Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been talked about but can't find info with the search. Looking to install 2 CRL awning style bunk windows in the 159 rear side panels. The center vertical rib, I see some people remove it, some have left it in. Thoughts? I also plan on building inserts for head and toe recessed bunk length around the installed windows. Need that extra room for my huge head and big feet! Seems like they will be in the way for the window trim ring. Windows are ordered so I have no reference yet. Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
9,020 Posts
Imdoubt you could put a window in without removing them. Their only purpose is to keep the tin metal in the opening from distorting or vibrating.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Noooo!!! The roof will fall in!!!

Just kidding.
They are added to stiffen the large areas of paper thin sheet metal so it doesn't wobble in the wind.
A window will actually be more rigid than the sheet metal and stiffening rib were.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I removed mine on either side for the CRL1033 windows. They are attached with very small rivets at top and bottom and adhesive. Relatively easy to remove. I'm very happy with the addition of these windows, in fact I've been leaving them open when parked and driving for the past month.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We did the same thing as ShaunB. You can see some photos of the repositioned support in the first post here Jellybean Build

When we removed the support and put the windows in and went for a drive I noticed a lot of wiggling which made a pretty annoying sound. I got home and reinstalled the supports using rivets and lap sealant. It made a huge difference. I also took lap sealant and reconnected all the supports that had popped their foam glue loose. This added a ton of rigidity to the sheet metal and reduced vibration which reduced sound.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Most folks add a wood frame around the window and rigid foam insulation adhered to the sheet metal. That usually returns the stability to the sheet metal. Actually, probably a little more.
Adding the rib back won't hurt, but does add a little unnecessary extra work. Unless you don't plan to add framing to the window and use soft insulation. Then it probably will help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Most folks add a wood frame around the window and rigid foam insulation adhered to the sheet metal. That usually returns the stability to the sheet metal. Actually, probably a little more.
Adding the rib back won't hurt, but does add a little unnecessary extra work. Unless you don't plan to add framing to the window and use soft insulation. Then it probably will help.
I totally agree with the above. We drive our van a lot and use it just about every other weekend for trips despite it being incomplete. I am grateful for the extra support being in there. I guess the answer is "it depends" just like most things.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I'm glad you posted that and glad I didn't destroy the one I removed.
I'm getting ready to install a 31x16 window in the area behind the sliding door and since the van is a DD, I will be driving with the window in for a while before finishing the wall. I was wondering if there would be any extra wobble with the window installed, so it's good to know that I can temporarily stick the rib back in until I finish he wall.
I hadn't thought of that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts