Ram Promaster Forum banner

301 - 320 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Just starting on my 136" HT in silver.
I started off with some easy exterior mods. Plastidipped the wheels. Didn't mask at all because I've heard it won't stick and stay on the tires so we will see haha. I may end up having to wipe it off.

I'd be curious to see the Plastidipped equipment after a bit of abuse. I've read that it's not a good long term solution.
I'm not sure if I did any wonderful job of prepping the wheels, but the only marks on them where the plastidip has been damaged is from having the new tires installed. They still look really good imo.

I havent seen any 16" wheels with the right fitment that have sold me yet.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd be curious to see the Plastidipped equipment after a bit of abuse. I've read that it's not a good long term solution.

I have done a little on the van but I also have a 2014 C-Max that I plastidiped the wheels and front grills. So it is about 4 years old now (60k miles) and it still looks great. Just a few very small spots that need some touch up. No drive thru car washes though. I heard the brushes can sometimes catch and pull off sections.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Just saw your Lagun table posts. I got one too, but haven't installed it yet. My cabinet/table configuration will be exactly yours, so it's good to see that it's going to work! Thanks for the heads up about post-mount height.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
Just saw your Lagun table posts. I got one too, but haven't installed it yet. My cabinet/table configuration will be exactly yours, so it's good to see that it's going to work! Thanks for the heads up about post-mount height.
Glad my review and pics helped you. We have really enjoyed the table and im sure youll love it. I just met up with Nebulight from the forums on saturday and he is planning on getting one as well after we did a quick test fit in his van.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Captainrob, what is the minimum height from counter to top of table when it is stored?
It would only be the width of the aluminum which is about 2" and then whatever the thickness of your chosen table top. I usually store mine in the front overhead area, but when i do have it installed i habe it a little raised to clear the dometic burners. I also had to mount the bracket much higher on the cabinet because my fridge is down lower. Mounting the bracket lower would allow you to adjust to uust ovet the counter to much higher where it could maybe be even a helper shelf for dinner time prep.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
The lift looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks atomic. It was a pita to get that lower ball joint back in the hole, even with a long pry bar and a good sized buddy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey there,

Popping in to see how your bed is holding up. My husband and I are considering something similar, at least to get started with. We like the simplicity and ability to easily remove the bed if needed.

Anything you'd do different this go around?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
Hi, the bed has been great and we've had no problems at all! The only thing I would possibly consider is using some 4-5" flat stock metal to bolt to the sides where its bolted now and then they would have holes in the other end to bolt the bed to thereby raising it up. This would be because I dont need that much headroom to sit up and I'd like to be able to fit bicycles underneath easily with the front wheel and seat removed. This creates an issue of getting in the bed easily though since youd most like need a step. If you dont care about additional height of the bed then just run with it how I did it : )

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great, thanks! We are planning on using it mostly for camping and motorcycles. We were looking at it yesterday and putting two street bikes in there is going to be tough to then ALSO have a bed when we get somewhere, even if we completely pull it out and try to put the pieces somewhere in the van.

What do you think about this crazy idea:
If we had a duplicate set of brackets set up at the top beam overhead, we thought that we could put the beams up to that height and the mattress so the entire bed could be stored up high while we drove, then when we got to the track we could take out the bikes, drop down the bed, and sleep. (Of course we'd need to be sure the mattress was secured.)

My only concern is the awkward / heavy bed and getting it up there.... but I think the system itself might work?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Some people use the ATV ramps which can be stowed against the walls, and I love that idea, but then you'd need a place to store the mattress. I think this might work best for us.

And am also thinking that we could even just take out one of the beams, and either stack the second set of slats (so that they are alternating like this is already built) or stow them so that we could use it as a bench / couch. Use a 2-piece mattress and find a way to secure the mattress at the back of the van.

EDIT:
Taking some measurements.... if we used a 2-piece mattress, I think we could remove the most forward Skorva and slats, stack or stow the second set of slats, and put both mattress pieces on the rear-most section. Then the motorcycles should still fit. And again, we'd have to rig up a secure way to keep the mattress from sliding off onto the bikes, but this would be an even more simple solution that one person could do solo.

So from full bed setup it would go like this:
  • Remove mattress pieces and all Skorvas.
  • Put motorcycles in van
  • Replace rear 2 Skorvas
  • Stack mattress pieces on top of one another and secure.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
Some people use the ATV ramps which can be stowed against the walls, and I love that idea, but then you'd need a place to store the mattress. I think this might work best for us.

And am also thinking that we could even just take out one of the beams, and either stack the second set of slats (so that they are alternating like this is already built) or stow them so that we could use it as a bench / couch. Use a 2-piece mattress and find a way to secure the mattress at the back of the van.

EDIT:
Taking some measurements.... if we used a 2-piece mattress, I think we could remove the most forward Skorva and slats, stack or stow the second set of slats, and put both mattress pieces on the rear-most section. Then the motorcycles should still fit. And again, we'd have to rig up a secure way to keep the mattress from sliding off onto the bikes, but this would be an even more simple solution that one person could do solo.

So from full bed setup it would go like this:
  • Remove mattress pieces and all Skorvas.
  • Put motorcycles in van
  • Replace rear 2 Skorvas
  • Stack mattress pieces on top of one another and secure.
I actually bought an extra set of the skorva brackets for the exact reason that you are thinking. I am into motorcycles although I don't race them, and I'd like to have my bike inside and not worry about a rear rack. It looked like such a pita to setup that I didnt get around to doing it yet and I purchased a motorcycle hitch carrier for my bike. The bars have already put a dimple in my van door from it swaying over bumps : (

The Skorvas would be awkward to move up with a mattress since they arent attached to each other. I think if you were to connect them with something rigid allowing you to raise them all or two at a time to the upper brackets then that would allow you to keep the mattress on top. Make sense? Maybe a couple bars threaded rods connecting them, but so as to still allow the beams to callapse/extend since the upper brackets and lower brackets wont be the exact same distance most likely. I didnt like the idea of having to pull the mattress down etc, but it you have 2 people all the time then this would be an easier process either way. I was thinking about making a setup for when I'm solo so I'd just use 2 rails and a smaller mattress to be easily manageable by myself. I have a 136 so a 159 would be a little easier if you have that.

If you're interested in a motorized setup search happijac. There are some vids out there. Also, there is a guy who did a setup using some angle iron and tracks along with air struts to move the bed up VERY easy in 1 piece.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I completely understand what you're saying. For now we really want to keep it simple, so though the tracks / motorized ones are sweet, that is possibly for another day. :)

I was thinking about making a setup for when I'm solo so I'd just use 2 rails and a smaller mattress to be easily manageable by myself. I have a 136 so a 159 would be a little easier if you have that.
What do you think about my post #136... where we would either use a 2-piece mattress or maybe a futon style folding mattress...
Then it could be converted to a one-person sleep area (leave one mattress at home or sleep on the folded up "sofa".
And I think it could be removed / reinstalled as a couch or 2 stacked mattresses with room for our motorcycles in the front of the cargo area?

·
Premium Member
8,385 Posts
I have that combination with a three piece mattress that makes a single or double or couch with back bolster. All have been used and appreciated. I’d say go for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have that combination with a three piece mattress that makes a single or double or couch with back bolster. All have been used and appreciated. I’d say go for it.
I think I saw that you have a Lovas mattress? I only saw "Lycksele Lovas" and it looks like a 3-fold item that folds horizontally to how you sleep on it.

I was looking at this mattress - The Nyhamn. It folds vertically (head to toe) and seems like it should make it easy to make into a couch or double over.

I know their items change all the time.

Sorry to hijack, Rob!

301 - 320 of 320 Posts