Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ram PM 3500 High Top 159" WB EXT
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right section to post this in (correct me if I should move it), but my van came with the factory wood floor. I was wondering if there's any reason I couldn't put my insulation down (I'm thinking 1/2" polyiso boards) and then the factory floor back on top as a subfloor instead of other plywood, then whatever flooring on top of that (vinyl for instance). If quality/durability was the main goal, what would you do? I'm assuming there is much higher quality plywood I could use compared to whatever the factory floor is made of?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I wanted the factory floor to do the same thing. It's a composite material so it shouldn't warp or rot. And it already has a finished surface.
But, I could only find a van with the 1/4" plastic mat.
So I used plywood.
But I would've used 1/2" polyiso and put the factory "wood" floor back in over it, if I had it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted the factory floor to do the same thing. It's a composite material so it shouldn't warp or rot. And it already has a finished surface.
But, I could only find a van with the 1/4" plastic mat.
So I used plywood.
But I would've used 1/2" polyiso and put the factory "wood" floor back in over it, if I had it.
Would you have put any flooring over it or used it as the top floor? Its nice and durable but pretty ugly IMO and id like a nice smooth finish. Im thinking vinyl in some fashion (wrap or planks).

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I would have left it as is. But 1, I'm cheap, 2, the van is used as a DD and will be used to haul building material.
When used for a road trip, it's easy enough to through little carpets down if desired.
Even if I wanted to do a full camper and put finish flooring over it, I mighy still use it just for the fact that it's already made, it's already one piece and you don't have to worry about it warping or soaking up water.
The only thing I don't know is if the tie down bolts hold it down, or if there's large holes there and you'd have to fasten it some other way.
Also, if it's a good material to fasten to, like plywood is good to screw cabinets to.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would have left it as is. But 1, I'm cheap, 2, the van is used as a DD and will be used to haul building material.
When used for a road trip, it's easy enough to through little carpets down if desired.
Even if I wanted to do a full camper and put finish flooring over it, I mighy still use it just for the fact that it's already made, it's already one piece and you don't have to worry about it warping or soaking up water.
The only thing I don't know is if the tie down bolts hold it down, or if there's large holes there and you'd have to fasten it some other way.
Also, if it's a good material to fasten to, like plywood is good to screw cabinets to.
There are large holes there and the plastic retainer for the hole is not flush on the bottom of the wood floor, so another solution would be required to bolt it through the tie down spots. Yea your last point is my big concern as well. I think it's only 3/8" thick and not sure what exactly it's made of so might not be easy to work with as plywood.

Looks like most people use between 1/2" and 3/4" plywood. I'll just continue to research... but I'm thinking I'll get rid of the factory floor and use some high quality plywood. Now being able to tell what high quality plywood looks like will be a whole other thing, I'm a computer nerd not a carpenter (yet) :)

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
3/4" quality plywood will be expensive. If you don't mind giving up an extra 1/4" of height and can squeeze it into the budget, 3/4" is a good choice.
Some go with high quality 1/2", but that's not exactly cheap either.
I met in the middle and did a medium quality 5/8". Wasn't super heavy to work with, reasonable price and enough meat to screw into.
I just made sure to install it immediately before it had time to sit around, collect humidity and strat to warp.
I have the same large holes in my factory mat. While it was in the van, I stuck painter's tape to the bottom to cover the holes. Then, making sure the mat was perfectly in place, I marked and poked where the tie down holes were in the tape. I laid my plywood out in the backyard, laid the mat over the plywood, traced the outline and transferred the holes.
Pretty sure I took a pic.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is super helpful, thank you! Headroom is a concern... I'm 6' and would like to keep as much headroom as possible. 1/2" baltic birch might do the trick, wonder how it holds up over time with all the cabinetry, bed, etc on top of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts