be low enough so the doors clear. However, the lower position can drag on the ground in some situations.

https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-hitch-extender-69881.html

Both of these HF extenders are a little loose in my receiver so I had to wrap with some tape to make for a tighter fit.

Neither is a perfect solution, but they allowed me to inexpensively use my existing hitch racks

·
Registered
520 Posts
I need a bike rack also. I wish that Winnebago sold that door mounted rack they use on the travato camper vans they sell. It's cool how the wheel tray slides in to minimize the rack when not in use, and of course it seems having the rack on the door would simplify life if you don't want to always be taking your rack on and off the van.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good Point tgblake. Looks like the Wilco and the Rockymounts have both their arms in one plane where the others stack them. Would have to measure my hitch height and door height to see if they would clear.

thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
We recently purchased the inexpensive Kuat rack and couldn't be more happy with it:

Kuat Transfer 2 Bike Hitch Rack - 1.25" Hitch Receiver $289 from Amazon
Link: http://a.co/atp2zqS
Yup, that looks almost exactly like the Yakima rack we've used for years. The part that goes into the hitch and then curves up is the problem. That's right in the door's way...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Careful with the rakattach. I bought one and my rear door would not clear the rakattach. I have the 2017 PM factory reciever which sits too high and interferes with opening the rear door.

I was really bummed as the rakattach is super solid. Sadly I had to send it back and am waiting for the release of the Kuat pivot.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Careful with the rakattach. I bought one and my rear door would not clear the rakattach. I have the 2017 PM factory reciever which sits too high and interferes with opening the rear door.
Good to know. They show a PM on their website, but it has an aftermarket Curt hitch, not factory. Guess that is lower.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K (2016 ProMaster 3500 chassis)
8 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted.
I need a bike rack also. I wish that Winnebago sold that door mounted rack they use on the travato camper vans they sell. It's cool how the wheel tray slides in to minimize the rack when not in use, and of course it seems having the rack on the door would simplify life if you don't want to always be taking your rack on and off the van.
Me, too. Sort of like Fiamma but trays do slide in and out. Maybe licensed from Fiamma? I can’t see that WGO will sell it as an aftermarket item.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts