Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am installing a pioneer radio and pioneer backup camera and I need to hook up something to the purple wire that is coming off of the radio that says "reverse signal wire."

I have an unused and existing factory hook up behind my stereo and I am
thinking that the white wire might be it. See link.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/bbg/pdf/buc.pdf

Can anyone help me out here?

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
The white wire you are referring to is the stock camera return wire (-) ground. This will not help you.

If your radio is like most, the purple wire from your radio needs to tie into the reverse back-up light power (+) circuit. Verify this for yourself.

Using the post I created...

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47289

...it took all of 5 minutes to figure out where to tie into the reverse light (+) under the dash (rather than running a wire all the way to the light itself).

First you need to know that the purple wire from your radio needs to tie into the reverse back-up light power circuit. Open the schematics and look for the "external lights" chapter. There you will find the "Assy_Tail_Lamp RT-_RT" and "BACKUP_RT". This is the circuit you want. Also, you can click on the D6642A connector (surrounded by a broken red line box outline, which signifies a hyperlink) and you will notice that it will show you the same information.

Rather than just come right out and tell you the answer, I'd like for you to try to figure it out on your own so you can learn how to read the schematics. You might be cursing me right now, but you'll thank me later!
;)
And of course I will answer your questions if you get stumped, but I'd like you to try...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is this, school?! ; ) ok, I am cursing you now but I will take your advice and read the schematic and see where it gets me. I just hope I don't light my PM on fire! :fire:

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Well, I guess I am trying to teach you (and others who view this thread) how to read the schematics. ;) It will be very useful in the future for you!

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Why won't the white wire help? Why can't I use the wiring already in the van to connect a camera/screen to? You say:

"The white wire you are referring to is the stock camera return wire (-) ground. This will not help you."

The .PDF (https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/bbg/pdf/buc.pdf) shows it as the "Rear camera sig RTN" Why not, and please don't send me to school. I am thinking of cutting the plugs off the BUC wiring provided by FCA, purchasing the connectors (often RCA) to hitch up a camera and screen to those wires.

Thanks

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,551 Posts
RD,

The wires that provide the video from the camera to the radio WILL work. I think Tracy is referring to the "trigger" that tells the screen when to display the camera.

If you're using a separate display for the camera (not the radio), you should be fine grabbing the camera video behind the radio. The camera video is live whenever the van is on.

Adding a separate monitor for the back up camera is lost somewhere on my to-do list!

HNY!
Ed

·
Registered
120 Posts
FYI the reverse trigger is not a requirement. All that does is override whatever is on the screen at the time and shows you the camera view. If you don't hook it up you will simply have to select the camera view manually from the menu. Depends on your particular system though probably.

·
Registered
3 Posts
reverse wires

FYI the reverse trigger is not a requirement. All that does is override whatever is on the screen at the time and shows you the camera view. If you don't hook it up you will simply have to select the camera view manually from the menu. Depends on your particular system though probably.
Bump for my question over in the general topics area - so which of the wires on the passenger side step area are leads going to the reverse lights in the rear of the van? I'm trying to pick up a "trigger" wire to turn on my rear camera from my aftermarket head unit.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I haven't hooked mine up but
Based on what's been posted

Grey w/dark Green Stripe = Reverse White w/ light Green Stripe = Reverse

Either one , because one is for the left side reverse bulb and one is for the right side reverse bulb

Someone said it's easy to find these wires under the dash as well

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
well I'm not going to make you search because I'm not a tool. Every promaster has a factory harness for the factory camera. Here is what I did. The harness is a little square one in the back of the van. You are looking for the solid red wire out of the back of it. I think it has 5 wires coming out of it and is clipped inside the cut out area that the wire harness runs. If you are standing inside the van walk to the very back. Look up. Inside that area. That wire will run from the back of the van to the front next to the radio. On the factory radio harness there will be zip tied a plug with with 3 wires coming out. You will notice the exact same color solid red wire. It's small and rectangular. now go back to the back of the van on the passenger side. Remove the cover over the tail lights. The harness going up will have a Grey wire with a green strip. That's the back up lights power. Make sure you don't grab white and green. Looks very similar. Run a jumper wire from that wire to the red wire. Now you have your signal wire. Of course check Every connection and make sure you are getting power when the car is in reverse. The last thing to do is hook to your radio and make sure your signal settings are right in your radio. Pioneer gives you the option to use either ground or power switching. Set yours to power and away you go. Hope this saves some people some time.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,551 Posts
Saber,

It appears that you are using a wire that's part of the camera harness because the van doesn't have a camera.

