Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,404 Posts
I've heard good things about rivnuts. Am keeping it in mind for my build.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
FYI rivnuts can be installed without the use of a rivnut pulling tool. See this link: http://home.btconnect.com/astro-site/pulling_rivnuts.htm
I have a rivnut pulling tool and it works extremely well, however it cannot be used in close quarters. I have used the technique shown in the link many times over the years and it works extremely. If your only use for rivnuts is going to be during your build. I would recommend trying the technique vice buying a special tool that will only see limited use.

·
Registered
2014 3500ext Gas - VA
250 Posts
I'm in the process of rebuilding my van with a more modular design... this time I am making extensive use of Rivnuts. Rivnuts for the 3/4" ply lower wall panels, rivnuts for the 1/4" ply upper wall panels, rivnuts for the ceiling panels (and future hard mounts for my overhead cabinets). All told, I've probably used 70-80 rivnuts in this build so far... I do not regret spending $40 on a rivnut tool.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,537 Posts
FYI rivnuts can be installed without the use of a rivnut pulling tool. See this link: http://home.btconnect.com/astro-site/pulling_rivnuts.htm
I have a rivnut pulling tool and it works extremely well, however it cannot be used in close quarters. I have used the technique shown in the link many times over the years and it works extremely. If your only use for rivnuts is going to be during your build. I would recommend trying the technique vice buying a special tool that will only see limited use.
Like this...

The black bar is a piece of steel that was left over from a garage door opener install... any piece of metal with a hole in it would work. Add a bolt, a few washers, a touch of oil between the washers...... works perfectly and gets into tight places.
(recently posted in another thread)

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've read that the "plusnut" is a better option than the "rivnut". Does anyone here have any experience with plusnuts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts