Ram Promaster Forum banner

Reverse rough on incline

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  corboulee 
#1 ·
Today I had to back up a steep hill, well I couldnt make it, or I bailed out , the thing just was jerking and struggling a slipping. This was a steep hill, maybe too much, has anyone have had this problem, most hills I have had to back up on it could do, but it is jumpy , and if you dont keep foot on break you will go forward..

#2 ·
I also notice slipping and a i Would call it rough sound on steep incline in reverse. I think it is normal? from my understanding I believe I read awhile back that the 62t? Transmission and reverse has a single clutch plate or something like that. I probably quoted that all wrong. But I will say this. I notice a huge difference if you give it a second in reverse before you slowly start to accelerate.

#3 ·
Both Good and Bad

Reversing up an incline is another example of poor engineering and sloppy design that exists throughout the Ram Promaster line of vans, including a poor sliding door which requires a hefty slam to engage locks with an poor ergonometric handle configuration, the goofy-est un intuitive turn signal design, ridiculous 'V' shaped bottom window sweep gaskets that capture & channel dust, sand and debris tight against the glass (hello Chrysler engineering lackies... these are supposed to be work vehicles presumed to be on dirty, dusty work sites!). Both of my front windows are etched with vertical sand scratches. Even if you take a hose or compressed air, it is very difficult to dislodge debris from this channel design. Never experienced this problem with any other truck. There's more - the most imbecilic door lock design ever created. There is a rear doors lock/unlock button on the drivers door, which makes sense and works great. There is another on the center of the dash, great if you are reaching in from the passenger side, like you would if accessing the sider, but it was locked. Guess what dash button doesn't unlock the rear doors. If I have some long lumber sticking out through the back doors and I want to lock the cab doors for security? Nope can't do that... all doors must be closed to lock up. Dumb! There are more things like the motorized side mirrors which sometimes work, sometimes don't sometimes left, sometimes right, sometimes part way. Bottom line : Dodge is the low price point company. You get what you pay for. You pay less, you get mediocre. The sad thing is that there are many great parts of this vehicle... great engine, great transmission (when going forward), great upshift/downshift feature, great fuel economy, great brakes, great overall design/layout, great infotainment (designed by Blackberry/QNX), great comfortable seats and driver position...hey, I got a great price with an allowance for upfitter rear shelving, and when the dealer didn't follow the letter of the manufacturer's contract, Chrysler sent me a check for $500! What a mixed experience.... mostly good....why? Because they have done all the most important things right, but they have dropped the ball on many of these design issues, which is just a matter of focus and attention to detail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.