I'm sure it will work but I think I'd prefer to leave the harness as-is and just run a quick wire from front to back. from the back, it's easy to run along the metal bracing with exiting wires, then down the B column, thru the front seat footwell and up into the dash...about a 20 minute project. It leaves the camera wire harness alone in case someone may want to use it for it's intended purpose.

Just my opinion, just info for future readers...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Backup camera installation 2017 Promaster 2500

.... Remove the cover over the tail lights. The harness going up will have a Grey wire with a green strip. That's the back up lights power. Make sure you don't grab white and green. Looks very similar. Run a jumper wire from that wire to the red wire. Now you have your signal wire. Of course check Every connection and make sure you are getting power when the car is in reverse.... .
Thanks, that was super helpful.

In my 2017 promaster the reverse light power wire was white and green on the driver side tail light, and appears to be grey and green on the passenger side tail light.

Here is a video I made of my backup camera install (including a comical mistake involving me connecting to the wrong wire initially!): https://youtu.be/0454v0C9rxQ

Michael

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ok, I'll prolly get shot at but, is there aftermarket, or even OEM, backup cameras for the City? ..and are the wires already installed? I think I've got some funds coming....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar, newbie question. I'm installing a Rear View Systems ProMaster-specific system in a 2017 ProMaster. I have the camera (mounted above the rear doors) and monitor (built into the rear view mirror) wire bundles converging above the sliding door on the passenger side.

What color are the wires in the Ram ProMaster bundle to which I should connect:

RVS red wire (power) = Promaster ________? (Black/Red?)
RVS black (ground) = Promaster _______?
RVS green (reverse sensor) = Promaster __________? (Gray/Green?)

Thanks for any guidance!

Jim

·
Registered
802 Posts
Using this older thread since it's relevant . I'm hoping to connect to the reverse lights with a dash switch . Turn them on in camp , at track , trailer etc without the van running . Will power them from the house batts .
And of course will the camera and dash display come on ? , upset the computer , or work fine .
It would be swell if there was a wire/junction easy to reach at/near the interior fuse box .
Thanks in advance , K

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,551 Posts
My thinking (hopefully correct)...

If the van is not running (key off) then there should be no issue with the camera/computer,etc.

but

If you try to apply 12V power to the backup lights, if may do damage to the wire & circuit coming from the computer that normally turns the backup lights on!

so,

If you want to do it, (a good idea, by the way!) then I would suggest a SPDT switch to connect to the lights.

One side of the switch => the 12V wire from the van that puts the lights on in reverse
The other side of the switch => 12V from the aux battery (aux battery should be grounded to the chassis - probably is already)
Center pole of the switch => connected to the hot wire that feeds the hot side of the light

OR to put it another way,
1) cut the hot (+12v) wire that now goes from the van to the backup light(s)
2) connect the cut wire that goes to the bulb to the center pole of the switch
3) connect the other side of the cut wire (that comes from the van backup signal) and connect it to one side of the SPDT switch (NORMAL POSITION)
4) connect a new wire from 12V + (aux battery) to the other side of the SPDT switch (BYPASS ON POSITION)

That way, flipping the switch will disconnect the van's hot wire to the light, and instead provide 12V+ directly to the light (with no possibility that the van 12V will "back feed" into the van;s computer.)

Bonus! IF you forget to flip the SPDT switch back to Normal, the dash will tell you you have a burnt out backup light... ie. no load on the backup lighting circuit.

Makes sense to me, but *** no guarantees expressed or implied!

I did something very similar to allow me the turn the interior cargo lights on from the back door of the van.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I haven't searched yet to see if it's already been talked about (I will in a bit), but since this thread is active:
Has anyone thought about or tried using the factory camera and adding a bigger aftermarket monitor?
I'd like to leave the factory camera in, but mount a bigger screen where the clip board is. Is there a video cable from the cam that will unplug from the HU and into another monitor?
The 5" screen is way too small.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,551 Posts
KOV, my response was to the post by KNDL..... who wants to turn on the backup lights while parked. Not camera sdelection or uses.

RnR, seems like that would work... there Is a video out and ground wire that goes to the radio, and the camera is always powered. It shows on the radio screen when a separate trigger wire is grounded or when the computer tells it to display.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts