Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I saw images on google of some promasters where the bottom half is painted across the body, and that inspired me to do it myself. Instead of the light grey in the above picture, i would like to cover it with black truck bed liner for that gritty rugged feel to it.
I plan to roll it on over plastidip, as that is what my vehicle is painted with right now.

A lot of posts say it adds weight, but i dont think it can add more than what the can weighs already. Unless i need multiple cans of paint, i never done this before so i dont know. Will one can be enough to cover the entire lower half including all plastic areas?

Does anyone have any experience with it or am i the first on here to try this over plastidip? I will post results when done.

·
Registered
'17 136 HT Black
244 Posts
I don't think that it's common to do over plasti dip. It is probably best for it to adhere to a scuffed up panel rather than a rubber coating.
One person has it done on their front end that I can remember, but I can't think of anyone who has it on the entire lower half.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think that it's common to do over plasti dip. It is probably best for it to adhere to a scuffed up panel rather than a rubber coating.
One person has it done on their front end that I can remember, but I can't think of anyone who has it on the entire lower half.
I stumbled across this video just like an hour ago and he had the same idea I guess. He did it exactly as I described it, except he also included the hood which I might do myself.

I guess ill give it a try and do it over the plastidip and report how well it holds. I plan to use the $20 rustoleum truck bed paint thats a roll on from walmart.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
431 Posts
I stumbled across this video just like an hour ago and he had the same idea I guess. He did it exactly as I described it, except he also included the hood which I might do myself.

I guess ill give it a try and do it over the plastidip and report how well it holds. I plan to use the $20 rustoleum truck bed paint thats a roll on from walmart.
I want what she is smoking. Very well thought out build. And it is their first. Imagine how they will refine that in the coming years.

·
Registered
2021 118 low roof Red
85 Posts
Hypocrisy at its best , this couple is claiming to live the
Minimalist/Environmentalist lifestyle , that's one Juiced up Rig for a couple who don't want to leave footprints on our planet .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hypocrisy at its best , this couple is claiming to live the
Minimalist/Environmentalist lifestyle , that's one Juiced up Rig for a couple who don't want to leave footprints on our planet .
Haha right? Then again, what do you expect from californians that claim theyre vegan 😂😂

·
Super Moderator
9,887 Posts
If they ever put down roots and plant a garden they sure won’t ever have to buy any fertilizer! 💩
I wonder how long they’ll actually live in that thing? I don’t give them a year before they try to sell it to someone else who is as obnoxious and full of it as they are (but has money to throw away) and move on to their next "big life event"😜

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT
2,233 Posts
I like the “look” of the outside, but IMO & in terms of gym talk & personal training the muscles are “all show & no go”. I understand wanting the exterior to look “tricked out” as if a 4x4 & it looks good to me (very aesthetic) & it looks like it can off road, but it can’t or he admits around the 36 minute mark that they will not subject their “tiny home” to those stresses & the possibility of getting stuck (neither will the 4x4 Sprinter Owner he referenced). Those “Off Road” upgrades & “fixing” of said upgrades due to “unstable wobble” are lost on me as I am sure they are not cheap upgrades. But each to their own.

@Rampro74

I like the look of the “blacked out” bottom. Good Luck with coating work !!

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
838 Posts
That rough, dark spray coating is going to be hard to keep clean and looking good. It doesn't age well either, the texture gets flattened out in spots, looks rubbed and gets discolored in areas. Makes sense in the bed of a pickup where tools and equipment are going to be tossed in and possibly banged around. Plus you don't really see it unless you go over and look in. Is the plan to repeatedly bang the outside of the van with gear that will scratch the paint? Or run through brush along jeep trails that might scratch it, in this van?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I saw a video where this couple was showing their buildout and said he had done DIY Rhino liner on his van. I took a screenshot because looked really good and It really got me investigating doing this. I have not done anything yet, but still contemplating in the future. For the life of me, I cannot find that video again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: I've finished painting it and it looks really good in comparison to what it looked before. Its been holding up well for 3 days now and came out clean. Might need to buy another can because I could only get one coat all around before I ran out.

Here's what it looks like as I was painting it

I did it over plastidip and it holds well. There were some spots where the plastidip peeled off due to scratches, and I found out the rhino liner does not stick to gloss. I guess I learned why you have to sand it down to bare metal or primer before applying it, but I came to find out the plastidip works similar to actual primer.

All in all, it costed me less than $35 altogether. The rustoleum truck bedding is the only kind of rhino liner I could find at walmart for like 20 something dollars, and I rolled it on. There's also spray can versions, but I wanted to try rolling it on because its easier for me. Like I said, one can will get you enough to do just one coat all around.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts