Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a few companies in the Denver area doing conversions on Sprinter/Promaster/Transits.

I've reached out to them for partial installations on certain items and the price quotes I've gotten seem insane.

For instance I reached out to a local company inquiring about a complete electrical system- battery to battery charger, solar, inverter, etc. I included prices I found online but also expressed interest in buying everything through them. Their response stated they couldn't come close to my prices but they would gladly do the labor only for the low low price of $5,000.00. Because I was going to build the cabinet for the electrical myself they were willing to cut me a deal at $4200 for LABOR ONLY. The electrical in my van, installing everything by myself will be a two day job and I am not a professional.

ALL the local companies are also backed up at least a couple of months. Obviously there is more van demand then supply! Aggravating when you're trying to get quality work done on a budget though!

I would love to find someone who has a template to make me a row of ceiling cabinets for over the bed. I haven't even reached out for a quote though because I'm sure it'll be $2500.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've reached out to them for partial installations on certain items and the price quotes I've gotten seem insane.
ALL the local companies are also backed up at least a couple of months. Obviously there is more van demand then supply!

Mystery solved!

Personally, I find the electrical to be much less daunting than the rest of it. What are you planning on installing that's worth contracting out? I could see maybe getting a warrantied install for a second alternator or anything tying the main electrical system to the house, but for the solar itself it's pretty hard to get wrong I think.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mystery solved!

Personally, I find the electrical to be much less daunting than the rest of it. What are you planning on installing that's worth contracting out? I could see maybe getting a warrantied install for a second alternator or anything tying the main electrical system to the house, but for the solar itself it's pretty hard to get wrong I think.
Exactly, I was really only looking for a warranty on the work. I'm halfway through the install now and once I had a good diagram the install is easy.

I also looked into having a gas espar installed just for a warranty and because they seem finicky. I spoke to the same company twice about it, the first time I was quoted $800 labor, the second $1000 LOL.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Seems like you don't value your own time, or you think you can get things done faster than you can get them done.

If you think it's going to take you 2 days to install a full electrical system, soup to nuts, you're dreaming.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I think some guys on here could make a killing building vans. ;)

Reactions: keeponvaning

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,709 Posts
The Craig's list offer looks nice and is probably quite functional, but certainly a lightweight compared to some of our vans that we created for not much more than half that price.

I for one would go broke. I spend too much time thinking.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,476 Posts
This is where it came from, https://www.offhighwayvan.com/

Adventure vehicle until that rear axle hits a large pebble.

Personally I don't get, a lot of money for very little.

But I do understand why someone would offer the product and why someone would buy it.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems like you don't value your own time, or you think you can get things done faster than you can get them done.

If you think it's going to take you 2 days to install a full electrical system, soup to nuts, you're dreaming.
DOne in about 6 hours. I’m not talking about 12v appliances just the box.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm sure that your quality of work is exactly what they said they were going to do in 6 hours :) You also probably got quotes over the phone or email or likewise.

Come on dude, be realistic here. Those places don't exist to rip you off. They exist to pay themselves a living wage for working on vans. I've gotten work at quite a few of the places in the Denver area and they were all very realistic in terms of what I asked them to do, what they quoted me, and what everything turned out to be.

And if you really feel that way, I suggest you try it. In a few months of not making any money and dealing with shitty customers, you'll be right back to quoting the same prices they do ;)

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm sure that your quality of work is exactly what they said they were going to do in 6 hours :) You also probably got quotes over the phone or email or likewise.

Come on dude, be realistic here. Those places don't exist to rip you off. They exist to pay themselves a living wage for working on vans. I've gotten work at quite a few of the places in the Denver area and they were all very realistic in terms of what I asked them to do, what they quoted me, and what everything turned out to be.

And if you really feel that way, I suggest you try it. In a few months of not making any money and dealing with shitty customers, you'll be right back to quoting the same prices they do ;)

I agree with you 100% and just want to add there are so many people out there working in the corporate world making astronomical salary's than complain when they get a so called high quote for manual labor which they could never do in a million years. There's no way this guy wired the van in 6 hours with quality and finished work.

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
I see no problem in wiring a van in 6 hours if you are prepared, have the materials and know what you are doing. Some people know what they are doing and just do it, others spends days thinking, planning and then changing their minds and the work. This is how people work and attack a project. I know many electricians that would have no problem rough wiring a whole House including the entrance service in two days.

Price and quality are not necessarily connected. Price is very much market driven and quality is knowing what to use and where to use it. This fact has been demonstrated right here, on this forum, over and over again.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a difficult time if there are a lot of options on a menu. The planning and endless variety of setups etc for my electrical system is mind boggling and will easily be 10 X's more time planning/thinking than my actual build time because of my lack of familiarity with it. I'm sure to a pro that's worked with vans and all the hardware a day could easily be enough time to wire up a van. In my dreams....

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I think some of you guys are trying to comfort yourselves in the money you spent.

When emailing for this quote I asked for a battery to battery charger install, battery monitor, two busbars, a 12v fuse block, an MPPT and solar and appropriate fuses. The setup in the diagram attached. Since inquiring I did the work myself. Maybe not to the standard of someone who does this for a living but it was pretty basic. From a functional standpoint the wires are all ran cleanly (positive and negative separated, and labeled). Perfect for the DIY camper IMO. I can still access the meat of the components by pull the two drawer bases. I haven't hung doors on the cabinets yet but that's coming. Again the quote was $4200 in LABOR only for this. I've very much a blue collar guy btw... This was completed in less then 6 hours. Wiring the maxxfan took about 20 minutes. Another 20 minutes for the 4 USB/2 12v sockets. Wiring the ceiling LED's will probably take another hour.

I think the company obviously has enough work to keep them busy for a while and this was there way of getting rid of me. Which is pretty shady in my mind. Another company who as been around a long time that I called asking for the same quote told me he just didn't have the time but would gladly provide email support if I decided to do it myself. Much better customer service IMO.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Why complain about pricing of something you can do yourself? Either pay for the convenience of not doing it yourself, or do it yourself. I mean thats life isnt it?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ain’t dat da truth. Anyone who would pay that kind of $ for such an ugly spartan conversion is nutz;)
If he sold one of those at 80k its a miracle. A well done conversion with a actual plumbing system and at least bathroom would have no problem selling for 60k. This thing is completely bare bones and is priced up around where you can start getting Travatos. Cant imagine anyone would do that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts