Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
We have been seriously looking at a Promaster for a camper van conversion.

Have settled on the 1500, high roof, 136WB model. A little tight to get everything in, but we want something that parks and drives like an SUV, and we don't need or want a bathroom in it.

Drove one at the dealer yesterday and were generally pleased. Drives nice, great visibility, U turn radius is amazing....

But, the ride seemed harsh and choppy. Enough that its pretty much a show stopper for my spouse.
This was an empty van of course. My hope would be that with with the weight that conversion, full water tanks, ... will ad that the ride will smooth out?
For those of you with Promasters, is it your experience that the ride does smooth out when the van is loaded?

I've done a fairly careful weight estimate for the conversion, and I believe that we will be adding about 1600 lbs with our simple/austere conversion. So, it will still be only about half way up to its maximum load. I'm wondering if this is enough to smooth things out?

Winnebago (and others?) offer some very pricey conversions now based on the Promaster. I'm wondering if they order special springs or other features to smooth the ride out?

Thanks for any advice.

Gary

·
Registered
104 Posts
I felt the same way when I first drove one. Now that I have one for 2 months with a little weight in it I love the way it rides. maybe the best riding van I have owned.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Supposedly at end of year, there will be a "Motor Home Suspension Package (SDD)" available for order. I can't find any literature which will tell me if that is the euro Ducato rear air suspension option (I hope it is).

·
Registered
9 Posts
FWIW I just got off the phone with Sportsmobile and while everything is in development right now they are thinking they will only do a poptop conversion in a 136 or longer LOW ROOF. So if you had one of those in mind like I do you may want to consider the high roof idea.

I think it rides like my old TJ's which I love, there are tons of custom spring companies around and with some basic measurements and data could come up with something for you. Especially the rear, basic leafs.

J

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,
We have been seriously looking at a Promaster for a camper van conversion.

Have settled on the 1500, high roof, 136WB model. A little tight to get everything in, but we want something that parks and drives like an SUV, and we don't need or want a bathroom in it.

Drove one at the dealer yesterday and were generally pleased. Drives nice, great visibility, U turn radius is amazing....

But, the ride seemed harsh and choppy. Enough that its pretty much a show stopper for my spouse.
This was an empty van of course. My hope would be that with with the weight that conversion, full water tanks, ... will ad that the ride will smooth out?
For those of you with Promasters, is it your experience that the ride does smooth out when the van is loaded?

I've done a fairly careful weight estimate for the conversion, and I believe that we will be adding about 1600 lbs with our simple/austere conversion. So, it will still be only about half way up to its maximum load. I'm wondering if this is enough to smooth things out?

Winnebago (and others?) offer some very pricey conversions now based on the Promaster. I'm wondering if they order special springs or other features to smooth the ride out?

Thanks for any advice.

Gary
Hi,
Thought I should update this.

The bad ride appears to be a problem with just the particular ProMaster we drove first.

We looked into it somewhat more based on the comments here and decided to give it another try. We found a ProMaster at a nearby dealer and drove it, and the ride was MUCH better. Exactly the same model 136 WB, hi roof, 1500, as the ProMaster we drove at the first dealer, but a world of difference in the ride.
Only thing I can figure is that there was something wrong with suspension or shocks on the first one we drove.
We both think the ride is fine now.

Bought the ProMaster and drove it home today. Now just the small job of doing the conversion :)
22.8 mpg on the 140 mile drive home.

Thanks for the help.

Gary

·
Super Moderator
723 Posts
Hi,
Thought I should update this.

The bad ride appears to be a problem with just the particular ProMaster we drove first.

We looked into it somewhat more based on the comments here and decided to give it another try. We found a ProMaster at a nearby dealer and drove it, and the ride was MUCH better. Exactly the same model 136 WB, hi roof, 1500, as the ProMaster we drove at the first dealer, but a world of difference in the ride.
Only thing I can figure is that there was something wrong with suspension or shocks on the first one we drove.
We both think the ride is fine now.

Bought the ProMaster and drove it home today. Now just the small job of doing the conversion :)
22.8 mpg on the 140 mile drive home.

Thanks for the help.

Gary
Congrats!

Please keep us updated with the conversion, always fun to follow such a topic

1 - 10 of 10 Posts